Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

1970's Earth Born Shampoo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

THIS is what I used back then. This is what the chemist gave me and told me was the best and this was the one that got me the huge compliment on shininess. We did not wash our hair more than once a week because there is no need to and it will only strip your hair of its natural oils unless you have really oily hair. The weekly hair washing was a big production---washing your hair in the sink with this type of shampoo, using a little bit of Tame, and setting it and waiting. May have used a hair dryer (hand held) over the brush curlers. Shampoos were "natural" and supposedly made from fruit.

Sometimes we would rinse our hair in beer. We used Tame as a conditioner or cream rinse.

Thanks for bringing up this topic--I'm going back to read about the shampoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think it was the Faberge Organics.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1981-Faberge-Organics-hair-KIM-ALEXIS-beauty-PRINT-AD-/06/!B8!ERugBWk~$(KGrHqMOKpoEy+jC1SJWBM1y!N,cpw~~_35.J PG (broken link)

Or maybe the Body on Tap, LemonUp, Clairol Herbal Essence, Protein 21, or whatever flavor du jour we dumped on our heads. LOL

I used orange juice cans and giant bobby pins.
U forgot gee your hair smells terrific.
We were huge fans of that Farrah Fawcett faberge stuff,
It smelled heavenly!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 76,543 times
Does any shampoo help us to Strengthens hair root, one of my friend use this AllDayChemist - Ayur Herbal Shampoo
But she already had healthy and beautiful hairs before using this.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

125 posts, read 260,058 times
I had fun reading this topic, thanks for all your contributions. I'm glad some people mentioned nutrition, it's pretty certain that the food supply and people's eating habits have gone downhill since the seventies. Mainly the soil is stripped of minerals, because the chemical farming kills the microorganisms in the soil which break down the minerals for the plants to use. So the plants don't have as many minerals in them as they used to, and the processing removes most of the rest.
Minerals are important for health in general and they really help your hair.

There were way less styling products available, the drugstore shelves were like, Dippity Do and Aqua-Net and that's about it. Very few people colored their hair, only old ladies to hide gray. People didn't start using haircolor as a matter of course until the late eighties. Even in the mid eighties it was kind of fashion-forward to color your hair. Does anyone not color their hair now?

There was a link posted earlier in the thread to a page of celebrities bringing back the feathered haircut and Farah Fawcett side volume styles, it appears it fell off the site but I looked for it! Would love to see :-) Once I went looking for pictures of David Cassidy's hair from the 70s, cute cute cute cute cute, check it out on google images. The boys could bring that back, I wouldn't mind!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
LOL your thread title immediately brough back memories of Clairol's Herbal Essence shampoo and Wella Balsam conditioner!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 AM

741 posts, read 1,379,600 times
I enjoyed this topic very much.

This may pre-date the 1970's...my mother was a model. The only shampoo she ever used was Lustre-creme. It was a thick pink cream in a large white plastic container. She would also dilute it for washing her face, which is what I do with Aveda Shampure now.

I think she had it delivered to her in bulk. She also kept a tub of it on the kitchen counter, diluted it for dishwashing (pre-machine days) and would dab it on paper towels or "rags" to polish chrome. When dogs or cats came in from outdoors she would also dab their feet with it before they could come inside.

Anyway- I think it is now available on Vermont Store online, but is it the same? I don't know.

As a model in those days her hair was fairly short, maybe a chin length bob. When she had a big show or photo shoot she would have wigs and as I remember never really used conditioning much less heated appliances at home.

But she had good hair- thick, straight and shiny!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I enjoyed this topic very much.

This may pre-date the 1970's...my mother was a model. The only shampoo she ever used was Lustre-creme. It was a thick pink cream in a large white plastic container. She would also dilute it for washing her face, which is what I do with Aveda Shampure now.

I think she had it delivered to her in bulk. She also kept a tub of it on the kitchen counter, diluted it for dishwashing (pre-machine days) and would dab it on paper towels or "rags" to polish chrome. When dogs or cats came in from outdoors she would also dab their feet with it before they could come inside.

Anyway- I think it is now available on Vermont Store online, but is it the same? I don't know.

As a model in those days her hair was fairly short, maybe a chin length bob. When she had a big show or photo shoot she would have wigs and as I remember never really used conditioning much less heated appliances at home.

But she had good hair- thick, straight and shiny!
She used the same product on her hair, face, to wash dishes and to polish chrome???!!!

Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Default 1970s Shampoo Commercials

1970s Shampoo Commercials:

This Lustre Cream spot is tagged as 1970s but it looks more like the 1960s:

A classic 70s "natural" ad:

A very young Kim Basinger promoting a beer shampoo:

Prell:

Alberto Balsam:

Farrah, the future Angel, couldn't make up her mind on what shampoo to use. First it was Head & Shoulders (with future Laverne and movie director Penny Marshall as her roommate!)

Then it was Wella Balsam (can't find that one), and then she got her own line of hair products. This didn't last long:

Another future Charlie's Angel:

But a few years earlier, she was a Breck Girl:

I remember Tame Creme Rinse:

I don't remember this one at all. I expect lions to come running. At least she has a blonde mane:

Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
I remember using creme rinse but now I don't know what the difference was between that and conditioner..??

I also remember using Wella Balsam and "Gee, your hair smells..." and Prell. I was born in 71 so I was just a kid but I was very "into" my hair and hair care routine from age 8 or 9.

I remember my mother having wigs too, her hair being kind of short and her having long wigs, same color, and I think back on it and wonder how she stood it in the Texas heat!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I didn't exist in the 70's,but I think it was camera effects.

Notice how their skin also looked REALLY shiny and greasy?
Their skin looked gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care