Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM

639 posts, read 828,001 times

Advertisements

I usually use Vo5 Moistuire Milks or Suave tropical coconut. I just got a bottle of Vo5 Shea/Vanilla, it is AWESOME, it also has mango and cocoa butters too. What else do people use, if you co-wash and avoid silicones and sulfates? I know Trader Joe has a good no-sulfate no cone shampoo with tea tree oil, and from what people say it has marshmallow root in it that gives it slip, I may try that too. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
I've usually heard this referred to as no 'poo, as described by the Curly Girl method. I've dabbled, but haven't had the patience or drive to let it work its magic. Apparently you start out looking and feeling greasy but your scalp eventually adjusts. I've never done it long enough to adjust in part because I don't necessarily want to sport my curly hair all the time.

But I do try to use minimal shampoo and avoid sulfates. I use just enough to wash my scalp and a drop the size of a dime seems plenty.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I've usually heard this referred to as no 'poo, as described by the Curly Girl method. I've dabbled, but haven't had the patience or drive to let it work its magic. Apparently you start out looking and feeling greasy but your scalp eventually adjusts. I've never done it long enough to adjust in part because I don't necessarily want to sport my curly hair all the time.

But I do try to use minimal shampoo and avoid sulfates. I use just enough to wash my scalp and a drop the size of a dime seems plenty.
ya, a lot of people just dilute and use the bare minimum sulfate if they have greasy scalp. That is a good idea, saves money too

Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Pantene has a new, 'no sulfate' shampoo and conditioner line. I like the shampoo...don't care for the conditioner at all. I'll use something different!

I'm still hoping they bring back their "Clarifying" shampoo...that made my hair sparkle! Tons of comments about how shiny my hair was! Alas...they discontinued it...asses.!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM

Well, I changed it up recently. I use Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle shampoo, which is totally natural, and sometimes Vo5 Shea Cashmere conditioner which smells awesome

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
I've been doing the "CG" routine since 2002, for the first few years I was still using shampoo every 5-6 weeks to remove temporary color prior to retouching my roots but I eventually decided co-washing alone was enough so I only use shampoo now as hand wash or as a body wash after "enriching" it with vegetable glycerin and a mixture of vegetable oils.

In the beginning I used Avalon Organics (before they put a silicone in them) and a Tea Tree Cholesterol treatment from the ethnic beauty supply to wash my scalp, but then they started adding mineral oil to that brand so after my stash ran out I started using a variety of conditioners. In most recent times I've settled for various V05 ones to which sometimes I add a bit of oil (since most don't have any). Btw, I had the Shea Vanilla in my hand again tonight but decided to wait before I get it, I used to be a "PJ" (product junkie) so I have to be careful, besides, I recently bought a new bottle of a favorite and very inexpensive Olive Oil CO I get at the Dollar Tree, it's called Spa Haus Salon Conditioner.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

ya, I'm a dude and I have PJ tendencies lol. I went to the Indian grocery store to get FOOD yesterday, but then when I peeked in the henna/hair oil area, they had katha powder which I usually don't see in USA and I got that. (screw it I have enough American food at home) lol

Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Ah, haha, I wasn't sure! I also didn't know guys could succumb to being PJs, that's a new one for me!

Are you Indian, btw? When I lived in W. Palm Beach, FL I used to go regularly to an Indian grocery store and that's where I bought my coconut hair oil, also for cooking. I can't cook Indian food but I used to go there to get gluten-free alternatives for bread and crackers, also some vegetables. Just thinking about it I need to find out where the Indian stores are here in my new town...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Tresemme Naturals conditioner (I use the olive and avocado) is good. Karen's Body Beautiful Lucious Locks Mask is very good. For the Indian store shoppers, I like the Dabur Vatika hot oil conditioner. It smells great! These all have good slip. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a good cowash too.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Well, I changed it up recently. I use Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle shampoo, which is totally natural, and sometimes Vo5 Shea Cashmere conditioner which smells awesome
I've been dying to try the Trader Joe's, especially the Nourish Spa. But I am a conditioner junkie, so I am trying to be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care