Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
If friends & family are all telling you the same thing, I would think they have your best interest at heart. You may like the cut but it may not be flattering. Try something different for a change. You can always go back to your old style.
Please see post #20, point #3.

It doesn't look "bad" or "unflattering" on me...it's just not "trendy", at the moment. I could care less about the latest fashions that happen to be in style...what is fashionable today, won't be tomorrow. Hence I prefer the more classic / timeless look, even if it's not what's currently considered "chic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Hmm....I guess I could try the "more modern" variation of the style that I mentioned earlier, a little more frequently...

Even if it means using hair gel (ick!! ) I bought some from my hair salon just for that very purpose, but I dislike applying hair gel so much that I ended up giving it to my sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
There is a middle ground somewhere between the black and white answers you and your family are stuck on. First and foremost, yes, you are allowed to have your hair however the heck you like it. So if that's in a bright pink mohawk? Go for it. It's your life.

The flip side of that coin is that if I had multiple close acquaintances telling me that my hairstyle was not very flattering on me, there's probably something to be gained by listening. A flattering or unflattering hairstyle can make a dramatic difference in someone's appearance.

This isn't to say that you need to completely abandon the style that you love, but is there a way to update it slightly, perhaps change it from something that screams "80's" to something a little more classic? My husband does not have a super trendy style by any means, but he has a timeless, standard male cut that works well for his face shape. It's a compromise. Also, as others have wisely said, hair grows quickly. You have nothing to lose by trying an updated cut. If it turns out you hate it, it will grow out within a few months. If it turns out you like it and get a lot of compliments, you may decide it wasn't such a bad thing.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-12-2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos

Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
If friends & family are all telling you the same thing, I would think they have your best interest at heart. You may like the cut but it may not be flattering. Try something different for a change. You can always go back to your old style.
If they have my best interests at heart, they sure have a verbally harsh and cruel way of showing it

But seriously, I very much doubt they say it because they care...I think it's much more to do with the fact that they feel I "embarrass" them, by sporting a renegade look (according to their standards anyway).

Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Pictures please!!

I bet it looks cool! Don't change a thing!
Haha, thx Ya I used to have pics available on the C-D site, but I eventually became concerned with the whole online privacy thing, and ended up deleting them. You can never be too careful...especially since some ppl (not referring to anyone here in particular, just generally) can be rather mean and nosy, if they don't happen to like you...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Reasons I prefer to keep it, as it is:

1. I don't care at all about peer pressure; it doesn't work on me and I am essentially 100% immune to it. If I want to do something my way and someone else doesn't like it, that's unfortunate but that doesn't mean I'm gonna change it, just because they happen to disapprove.

2. Easy to comb and style, particularly early in the morning, right before work.

3. I actually think it looks good, not bad on me, aesthetically -- the issue I think that some people have is merely that it's considered to be rather outdated. In fact if it were still say 1988 or 1992, I might even have gotten compliments instead of criticisms about it.

4. Style works well with a person like me who has "a lot" of hair that grows quickly and needs frequent cuts.
Knight, with all kindness intended, I think you're seeing this a little too much in black and white. Yes, if we could time warp back to 1980, you would probably fit in perfectly. However, the same could be said for anything. I could dress like a 18th century countess, but I should expect to get a few weird looks in the frozen foods aisle of the grocery store.

Additionally, while I respect your "but it looks good on me" position, I think you're being too stubborn on this one. Chances are with all the hairstyles out there, you could find some other more current hairstyle that could also be pulled off without too much gel or other maintenance.

Now, IF you are prepared for the consequences of having a very outdated and (by today's standards) unflattering style, then do whatever you like. But then we should not see any posts complaining, "Why don't women want to date me?" when we're giving you the insight that an unflattering or way outdated cut may be a huge turn-off. You may not care much how the cut looks, but I have to tell you that your target audience (women) tend to care more about that kind of thing then men do. Plus, you need to consider that your family and friends (who have all actually seen you, where we haven't) are saying the same thing, that this haircut is doing you no favors.

If it was me, I would question whether it might not be better for me overall in the long run if I updated a bit. You don't have to, but then you don't get to complain if potential girlfriends aren't interested because of it. This is an easy thing to potentially change for the better, compared to a lot of the stuff you've posted struggling with in the past. I'm a little surprised you wouldn't consider it.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 PM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Let me ask you this: Do you have bangs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care