Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 30,063 times

Advertisements

I recently decided to go natural . I've wanted to for the last few years but wasn't willing to commit. My turning point was when my six year old told me she wanted to wear her hair straight and down. I love her naturally curly texture but she wanted to be more like mommy. I realized that if I didn't start loving my own hair she would grow to hate hers. After doing the big chop a few weeks ago I am happy decision. Going natural is a choice that should not be taken lightly. It can be expensive initially but no more expensive than weekly or bi-weekly visits to a hair salon. After over a decade of relaxing my hair my texture is coarse and brittle. I'm working on using natural products and if anyone has some hair care recipes I'd love to hear them. I hope that by making my own hair products I'll be able to save some cash and have healthier hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 13,139 times
WOW I'm surprised that nobody actually posted on this.. I'm looking to move to the WV area and I've been transitioning for the last 5 months in braids and kinky twist. I'm not completely natural yet, but i do enjoy the trader joes shampoo and cond. I was surprised on how much slip the cond had to my hair. Another good cond is VO5, it has allot of slip and smell sooo good. I know allot of other natural sisters enjoy the natural Jason's products or the Giovanni products. Me personally the Trader Joes work just as good and only cost 2.99 a piece. You can find allot of natural products at Ross and TJ Maxx. My hair texture is a 4a/4b so its a sandy brown and course texture so I require allot of moisture. I've been using raw shea butter and vitamin e oil on my scalp. That's help tremendously. If your familiar with youtube that will help you allot with your natural hair journey. Its helped me tremendously, I have 7 more months before my big chop and I'm ready. I hope this helped you. Take Care.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 30,063 times
I've actually started making my own conditioners, hair creams, and hair butters. I've found that I like the results better than anything I've bought in the store. I don't do the whole my hair is this grade. I don't think that is a tool that is really helpful. but thanks for your input. I'm staying out of the shop except for when i need a trim and working on doing my own hair.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I will say initially it can be expensive because if you shop for the products in the store, it takes some time figuring out what products work best on your hair.

I buy conditioner about once a month.

I get my hair cut about once a month as well. I'm being cheap at the moment so I've gone about 6 weeks without getting my hair cut. I'll be going within the next two weeks though. As much as I like my fro, I like a close cut.

You can find some great DIY conditioners and such on Nappturality dot com.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 19,516 times
When you make your own conditioners what do you use. I've been natural for about a month, this is my second time going natural and my last perm was in July 2009 and I regretted getting that retouch because i would've had a lot more new growth when i did my big chop almost a month ago. I use Suave conditioner and i bought some V05 but it has coloring and fragrance and i read that that may not be good for your hair and i use Pantene conditioner for natural and permed hair. I also use Garnier Fructise leave in conditioner and heard that they have a good curly serum for naturally curly hair. Natural oils that i use are coconut oil, virgin olive oil, grape seed and jojoba oil.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM

71 posts, read 243,763 times
Hello Ladies!!!

this is a great site that's geared toward you post. i go there all the time, as a matter of fact I'm currently waiting for my membership to be approved.

Hope this helps

Black Hair Media Hair Forum

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 13,448 times
Big chop 11mos ago. No regrets. Getting to know my hair and loving it. I learned a lot about caring for it and products on youtube. There is no one product that works best. My stylist encourages me to try different prodcts to see what works best for me and my budget. I check in with her and get her professional opinion. She is my best expert on my hair and she has embraced me going natural. Good luck. You have a lot of company now with natural hair. Products have come a long way and we are more educated than in the past.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,398 times
Going natural is a hassle and so high-maintenance.....remember why you got a perm in the first place?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 40,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Going natural is a hassle and so high-maintenance.....remember why you got a perm in the first place?
I agree with this. I cut off a lot of my damaged hair earlier this year and just tried working with my natural hair. It was so high maintenance and I just couldn't deal with the hassle of keeping it from drying out and sleeping with a shower cap on my head every night. I respect the decision to do it and if I had more money, I'd really like to try it again, but at the end of the day, I gave up and put the latch hooks back into my hair. When I finally got sick of the braids pulling my thin hair out, I went back to wearing those fake ponytails. I guess for the most part my real hair is more natural than it used to be, but I just couldn't deal with working with my real hair.

It's really sad because when I decided to go natural, there was no one else in my family to ask for advice. I had to rely on youtube and various websites to help me cope. If my mom or at least another relative had been natural and been able to give steady advice, I may have stayed natural. But for now, it's the drawstring ponytail.

I hate hair commercials where the women can just run their hands through their hair and just have it look gorgeous and easy to maintain. I've never even let anyone except for a couple of relatives touch my hair. I hate that I have to use brown, yucky gel in my hair to smooth it back into almost a hardened state with that fake hair attached to my head.

It also makes intimate moments kind of awkward when you know that you don't want to lay on that ponytail because of those itchy combs, but you also don't want to have to take your hair down, which won't really be "down" because it's essentially glued to your head, lol.

Sorry for the rant. I just realized I'm kind of still beefing with my hair, lol. Damn you, Beyonce with your beautiful $20,000 weaves!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM

26 posts, read 48,783 times
Woo-hoo! Good for you!! It's an amazing experience. I did it and never looked back. Getting relaxers was a mindless activity for me, I had never thought of the alternative. Thank you internet. I love my natural hair, it goes with my personality perfectly and everyone knows me by my hair. The only strange moments were the transitioning stage. Besides that, it's been pretty easy.

The internet is your friend in these times. Use it! I go to LHCF, it's my favorite place besides CD. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care