Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times

Advertisements

Just popping in to offer support for going gray. I started coloring about 5 years ago, just to play with color, not necessarily to cover gray. Then as my hair really started to get gray, I found the upkeep to be just unwieldy and had already warned my stylist that I was going to stop the coloring in the not-too-distant future. When my husband was diagnosed with cancer, that abruptly ended my coloring - I no longer had 2 hours to sit in a chair every month.

It's great to not have to deal with all that mess and expense. I'm comfortable with who I am and how old I am. No need to try to fool anyone. A good cut and well-moisturized hair are essential, but gray ladies can be totally hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
I'm 33 years old and have battling those random grays since I was 20. Always dyed my hair since, you know, women can't show gray in society . But I stopped dying it about two years ago when I decided to start growing my hair looong. I decided I wanted to get my hair really healthy again (so many years of dying and especially boxed color had caused damage). It's halfway down my back and getting so nice and shiny and luxurious, I don't even care about the sparse grays that are probably more noticeable to me than anyone else. I get more compliments now on my hair than I ever did before. I just hate when I get those weird stiff grays that stick straight up on my head-they're like insect hairs.

Do what you want! You'll probably be more pleased with the results than you imagine.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,095 times
I want this book!

I think the worst part about going grey would be the the growing-out period, for those of us who have used hair color for years (long before grey became an issue). If I can find a way to do that gracefully, I will be proud to join team Silver Fox.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I am a 45 year old woman who has been battling with gray hair since my early 20's. No matter who does my hair ( stylist or at home products) my gray's start to show in two weeks. I really hate messing with my hair and am thinking of just letting it go natural. Any opinions?

noooooooo your going to look like a ole bag. Just get your roots done every two weeks

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
noooooooo your going to look like a ole bag. Just get your roots done every two weeks
Nooooo,dont color,youll end up looking like a hag who wants to be a young thing.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
I am 53 and have friends who are gray and look great but they all have a darker skin tone and the contrast really works for them. For me my skin tends to look kind of yellow and sallow so the gray just looks terrible. i go in every 4-5 weeks get a cut and color it cost around 75.00, shoulder length hair, but I'm pretty frugal in other areas so it's my splurge. It really helps with the texture of my hair too it tends to frizz and the color actually tames it. i think it improves the condition of my hair. I may change my mind as I get even older but for now going to stick with covering the gray!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Well that wasn't rude or juvenile at all....

I'll be 36 this year, and I have had a few silvers growing in for a few years now, and I leave em be. I want to end up like my great-grandmother did, with a head of beautiful silver hair to her butt.

Personally, I think it's sexy when I woman is well put together and doesn't hide her greys.

Count me in on the pro silver fox team!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 84,726 times
I started going gray in my late 30's, but dyed my hair to cover until about two years ago (I was 50). I looked at a picture of myself and realized the color I was using (which was actually the color of my hair in my youth) was harsh and draining of the color in my face. FWIW I am fair with green eyes and my hair had been medium brown with a red cast. I decided to let my hair go natural and see how it looked. After five months of no dying I decided to cut it very short to hasten the process. Everyone around me was negative, saying I'd look old and why did I want to do that to my children (9 and 10 yrs)..people would think I am their grandma, etc. Well, here I am two years later with my hair growing out longer and people love it. I get lots of compliments now..far more than I did when my hair was colored, even from men! Lots of men love the more natural look, mine is salt/pepper at this point, but heading towards white someday. I am careful to wear some makeup, bought new more flattering eyeglasses and wear colors which are complimentary. My husband tells me to never dye again..he loves it now and everyone actually tells me I look younger. I look at older women who dye their hair dark and sometimes it just looks desperate and unflattering, and a well put together woman with natural gray looks more attractive...

Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM

304 posts, read 617,062 times
Personally, I find gray hair aging. I would color every two weeks rather than ever go gray. Perhaps try Light Mountain Henna in "cover your gray" (they make two formulas - one for gray)? I have never tried henna, but am considering it. That way at least you won't suffer damaged hair if you have to do it often.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
In Oregon we see a lot of women letting their gray show or grow out, even younger women in their twenties. It's actually good to see that.

I'm not that brave, however. I sometimes wish I was. Maybe it's the Texan in me (having nice hair is a big deal where I come from), but when I look in the mirror and see a gray hair I feel like I'm "letting myself go" and it also makes me feel old. I'm not old. (Yet. )

I've been checking this out:
Henna Hair Dyes

There are also youtube videos that show and tell you more about it... how to do it... before and afters, etc...
Lush Cosmetics - Les Caca Marron Hair Henna - YouTube

Lushcosmetics - YouTube

Anyway - I don't like nasty things like para-phenylenediamine which is in just about every single "box" and salon hair color that's out there... and going bald, chemical burns, cancer, and spending gobs of money at the salon aren't fun ideas, either. (Though the past two times I colored my hair, I did go to a salon... but I just can't stomach spending that kind of money everytime my gray hairs decide to show up to the party...)

I think it takes guts for women - especially younger women - to let their gray hairs show. I respect you ladies! I think when I'm 40 I'll be able to try that out... but until then... thank goodness for henna....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care