Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

My hair is down to my waist, wavy (2b if anyone is familiar with that system), and highlighted throughout. I know I can just throw my hair up in a bun and be done with it but I was wondering how else I could make this hair type look professional. I'm going to a public accounting career fair at my university on Friday.

It's kind of like this but to my waist in the back and just below my bust in front:

I have considered blow-drying it straight for my college's career fair coming up this Friday but I don't know if waist-length hair is professional when straight either.

I know a lot of people will encourage me to cut it short but I get the "pyramid effect" and my short hair would require daily heat-styling to keep it from being shaped like a pyramid. Having long hair helps weigh it down. I could get layers in a short cut but I don't want to hack off my hair that much anywho.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I would say the best thing for hair your length is put it in a bun or ponytail. I think hair to the waist is very hard to give a professional look. Can you cut it like the picture above? That looks professional and is still longer.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 PM

I'll probably end up putting it up. I'm not ready to cut it off yet! I have been growing it for years Thanks though

Old 09-13-2012, 01:20 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Hi. Here's what I would do.

1. Watch Youtube styling videos of ladies with wavy, even curly and kinky hair, when they do updos. I could explain what I do (as a black woman who wears her hair naturally kinky), but I think the videos would be better. I personally love updos, and I watch videos of white, black and other women for styling ideas. For instance, a flat twist on each side, going back into a bun, would look pretty.

2. Consider pretty accessories, like hair combs, sticks, elastic hair bands, Goody spin pins for buns (there's also a big spiral for ladies with very long hair, the Scunci upzing, etc. These help keep hair in place and add interest.

3. If you must cut, see if a Deva cut will work for you (see the book "Curly Girl" for a description of this). The cut is done curl by curl and is not a blunt cut. But as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't cut my hair if I didn't want that.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
If you want to look professional without cutting your hair consider a pony tail, bun, or updo of some kind.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Go conservative for job fairs and interviews and opt for the bun. But once you've got the job (and assuming it isn't business formal like working in a court of law or law enforcement etc), I think a helpful way to making long wavy hair look sleeker is to get a gloss treatment. I think there's an at home kit found in the same area as hair dye, or you could have it done at a salon. I've also used a John Freida shampoo-type treatment, but didn't notice any great difference from it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think a helpful way to making long wavy hair look sleeker is to get a gloss treatment. I think there's an at home kit found in the same area as hair dye
Can't remember the brand, but I tried one of these several years ago. Didn't really notice much of a glossy difference, and it kind of skewed the color of my hair. (even though it wasn't fully dyed at the time)

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM

I ended up getting fed up and getting a hair cut the day of my event. I chopped around 2-3 inches off and now my hair is much healthier looking and easier to make appear professional. I have been growing it out for over two years and this was pretty much a whim I acted on and I'm very happy.

The back section grazes the top of my bra strap and the front is at my arm pit and even though my hair has been bleached....some of it up to 3 times and dyed over it looks and feels like it has never been chemically treated.

Thank goodness for yelp and coconut oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care