Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times

Advertisements

Paula Deen of the Food Network has the most gorgeous gray hair. She uses something on it, obviously, because sometimes it is more gray than other times.
Is there a hairdresser on this forum that would have some idea of where you can purchase dye to turn my whitish-silver hair a great gray color like Paula Deen has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
I googled some images of her and got a ton...a ton of different hair colors too...Could you post a specific picture of her when she had the desired color you are after?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/eat.../pauladeen.jpg

Gorgeous color. All one color, so it definitely is dyed or toned or something, but it ain't natural! How can I get that?
I've done a ton of things to my hair, so I am willing to go where the un-trained usually aren't willing to go..haha!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM

She probably bleaches her hair and tones it. It looks to me she has at least 2 different shades of grey going on for depth. It looks very light in the front with some darker grey around her nape. So she lifts her hair to a level 10 (bleach) and then tones it with 2 shades of grey/silver.

Can you post a picture of your hair?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM

You can always go to a stylist for a super heavy highlight (with bleach) and then tone your highlights with a silver/grey toner.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Don't laugh, but I don't know how to post photos on the net yet.
However, my hair is more white with gray streaks in it having been really dark brown at one time.
When you tone your hair, don't you have to do it more often than with dying?
Paula has her stylists...I am too cheap to spend $150 every month. Sad but true.
If you super heavy highlight with bleach, seems to me that gray hair would break seeing that it is so dry anyway.
Maybe the right answer is to go for some lowlights in the hair? Yes???? That would give it definition.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Well, if you bleach your entire hair and tone it you would have to deal with monthly regrowth (roots). If it were highlighted with bleach and toned it down you could let it slide a little longer. There won't be such a definite root line.

I would really need to see your hair to tell you what exactly to do. I have a mental picture but it could be totally wrong.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:46 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Ask Paula

Why don't you send her webpage a question and ask? Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised by the answers. And BTW: My hair is totally natural and grows much the same way...it's dark at the back and almost totally white on top and on the sides. When it's longer it looks like I have very white-silver hair with lowlights.

After chemo last year it grew back silver white at the top and sides, darker mid-point, and VERY dark at the nape of the neck. Unfortunately, the nape also came back VERY kinky curly....but for the most part the color is cool.

Now I have to decide if I'm really off the bottle or not....still not used to having grey hair no matter how cool it is.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 110,883 times
Paula probably lets her stylist do as she pleases. Her hair is one of her glorys.
I think maybe they apply Shimmering Lights on occasion. She really like volume in her hair. If you look closely Paula has a beautiful face. She could shave her head and still be gorgeous.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 10,707 times
I happened along this blog this evening and last night I read on some other website that Paula Deen uses purple dog shampoo, for white dogs for her beutiful hair color. It gives gray hair that tone, and they said it actually is dog shampoo for white haired dogs and she admitted on some show whe did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care