Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM

27 posts, read 130,068 times

Advertisements

My daughter had normal hair up until she was 2. Most of it fell out. By the time she was 3, she had very blond, thin, horrible hair! I couldn't believe the difference. She was practically bald.

I was told that sometimes their immune system kicks in late, causing hair loss. She is 7 right now and has a decent amount of hair down the middle of her back. Hope this holds true for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
I can't think of any treatments I would recommend for such a young child, but a cute shorter blunt edge haircut will actually make her hair look fuller, and in between shampoos, you can put a bit of baby powder on her scalp and let it sit for a minute and then brush or comb through to alleviate some of the flat/greasy look.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
OK...in a nut-shell, is there ANYTHING that can be done? Shaving? Supplements? ...
This is way past the stage of "oh, it's just baby hair, it will grow more and thicker eventually".
It certainly doesn't look like it.

This is what I have been hearing during all of her 4+ years of life so far, while other little girls her age have grown waves of hair all the way down to their waists, cut their hair off, and then grew some more.

I have given her trims to refresh the ends but never gave her an actual hair-cut to make it significantly shorter - and yet it still barely touches her shoulders. It grows extremely slowly. In four years of only trims she should have had it way past her waistline...and yet it is hardly shoulder-length.
The hair also has no volume and she needs to have it washed almost every day to not look like it is greasy, sticky and unkept. We don't wash it every day as it would be too much but she simply goes some days when it hardly looks clean.

In addition, she has been losing some lately...so this was the last straw.

I do not want to sound ungrateful as she is a healthy, adorable, gorgeous little girl and at the end of the day, we ARE talking about a frivolous matter - so yes, I am aware of that.
But one thing I know is that she certainly did not hit the gene jackpot when it comes to hair. I have extremely thick, strong, dark hair but she takes after my husband's side of the family where everyone has baby-fine, light, English-type hair.

I did want to shave her head when she was a baby but my husband would not hear of it and kept saying that this is all genetics, that nothing will change the kind of hair she has inherited, leats of all some old wives' tale like head shaving, and that I should just get over it.

Maybe he is right - but if there is anything I have been missing in terms of being able to do something about it, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much.
Wow, just wow. If my daughter was losing hair - she's be at the pedi PDQ.

Seriously - you'd consider giving her suppliments (the only ones I've ever seen for hair are for adults) recommended to you by strangers on the internet...

FWIW - my daughter (2yo) has baby fine wispy hair. There's not much I can do with it except cut her bangs or a "palm tree" ponytail on top of head head. I think (and tell her) she looks beautiful.....

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Provided there is nothing wrong with her from a health standpoint, please leave her alone. I have baby fine limp blond straight hair and my family was always comparing me with others with curly thick hair. My mother and grandmother had me have numerous permanents called Tonettes when I was small. Nothing really helped. Well now I am over fifty and I have lovely highlighted blond hair. Its not so bad and I have learned how to style it and use product to make it thicker and more manageable. The key is to find a flattering style for her that is easy to keep up.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Oh and by the way when the sixties and seventies came around I had long straight hair and was in style. No orange juice cans for me or ironing my hair. I've learned now I can put some body in my hair with product and set it with hot rollers or a curling iron. I can also put it up in a pony or updo. As your daughter grows up there will be many options.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
A good diet and a childrens multi is as far as I'd go. But I will say my d had horrible hair until she went thru puberty. I called it "velcro hair" because no matter what we did, how we washed it, brushed it combed it, it would still look tangled and clumpy. Almost every school pic of her has some wierd hair issue in it. The only thing that helped was learning not to layer it, no bangs or anything. Her's was thick so at least that way we could do the pony tail and forget about it. She still does that now, well into her 20's.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I have what they call 'baby fine hair' and the only time I ever had 'volume' was when I had a heavy perm and ringlets. I loved them but it all broke off within a year and left me with short hair. Beware of doing too much with fine hair since its fragile. A conditioner with biotan in it does help strengthen the hair, but your never going to have a lot of volume or curl.

You can take a supliment of it too, but I wouldn't give it to a child.

My mom rolled my hair, at least until 13. That was when I insisted on picking out my own clothes and the frufuree dresses went and no lace and ruffles and I didn't do curls anymore. Best advice I could give is to keep the ends even but JUST a straight cut. Never layer thin hair as it just looks thinner.

I wore bangs for a long long time, but they were thick bangs and my seventh grade picture you couldn't see my eyes.

Overall, the less messing with it the better. If she wants to dye it some time later it will cause breakage but so long as she doesn't want it long and doesn't dye it too often its doable.

Getting rid of grey in thin hair is a bigger mess...

Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
In addition, she has been losing some lately...so this was the last straw.
Get her to the doctor.

It may just be that she has a vitamin deficiency. It might be something else. But if she's randomly losing hair, that's rarely ever a good sign.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Please, stop comparing projecting your insecurities on your child and comparing her to older children or you'll bring up a really ****ed-up adult.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 AM

330 posts, read 587,402 times
I don't understand why some folks are coming down so hard on you. It sounds like something you're right to be concerned about. It could be genetic, but what you describe sounds more like a health issue to me. And if your instincts are telling you to investigate it, then heed those instincts.

There are all sorts of deficiencies and conditions that can lead to abnormal hair. I had weird patchy hair loss before I was diagnosed celiac, and most recently, my barely wavy hair went absolutely kinky curly due to autoimmune thyroid disease. I've been on thyroid replacement for a few months and it's already pretty much normal again. There are also hair shaft disorders and metabolic disorders that can lead to what you're describing. Or it could be her normal. But I definitely don't think you should be made to feel bad for asking.

I would talk to her pediatrician about testing her vitamin levels and for food allergies, metabolic disorders, and autoimmune markers. You should also ask for a referral to a dermatologist. Good luck, mama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care