Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,673,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
white women spend hundreds of dollars on coloring their hair and fusing in hair extensions. this isn't exclusive to black women

and i can get up and go with my hair. it doesn't take me a lot of time getting ready. you don't know anything about black women's hair to speak for us so shut up
do you not recognize my name nyanna? i am black remember. but maybe for you, but most black women can't just get up and go, unless they have a perm and may have wrapped their hair the night before.

if it was so easy for black women there wouldn't be threads,books, and a famous documentary about it (Good Hair wasn't too long ago). and white women spend tons of money on hair but they really dont have to, ive had tons of white room mates who never had to go to the hair dresser unless they were getting something serious like hair color or a hair cutting but sometimes black women have to go to the hair dresser just to get a simple wash (i.e. me,my mom, my aunt, my other aunt,all my friends,etc etc)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,438,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
do you not recognize my name nyanna? i am black remember. but maybe for you, but most black women can't just get up and go, unless they have a perm and may have wrapped their hair the night before.

if it was so easy for black women there wouldn't be threads,books, and a famous documentary about it (Good Hair wasn't too long ago). and white women spend tons of money on hair but they really dont have to, ive had tons of white room mates who never had to go to the hair dresser unless they were getting something serious like hair color or a hair cutting but sometimes black women have to go to the hair dresser just to get a simple wash (i.e. me,my mom, my aunt, my other aunt,all my friends,etc etc)..
This is what most black women I know do. They relax and style their own hair. They might need to go a stylist every other month or so to get a trim but for the most part they maintain their own hair.

And even if they do go to a stylist more often, many go to the beauty schools which often times charge half of what a regular salon does.

Right now I have short natural hair that takes me less than 10 minutes to wash and style. All I have to do is co-wash in the shower. Pat dry with a towel. Put on some shea butter cream my sister made and run a comb through it a couple of times.

Most black women do not have to have a high maintence hair routine. They choose to. I have to say I have never heard of anyone needing to go to a stylist for shampooing.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,425,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
This is what most black women I know do. They relax and style their own hair. They might need to go a stylist every other month or so to get a trim but for the most part they maintain their own hair.

And even if they do go to a stylist more often, many go to the beauty schools which often times charge half of what a regular salon does.

Right now I have short natural hair that takes me less than 10 minutes to wash and style. All I have to do is co-wash in the shower. Pat dry with a towel. Put on some shea butter cream my sister made and run a comb through it a couple of times.

Most black women do not have to have a high maintence hair routine. They choose to. I have to say I have never heard of anyone needing to go to a stylist for shampooing.
I agree. While it can take a while for me to cleanse, condition, detangle and style my natural hair, the style can last a while before the next cleansing. Daily arranging and styling usually doesn't take me long. But I refuse to sit in a salon all day or pay hundreds of dollars for my hair care. If others want to do so, regardless of race or income level, that is their choice and their right.

To the OP, beauty is a major industry with lots of money to be made -- from makeup to hair products to hair care and styling, to manicures and pedicures, to tanning, to cosmetic surgery. That encompasses a lot of women of all different colors, shapes, sizes and preferences. I wouldn't say that your inquiry was bad in and of itself, but the way you ask it has elicited the responses you have received.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

well lucky for you and the women you know because most black women i know don't know how to do their hair themselves without it being an absolute trainwreck or disaster for them.. good for you hun

Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,842,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well lucky for you and the women you know because most black women i know don't know how to do their hair themselves without it being an absolute trainwreck or disaster for them.. good for you hun
LOL.

I know a few black women that get their hair done at the salon regulary(as in once or twice a week). Personally when I used to get my hair done at the salon, I went weekly or biweekly. Mainly because there was a certain look I was going for that I wasn't able to achieve myself and didn't feel like putting in the work needed to achieve the style when I could just pay someone to do it for me. It wasn't that expensive(about $40 a week), and translated to about $180 a month spent on my hair. While that number may seem high, it wasn't for me, I was more than able to afford it and it was beneficial for the career I was in--because my hair was always on point.

Nowadays I do my hair myself and go to the salon once or twice a month. Since I'm not working I don't need that look anymore. But when I go back to work, I will go back to the salon once a week.
But as others have pointed out there are plenty of black women that do their hair themselves and never step in the salon at all. I have friends that can do their own weaves, relaxers, hair cuts, and the list goes on. They spend time on you-tube and on various black hair websites doing research and learning styles. I'm too lazy to do all that, and really don't want to invest the time and energy in it. Right now my hair is braided and is get up and go.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
LOL.

I know a few black women that get their hair done at the salon regulary(as in once or twice a week). Personally when I used to get my hair done at the salon, I went weekly or biweekly. Mainly because there was a certain look I was going for that I wasn't able to achieve myself and didn't feel like putting in the work needed to achieve the style when I could just pay someone to do it for me. It wasn't that expensive(about $40 a week), and translated to about $180 a month spent on my hair. While that number may seem high, it wasn't for me, I was more than able to afford it and it was beneficial for the career I was in--because my hair was always on point.

Nowadays I do my hair myself and go to the salon once or twice a month. Since I'm not working I don't need that look anymore. But when I go back to work, I will go back to the salon once a week.
But as others have pointed out there are plenty of black women that do their hair themselves and never step in the salon at all. I have friends that can do their own weaves, relaxers, hair cuts, and the list goes on. They spend time on you-tube and on various black hair websites doing research and learning styles. I'm too lazy to do all that, and really don't want to invest the time and energy in it. Right now my hair is braided and is get up and go.
i've tried myself, didn't ever go well , so sew in it is! i wish it was cheaper/easier but it wont ever be unless i shave my head. if only i looked like amber rose

Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,393,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Just saw a segment on Judge Joe Brown in which a woman had braids and hair weaves done and it took over 8 hours and she paid around $150. An separate expert came in to testify and said the woman should have been charged much more. My wife says her black lady friends will regularly spend over $100 a week or every two weeks on their hair. These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules. If the economy is so bad and money is so tight, why spend such money on hair? Aren't there other hair methods they can do that is more reasonably priced to save money? I'm just glad to have found an old fashion barber shop and pay $15 for my hair cuts once a month.
I didn't read the other posts but I don't think it's ONLY black women. I have plenty of white and hispanic girlfriends that get nails, wax, eyebrows, hightlights and toes done every 2 weeks that amount to $100-$400 every 2 weeks. Second, I doubt that a black women with braids gets their hair done every week. Most black women get their braids every month to 2 months. I think this post is just a plain example of why some of the people on this forum try to SPIN things before educating themselves.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,710,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is a huge issue, and one that few white folks understand. Treatments to have black hair fixed, straightened, can be very costly. And the products used to maintain that look...but, it is their hair...and their money.

Well I agree with you on this one. IMO, it is pretty costly. I have seen the prices for 'white women's' hair (non high end salons) and there's no way I could get my hair cut for $18.00 or whatever. They can just drop by Holiday Hair or JCPenney, I wouldn't be able to do that. They would jack my hair up, no thanks.

As far as the products to maintain, being costly, yes and no. A lot of times the prices for black hair care, make up, etc. are drastically inflated, especially if the black women live in a mostly white area (like I do, in the burbs). Obviously there's only a few of us buying these products as compared to the many white women for other products, so they are automatically more expensive. I don't think it's right, but what can I do about it.....People like the OP don't take these things into account, they would rather write it off as 'black women spending frivolously.'

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,393,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well I agree with you on this one. IMO, it is pretty costly. I have seen the prices for 'white women's' hair (non high end salons) and there's no way I could get my hair cut for $18.00 or whatever. They can just drop by Holiday Hair or JCPenney, I wouldn't be able to do that. They would jack my hair up, no thanks.

As far as the products to maintain, being costly, yes and no. A lot of times the prices for black hair care, make up, etc. are drastically inflated, especially if the black women live in a mostly white area (like I do, in the burbs). Obviously there's only a few of us buying these products, so they ware automatically more expensive. I don't think it's right, but what can I do about it. People like the OP don't take these things into account, they would rather write it off as 'black women spending frivolously.'
I disagree with this. Women's hair products can be expensive in general. Last time I checked, white women get their hair cut, colored, straightened and blown out. There are many salons that charge between $200-$400 to do a white women's hair in one sitting. I agree with the person that said it has more to do with social class than color. People that try to pin it on race need to check their facts and get a life. Most people on this forum see one or two black people on TV or out in their town and think they know the WHOLE RACE as a bunch. That shows your foolishness more than the black person you are judging.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,710,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Most of the women my wife knows are former co-workers at Walmart.

Okay so what? If your wife is or was working at Wal Mart Retail not Corporate (my first job out of high school and it doesn't pay well) you both should be spending more time worried about your own financial buisness.

Point was: don't worry about our hair care expenses you're not the bank account police. I don't work at Wal Mart, so I can pay for your wife's hair too, if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care