Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Just saw a segment on Judge Joe Brown in which a woman had braids and hair weaves done and it took over 8 hours and she paid around $150. An separate expert came in to testify and said the woman should have been charged much more. My wife says her black lady friends will regularly spend over $100 a week or every two weeks on their hair. These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules. If the economy is so bad and money is so tight, why spend such money on hair? Aren't there other hair methods they can do that is more reasonably priced to save money? I'm just glad to have found an old fashion barber shop and pay $15 for my hair cuts once a month.
I have read this whole thread and I kinda think OP has been a bit attacked over it without reason. I do not think he was being racial, but asking a question he did not know the answer to.

I have black friends that go weekly as well. There is no way I could afford going to the salon weekly. I MAY get my hair cut and styled, sometimes colored once per 6 months at about $150 and I think its insane!

There are a few here at cd who always think black people are being attacked and it just isn't the case.

Why would sailordave know one way or the other about this without asking? So he asked and it turns into all of this. I am not sure where it was originally posted, but it sounded like he was asking on an economic level, not as to offend people.

The man is watching an episode on Joe Brown. It sounds like the woman may be getting sued for underpayment of her weave, I have no idea.

Then, he is quoting on information on a few black women his wife knows, not all black women in general.

I understand where he is coming from because even as a woman, I don't understand why many women in general spend as much as they do in the salon.

Why do people need to attack him like he is being racist against you?

The man is asking if there is a less expensive way. Is there? How hard is that to see?

And for the record, I think all pink, purple, blue, etc, hair looks like crap and I don't care who its on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
Good hair should be a good viewing for those that do not understand the relationship of black women and their hair.

ha i made my white boyfriend watch that doc,after that he totally understood everything.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
I hated the documentary Good Hair. Rock interviews all these guys who act so put upon over the costs of hair relaxers and weaves... meanwhile black men are the only people who have ever actually stopped me on the street to suggest that I do something about my natural hair. I have even had "Go get a weave" yelled at me on the street. I like my natural hair a lot, but make no mistakes about it, men (of all races) respond to me much better when my hair is straight (bkt, so it isn't permanent). The difference is staggering. The perceived length might have something to do with it as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I hated the documentary Good Hair. Rock interviews all these guys who act so put upon over the costs of hair relaxers and weaves... meanwhile black men are the only people who have ever actually stopped me on the street to suggest that I do something about my natural hair. I have even had "Go get a weave" yelled at me on the street. I like my natural hair a lot, but make no mistakes about it, men (of all races) respond to me much better when my hair is straight (bkt, so it isn't permanent). The difference is staggering. The perceived length might have something to do with it as well.
Wow. I haven't had any man yell weave suggestions at me (I would be tempted to respond, "after you."). But the last time I straightened my hair, yes, men held the door open for me. When I heard other women talking about men holding the door open for them more when their hair is straightened, I thought, "Really?" But it happened to me. Not to mention more compliments from others, including my boyfriend. Amusing.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Wow. I haven't had any man yell weave suggestions at me (I would be tempted to respond, "after you."). But the last time I straightened my hair, yes, men held the door open for me. When I heard other women talking about men holding the door open for them more when their hair is straightened, I thought, "Really?" But it happened to me. Not to mention more compliments from others, including my boyfriend. Amusing.
Really? I have always had my hair natural and whenever I have gotten compliments on it, the majority are Black women *and* men. I distinctly remember standing in line in the cafeteria once and a Black guy asking me, first, if my hair was real (lol yes) and when I said so, he told me it was beautiful. I find that my white and Asian friends, while they appreciate my hair, tend to fall over themselves in awe when it's straight. Though surprisingly, my white girlfriend prefers my curls.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Really? I have always had my hair natural and whenever I have gotten compliments on it, the majority are Black women *and* men. I distinctly remember standing in line in the cafeteria once and a Black guy asking me, first, if my hair was real (lol yes) and when I said so, he told me it was beautiful. I find that my white and Asian friends, while they appreciate my hair, tend to fall over themselves in awe when it's straight. Though surprisingly, my white girlfriend prefers my curls.
All of my natural friends get loads of compliments. The only comments I seem to get are why aren't you natural (I am relaxed). And compliments at the salon. :P

Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
I hear you. Most of my compliments are from black women who are themselves natural. Followed by white women and black men (in equal amounts).

The compliments I value most, however, are from my young daughter, because that means she finds tightly coiled hair attractive. That seems to be translating into her finding her own curls attractive.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I didn't say white women's hair care costs aren't expensive. I said: "non high end salons," I was talking about holiday hair and JCPenney type places. I have yet to see a black hair salon in the mall. .....And again, the products in the store are in surplus for white hair care. This is not the same for black hair products. The less there is of something, the more expensive it is. That is common retail knowledge. I have gone in stores and could not FIND black hair products/make up products and that is case for many, many black women. They often don't have my shade of foundation, period. They say "we don't carry that." Now go in the store and tell me how many Volumax, Jon Freida, and Clairol products you see on the shelves?....

I agree with those last statements.
Where do you live? I'm in the Washington Metro area. We have hair care salons in JC Penny and Hair Cuttery salons all over the place that cater to everyone. It's not hard to find stylists here that know "black hair".
(I have to remind myself that this is not the case in other areas.)

Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM

The one thing that keeps getting lost when the subject of "black" hair is discussed is that our hair can not be easily categorized. It comes in several different textures from fine to course. Then there is the curly, kinky, wavy, and straight hair. Some of us have a combination of hair textures on our head.

I have a full head of hair that past my shoulders. I do my own hair most of the time. Sometimes I'll style my mother's hair or she'll style mine. If I feel I need a trim I'll go to Hair Cuttery and just get my ends cut. It should not cost more than $15-$16. The most money I spend is on my WEN. But it lasts for months and it allows me to only relax (mild only) once or twice a year. I have no desire to go completely natural at this time. But, I have a coworker whose hair is to the middle of her back now that's gone completely natural and it looks great. Her sister has gone short and natural. She can just wash and go because her hair has a natural curl. None of us have the exact same texture of hair. We all wear it differently but none of us spend $100 to maintain our hair.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Are you serious? You had to go to the hair dresser to get your hair washed! It is not that hard to wash Black hair. You are just exaggerrating and perpetuating the myth that black hair is so hard to take care of that you need a hair dresser to get a wash. Girl you need to stop lying. Any black woman who don't know how to wash their own hair is just a fool. All you need is some detangling shampoo if your hair is natural and you're good to go. But many have a relaxer and you don't need a hairdresser to wash that!

I NEVER had to go to the hair dresser to get my hair done unless I was getting braids (tyzillions). Maybe I am blessed with a mother who knew how to care for my hair. She knew how to relax our hair and it never fell out. In addition, my sister learned how to do sewn in weaves so she doesn't have much use for beauticians anymore.

I can get up and go everyday. My hair is blowdried out. It doesn't take me that long to do my hair at all.
A look of black women are using relaxers that are too strong and apply them too often. I have a friend that gets hers relaxed every four weeks. If you are relaxing that often you are only damaging your hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care