U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM

5,143 posts, read 11,453,685 times

Advertisements

I am always battling dryness for my hair.

Anyway I just used my shampoo and conditioner as normal.
Then while the conditioner was soaking in I put coconut oil on the ends and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse and !

It really worked well if anyone wants to amp up their conditioner. The oil alone didn't do the same thing.

I liked the coconut oil as it stays solidish until the room gets around 80 and then it starts to melt. I just put a glob in a mini dressing container from ziplock so I didnt have the whole tub in there taking up way too much room.
Don't have to worry about dripping water etc in it either as its not the main jar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,877,977 times
Cool! Another good way to utilize coconut or jojoba oil is to add a drop or two to your leave in conditioner. I just put a blob of cond. in my hand,add the oil then mix together,add a little water(to make it runnier) and run through freshly washed and conditioned hair. Works for my coarse hair like a charm!!

Greenchili

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

5,143 posts, read 11,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Cool! Another good way to utilize coconut or jojoba oil is to add a drop or two to your leave in conditioner. I just put a blob of cond. in my hand,add the oil then mix together,add a little water(to make it runnier) and run through freshly washed and conditioned hair. Works for my coarse hair like a charm!!

Greenchili

Hmm....I may have to get some jojoba and try that with my spray in a bottle on the side. How much water would you say you use per drop? What is your leave in?

I don't have to skip deep conditioning days with my method anymore. Sometimes the oil would just be too much for my fine hair and I would have to take a break from it. (which left me doing major repair and care on my ends)

Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,014,847 times
I like this; it does soften the hair. I may try it with olive oil, since that seems to help more with detangling.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,877,977 times
About 2-3 small drops!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 AM

3,224 posts, read 6,523,093 times
Yep, this is exactly what I do-a little coconut oil mixed into the conditioner. I do this once a week or so and there's a noticeable increase in shine and silkiness, and less frizz.

I personally don't like using straight olive oil in my hair, for some reason it makes it really oily and heavy. And I have every thick hair to begin with, so who knows. I don't use much either. Does anyone use other oils...almond, sunflower, peach kernal for instance?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,014,847 times
^^ I've used jojoba oil and jamaican black castor oil in leave-in conditioners. The latter oil is thick but I think it's good for making my hair feel smooth and soft. Jojoba is also good and it's lighter.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM

639 posts, read 742,216 times
coconut oil is awesome! You can also get it premixed with a lot of healthy hair herbs from India, if you have an Indian grocery nearby look for Vatika in the green bottle.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM

639 posts, read 742,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Yep, this is exactly what I do-a little coconut oil mixed into the conditioner. I do this once a week or so and there's a noticeable increase in shine and silkiness, and less frizz.

I personally don't like using straight olive oil in my hair, for some reason it makes it really oily and heavy. And I have every thick hair to begin with, so who knows. I don't use much either. Does anyone use other oils...almond, sunflower, peach kernal for instance?
I noticed almond oil for hair at a Mexican grocery store, I may buy it next pay day. It smells good and I have used it on skin before

Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM

14,150 posts, read 14,812,017 times
I tried this the other night, and my hair air-dried pretty great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care