Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Because you are not black enough if you are mixed. You are biracial/multiracial/other. Most biracials IRL don't identify as just black anyway. I only see them claiming to be 'black' on social media networks.

I've had a white person tell me that before.

I never said there is anything wrong with interracial relationships. I feel that the children should identify as both races and not just one.

Many AAs and biracials feel this way.

I've never met anyone who thinks Alicia Keys is just a Black woman--online I've read that but not IRL. And the biracials I've met clearly do not want to identify as just Black---most proudly talk about their mixed parent and how it makes them different and unique from regular blacks
Unless you've got some cold statistics with a -/+ 2% margin of error that backs up your belief of most mixed Black Americans not claiming to be black or not wanting to associate with their black heritage, you're mainly talking out of your behind.

And I am Black, I am Dominican, I do not choose one above the other. Whether you think I'm Black enough is no concern of mine because at the end of the day, I know who and what I am and I'm comfortable in my own skin and blackness. Hopefully, you'll find inner peace someday.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
It's stems from what the "idea" of what a Black woman should look like, act like, and speak like, but I have no idea who wrote the book on that nor where to find it. Maybe Nyanna can help us.

edit: Please note that I edited my original response to "some women" because the overwhelming majority of AAs are rational thinkers who really don't have time to tell people what they are or are not according to their own scale of blackness.
this is what an unmixed black girl looks like

you dont see too many mainstream black girls with her phenotype in the media. its almost always the mixed looking kind

Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I never said there is anything wrong with interracial relationships. I feel that the children should identify as both races and not just one.

I've never met anyone who thinks Alicia Keys is just a Black woman--online I've read that but not IRL. And the biracials I've met clearly do not want to identify as just Black---most proudly talk about their mixed parent and how it makes them different and unique from regular blacks
Wait a dang minute.

On one hand you think it's important that biracial people identify as both races, which means that they would need to point out that their parents are of different "races" - and then on the other hand you seem miffed when they point out that their racial heritage is one of mixture.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Unless you've got some cold statistics with a -/+ 2% margin of error that backs up your belief of most mixed Black Americans not claiming to be black or not wanting to associate with their black heritage, you're mainly talking out of your behind.
its no secrett hat most biracials think they are above unmixed black people. everybody knows this but you can deny it all you want

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

you dont see too many mainstream black girls with her phenotype in the media. its almost always the mixed looking kind
Well for one thing, most Black Americans are mixed thanks to 1. General marriage and 2. Rape (yay, Thomas Jefferson~ not really.) You're probably mixed yourself and don't even know it unless you're from a completely remote group in Africa who has had no contact with other ethnic groups of any sort.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you live, but where I live most African American people are not this dark complected - they are lighter, which implies that they have some mixture of races in their background.

So it doesn't surprise me when I see lighter skinned models - I look around me and I see mostly lighter skinned people who identify themselves as African American.

By the way, I think the model whose picture you posted is absolutely stunning.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not sure where you live, but where I live most African American people are not this dark complected - they are lighter, which implies that they have some mixture of races in their background.

So it doesn't surprise me when I see lighter skinned models - I look around me and I see mostly lighter skinned people who identify themselves as African American.
Kathryn you are really really upsetting me now.

I will not be responding to any of your posts anymore because you are trying your hardest to get under my skin with that comment you made.

You are very racist, bigoted and most of all a liar if you think most African Americans are mixed and lightskinned liek your children. Not to mention, you are marginalizing me.

I am the same skin tone of that girl, are you saying that people like me don't exist? I don't deserve to see other darkskinned black women like me on television because in your eyes I am just a minority within a minority ?

You truly believe that all Black Americans are light complected like your children? Wow. Just wow. You are a real piece of work

Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM

My grandma is as dark as the woman in that picture and she's 1/4 Spaniard. So, what are you really trying to say, nyanna?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
My grandma is as dark as the woman in that picture and she's 1/4 Spaniard. So, what are you really trying to say, nyanna?
does she have her features and hair texture???

there are indians darker than her but that doesn't make them black

Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Kathryn you are really really upsetting me now.

I will not be responding to any of your posts anymore because you are trying your hardest to get under my skin with that comment you made.

You are very racist, bigoted and most of all a liar if you think most African Americans are mixed and lightskinned liek your children. Not to mention, you are marginalizing me.

I am the same skin tone of that girl, are you saying that people like me don't exist? I don't deserve to see other darkskinned black women like me on television because in your eyes I am just a minority within a minority ?

You truly believe that all Black Americans are light complected like your children? Wow. Just wow. You are a real piece of work
No, M'am - YOU, my dear are a real piece of work.

And it's fine by me if you don't respond to any more of my posts. Good riddance actually.

I do not think that most AAs are as light skinned as my kids.

I am not marginalizing you - do you even know what that means? If so, tell me how I am doing so. Well, wait - you're not talking to me anymore, so never mind.

Of course, you nincompoop, I never said, nor do I believe, that "people like you don't exist" or that you "don't deserve to see other darkskinned women on television" or any other such ridiculous nonsense.

Now - quit calling me a racist and a bigot and a liar. My life proves otherwise.

Here are your recent status updates on your public profile:

Quote:
don't tell me how to wear my hair...mind your own business - Today 04:34 AM
don't tell me how to wear my hair...mind ya bidness - Today 04:33 AM
depression went away...for now - 08-24-2012 06:49 PM
good riddance - 08-17-2012 02:50 PM
about to kill myself - 08-17-2012 02:27 PM
darkskin and invisible - 08-17-2012 11:31 AM
i feel refreshed - 08-13-2012 06:22 PM
starting to feel happy - 08-12-2012 10:23 AM
drained - 08-07-2012 11:04 AM
i dont want to live anymore - 08-06-2012 12:53 AM

I really wish you'd get some serious therapy for your issues. You really, really, seem to have some serious emotional/personal issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care