Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Some women cut their hair very short as a "I don't care anymore" attitude. Those are the frumpy, blah ones....

Some women cut their hair very short as a stylish move. Halle Berry, Emma Watson, Michelle Williams, etc...

I don't base hair length on age either, I think that's silly. It's what works for each person. Height, weight, bone structure, face shape, skin condition, etc...

I'm pretty petite- 5'2", 108lbs. & I've worn my hair in a pixie since my early 20's. I have the Halle Berry kind of messy cut but I'm blond. I've totally retained my femininity. I wear light make up & love sundresses, etc.. Having a pixie cut is part of a look & you have to dress & accesorize to pull it off. Sure, if I wore my hair "marcy darcy", wore mom jeans, a flannel shirt, & "sensible shoes", I'd probably look like crap...

I've had no problem getting male attention, so don't fall for that "all men love long hair garbage". Plenty seem to think short hair is woman enough....if it's done right.

I was the first girl with short hair my now husband ever dated & I got more complaints from people when I tried to grow it out than when I cut it off. Say what you want, it works for some of us.

OK I agree with this! That sounds like a "look" - and a nice one!

I'm talking about woman who just cut their hair and look like they just don't care anymore.

Actually, to be fair, I've seen it in women with long hair also who just keep it in a pony tail.

It's the attitude. I just see the short hair thing here more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM

298 posts, read 627,846 times
I personally do not care for short hair on women and I am a woman. I have cut mine short twice in my lifetime and regretted it both times. Very few can pull it off and look good, such as Halle Barry, she could wear a bag over her head and still look great. The upkeep for most is way too much and many don't keep them in shape to remain stylish. I do think that long hair, at least to the shoulders, is more feminine and is much more versatile. With any hair cut it needs to be keep in shape but I think it's more so with short hair. My daughter (15) is tempted to cut her hair short and I cringe. She has these long Julia Roberts curls. Beautiful.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
It's hot here and I am in and out of the pool all day. I cut my hair short because I was tired of always LOOKING like I just got out of the pool. Short hair is easy to deal with and it keeps you cooler. I can wash it all I want and it dries fast.

I always had crappy hair, even when it was long. If I had beautiful hair to begin with, I would probably wear it longer. I have very curly hair and the longer it got, the bigger it got. When my hair was waist length, It looked like I was wearing a bushel basket on my head!

As my Mom aged, she kept her hair long. It was a beautiful silver but it did look witchy. She always wore it up and it was always coming undone. It looked awful. When I started caring for her, I told her the hair had to go. That haircut was a huge improvement and she was willing to keep it short after she saw the difference.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's hot here and I am in and out of the pool all day. I cut my hair short because I was tired of always LOOKING like I just got out of the pool. Short hair is easy to deal with and it keeps you cooler. I can wash it all I want and it dries fast.

I always had crappy hair, even when it was long. If I had beautiful hair to begin with, I would probably wear it longer. I have very curly hair and the longer it got, the bigger it got. When my hair was waist length, It looked like I was wearing a bushel basket on my head!

As my Mom aged, she kept her hair long. It was a beautiful silver but it did look witchy. She always wore it up and it was always coming undone. It looked awful. When I started caring for her, I told her the hair had to go. That haircut was a huge improvement and she was willing to keep it short after she saw the difference.
I think that a Betty White style looks perfect on elderly women. It's pretty bad when they keep a nice haircut but the 35 year old who doesn't care anymore lets herself go. If you are a heavy swimmer, I can see why you do what you do. At least that makes some sense.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I personally do not care for short hair on women and I am a woman. I have cut mine short twice in my lifetime and regretted it both times. Very few can pull it off and look good, such as Halle Barry, she could wear a bag over her head and still look great. The upkeep for most is way too much and many don't keep them in shape to remain stylish. I do think that long hair, at least to the shoulders, is more feminine and is much more versatile. With any hair cut it needs to be keep in shape but I think it's more so with short hair. My daughter (15) is tempted to cut her hair short and I cringe. She has these long Julia Roberts curls. Beautiful.
Yup! Some would say that if you can't turn heads with short hair, you were never a true beaut to begin with.

Those of you who have done it, continue to do it, pull it off, etc....Well, you're the true beauts in our midst!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM

114 posts, read 214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority among men, but I almost always prefer short hair on women. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about super short hair like the OP is talking about, though I think some women can even pull that off quite nicely. But I think Halle Berry looks much sexier with short hair (not that she's not also incredibly sexy with long hair, though). Also Sienna Miller, Katie Holmes, and many others. But that doesn't mean I think any short haircut looks better on those women. In fact, Katie Holmes is a good example.

I think this looks terrible on her:

http://www.haironthebrain.com/wp-con...aight-hair.jpg
Source

But I think this looks fantastic:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_30PRmkOl4r...400a073007.jpg
Source

I'm kinda like this too. I don't have a problem with short hair, I think it can look good. Like ear or neck length hair like in the pic with Katie Holms, that looks nice to me. I might even say that I prefer that look on a woman. Even shorter than that can work too.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I like the shorter hair, but have weird collicks in my hair so unless I use a lot of gel, super short sticks up weird in a lot of places on the head. I have not had my hair really long (mid-back) except back in 3rd grade. Way too much upkeep and shedding and electric shocks in the winter.
I like it best in a shorter chin length on myself personally.
Any length is good, except when the ladies/girls do not keep it up. I hate straggly ended long hair. This is luxurious? It looks really raggedy. The ends should be trimmed off nice and straight to look the fullest.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's hot here and I am in and out of the pool all day. I cut my hair short because I was tired of always LOOKING like I just got out of the pool. Short hair is easy to deal with and it keeps you cooler.
It may be easier dealing with a pool, but cooler? I can't stand having hair sit on my neck, long or short when it's hot. That's why I keep my hair longer, so I can pull it up. That's cooler to me.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My hair is past my middle back now and I would love nothing more than to have it that short, but it doesn't look great like that.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
I think that a Betty White style looks perfect on elderly women. It's pretty bad when they keep a nice haircut but the 35 year old who doesn't care anymore lets herself go. If you are a heavy swimmer, I can see why you do what you do. At least that makes some sense.
Betty White's hairstyle is GREAT for an 80-year old woman. My grandma wore it when she was 80 (and when she was 90, for that matter). I don't advise it for women under 70. I definitely don't advise it for women in their 40s-60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care