Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM

302 posts, read 885,747 times

Advertisements

I want a good flat iron. My biggest concerns are doing as little damage to my hair as possible (I already use heat protecting spray, but I'm sure there are some flat irons out there that are better for hair than others), and having plates that do not catch my hair.

I don't need it to flatten and dry at the same time, curl, or do anything besides flatten. I have normal to fine hair, but a lot of it, color treated, and long.

I was recommended one by Paul Mitchell, but it was $230! I'm sure I can find something of good quality for under $200. I love the Paul Mitchell products, and already use their hair color, shampoo, and conditioner, but I am definitely willing to look at other brands.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Just pick something that you can adjust the temp with. Some of those no temp control ones get way too hot. I get impatient and want to work fast with mine and always end up killing my hair when I put it on the super hot temps made for thicker hair. Check out beautychoice.com. They have "open box" sales and some deals on other higher end ones.

I am so terrible with the flat iron because I get lazy. It not only the flat iron you have to worry about. But you have to do all the deep conditioning and have a good conditioner/shampoo too. Every single time I skip those deep conditioning, heat treatments and good shampoo/conditioner combos...I want to kick myself. It always ends in me chopping it off due to damage. Don't be lazy like me! Save your hair! ☺

Some tips:
-get clips and section off your hair for the flat iron
-never hold the flat iron on a piece of hair, slide it through as fast as a slow brushing
-allow whatever you flattened to cool before you take down another section to do
-comb your hair section out and then slide the flat iron through <----this just makes it LOOK so much better and helps avoid side snaggies. I use a rat-tail comb because its easy to help pick through sections and easy to hold with your hand or mouth while working.
- Get your hair strait as possible with a low temp hair dryer or air dry to minimize damage
- NEVER flat iron wet. NEVER EVER EVER!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Chi

Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I really like the InStyler thing I bought, but with fine color treated hair, it takes it's toll with too much use. So, I'm not sure if there is anything out there you can use on a regular basis without it causing some damage. Hair can be very sensitive. I guess sometimes we have to choose whether to play with the texture or the color....and not try to do both at the same time.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Chi is supposed to be the best, but they're expensive. I have a 1" Revlon flatiron that cost $10. It works ok, not as well as when my hairdresser straightened it. I also have a Hot Tools 1 1/2" curling iron like my hairdresser uses., which cost $35. That's for when I feel like curling my wavy hair instead of straightening it. It takes longer though. I should probably buy an Instyler next.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 28,757 times
TJ Maxx & Marshall's has very good flat irons for half the price. I bought a Rusk flat iron that is digital and gives my AA natural hair a silky bounce when I'm through.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM

302 posts, read 885,747 times
I ended up with the cheaper Paul Mitchell one It doesn't do all the styling stuff the other one does, but has the same plates and temp settings, so it was more in my price range. If it is awesome, I'll let you all know!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
All I can tell you is I bought mine for $19.99 and it works perfectly fine. Try a cheap one and if you don't like it then buy a better one.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 15,950 times
A little about plate quality:

* Aluminum – 90’s and low quality, will stick to your hair and terrible results.

* Colored Plates – Stay away from these, they may look nice but they are for show and they are not good for your hair.

* Ceramic Plates – White or Yellowish color plate – These plates are good but they are older technology from around 2002. Many companies still use these as it is cheaper to manufacture than a tourmaline ceramic plate.
* Titanium Plates – Gun Metal Grey color – These are great plates and provide great results. These and Tourmaline Ceramic plates are about the same in quality but work different with different hair types. You would need to try both to see which one provides the best results for your hair type.
* Tourmaline Ceramic – Gun Metal Grey in color – These are currently the best plates on the market. currently I only see Karmin and Sedu using these plates. It appears all the other brands are focused on cutting costs by using the cheaper plates.

Some features you should look for:
* Variable Temperature Control (If you have thick hair make sure it heats up to at least 420F)
* Swivel Cord
* At least a 3 year warranty (most hair straighteners will die in the first year or two)
* If you travel then make sure its dual voltage

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Owner of 5 salons with 12 years of experience.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: New members may not post recommendations or links.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
do not skimp and buy a cheap one in my opinion, I don't believe its a good decision when it comes to your hair, and applying such high heat to it. I have been using a sedu, solano or chi flat iron going on 10 years or more now. go to folica.com they have reviews and good prices too....and a great warranty. but yes, chose one with adjustable heat, preferably up to 450.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care