Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

How is this political, or a controversy?
This thread belongs in the fashion and beauty forum.
OP must not know many women to come up with this crapola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then ones I saw weren't like what you described. Some were long braids of multiple colors, some were swirled up into a beehive type style with lots of gold coloring, and some were big hair. At work, we do have some nurses and other higher level position women who have hair like what you described and I agree it does look more professional. There are a few nurses who've gone the short natural look to save time and money and they look fine like that. What I've noticed is the styles I was asking about which also cost the most are usually done by the poorest groups. To get their hair like this requires exposing themselves to some very toxic chemicals for hours at a time.
they still do that? that kind of style was very popular in the 90s but i didnt know people still did that. and it was never that expensive back then (=$100)

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
OP, about the toxic chemicals, why arent you whining about white women and the brazilian blowout, which is much more expensive than the braids, and usually involves formaldehyde?
Brazilian hair straightening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Just saw a segment on Judge Joe Brown in which a woman had braids and hair weaves done and it took over 8 hours and she paid around $150. An separate expert came in to testify and said the woman should have been charged much more. My wife says her black lady friends will regularly spend over $100 a week or every two weeks on their hair. These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules. If the economy is so bad and money is so tight, why spend such money on hair? Aren't there other hair methods they can do that is more reasonably priced to save money? I'm just glad to have found an old fashion barber shop and pay $15 for my hair cuts once a month.

"These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules."

So all black women who are getting their hair done are barely making minimum wage and working part time schedules then? OR would that just apply to the women that your wife knows?

I regularly get my hair braided at those same costs about $100 and it's every maybe 2 or 3 months, not weeks.

Does your wife make mention of the non black women who spend tons of money on getting their hair dyed, cut, etc. at these top of the line salons? I live in the NJ/NYC area and they will scrape together every penny to go to these highly rated places. Since the economy is so hard, you and your wife should probably spend more time worried about your own finances.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Its not a "black" issue. Its a class issue. People of a lower economic bracket tend to spend more money on materialistic items in order to make feel good about themselves and also to appear as if they arent poor. Its like the girl who makes $8/hr, lives in the projects, yet spends a months pay on a Louis Vuitton bag.

Last edited by louie0406; 07-11-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Why do you spend 15$ on a haircut when you can just shave your own head for free? But really if the economy is so terrible NOT spending money isnt going to help anyone. The poor and middle class float this country with their purchasing power and ability to survive on lower wages. You should thank them. Not act like a you know what about it.

Most people do the DIY thing to maintain that look than lock into a salon anyway.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its not a "black" issue. Its a class issue. People of a lower economic bracket tend to spend more money on materialistic items in order to make feel good about themselves and also to appear as if they arent poor. Its like the girl who makes $8/hr, lives in the projects, yet spends a months pay on a Louis Vuitton bag.

it is a BLACK issue. what thread are you reading and what OP did you read? Because the one I read mentioned black women's hair care.

So white women aren't poor and living in the projects? so spanish women aren't lower class and buying LV handbags?

and again, even if all this were true, who gives a flip about the hair on somebody else's head? I mean policing women's hairstyles and their costs now? Where does it end for some of these busybody people?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well for black women their is much different. while everyone else can just wash their hair and go and it will be tame and grow fast, they can't do that because of hard to comb texture and how brittle it is. most black women have some form of straightening they go through or they would go natural (afro) , but most of them do not want to natural because as much as it may save money, it will take time.. so its either you spend money or you spend time, or you can shave your head, which is what i think most women in africa to do save money/time/effort. however not having straight hair/tamed hair can matter whether you get a job because people may perceive you as "unprofessional" , it is also how people judge you too. for every 1 dollar a black woman spends on hair, everyone else only has to pay 4 cent...

however i think this belongs in the fashion/beauty forums
white women spend hundreds of dollars on coloring their hair and fusing in hair extensions. this isn't exclusive to black women

and i can get up and go with my hair. it doesn't take me a lot of time getting ready. you don't know anything about black women's hair to speak for us so shut up

Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Just saw a segment on Judge Joe Brown in which a woman had braids and hair weaves done and it took over 8 hours and she paid around $150. An separate expert came in to testify and said the woman should have been charged much more. My wife says her black lady friends will regularly spend over $100 a week or every two weeks on their hair. These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules. If the economy is so bad and money is so tight, why spend such money on hair? Aren't there other hair methods they can do that is more reasonably priced to save money? I'm just glad to have found an old fashion barber shop and pay $15 for my hair cuts once a month.
The same reason why a barista at Starbucks pays $500 for the newest I-Pad.

BTW I'm a black women and I cut my own hair. I spend less than you do on my hair. Why can't you be like me and spend less?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
when white girls dye their hair pink, blue, green and purple they are just being artistic and expressing themselves.

black girls who do the same thing are just categorized as ghetto and lower class

i hate those double standards imposed by white people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care