Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, M'am - YOU, my dear are a real piece of work.

And it's fine by me if you don't respond to any more of my posts. Good riddance actually.

I do not think that most AAs are as light skinned as my kids.
You said:
"where I live most African American people are not this dark complected - they are lighter, which implies that they have some mixture of races in their background.

So it doesn't surprise me when I see lighter skinned models - I look around me and I see mostly lighter skinned people who identify themselves as African American."

In the above quote you are saying that most black americans are mixed and lightskinned.

Therefore you think people like me, don't exist and are not important.

Your comment is the perfect example of why I feel that biracials are replacing unmixed black women like me in America.

Kathryn I'd like to inform you that there are many darkskin Black people with that girl's phenotype who exist in America. You may refuse to acknowledge their existence but we are here. And we deserve to be represented in the black community.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
You said:
"where I live most African American people are not this dark complected - they are lighter, which implies that they have some mixture of races in their background.

So it doesn't surprise me when I see lighter skinned models - I look around me and I see mostly lighter skinned people who identify themselves as African American."

In the above quote you are saying that most black americans are mixed and lightskinned.

Therefore you think people like me, don't exist and are not important.

Your comment is the perfect example of why I feel that biracials are replacing unmixed black women like me in America.

Kathryn I'd like to inform you that there are many darkskin Black people with that girl's phenotype who exist in America. You may refuse to acknowledge their existence but we are here. And we deserve to be represented in the black community.
I thought you weren't going to respond to my posts anymore.

What I SAID clearly was that WHERE I LIVE most AAs are lighter complected than the woman you posted a photo of. That does NOT mean that "most black Americans are light skinned." It does not mean that I "think people like you don't exist or are not important." It does not mean that "biracials are replacing unmixed black women like you in America." It does not mean that I do not realize that there are many dark skinned AA people who exist in America. It does not mean that I "refuse to acknowledge their existence" or that I don't think that they "deserve to be represented in the black community."

Do you suffer from reading comprehension issues or paranoia? I can't decide which.

As for how the mysterious "black community" represents itself to the American community at large - you'll have to take that up with the "black community" - I have no control over anything the "black community" does or says.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
So you're upset that biracial women are "replacing" 100% African looking women in the media?

Wow....there are plenty types that are not in the media. Such as the White Latina. Sofia Vergara is naturally blonde but she couldn't get an acting job until she dyed her hair dark and got a tan. Also Jewish women are rarely portrayed in the media. Native American women probably get less air time than women like you. What about Arab women?

Why aren't they here throwing a tantrum along side you?

What do you feel would be the benefit of more women looking like you in the media?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So you're upset that biracial women are "replacing" 100% African looking women in the media?

Wow....there are plenty types that are not in the media. Such as the White Latina. Sofia Vergara is naturally blonde but she couldn't get an acting job until she dyed her hair dark and got a tan. Also Jewish women are rarely portrayed in the media. Native American women probably get less air time than women like you. What about Arab women?

What do you feel would be the benefit of more women looking like you in the media?
Heck, I'm mad.

There are not enough 50 year old white women with short, thick, crazy hair in the media.

I'm underrepresented and it's not fair! WE DO EXIST AND WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!

And I'm tired of wearing a bra too - why should my womanhood be constrained and restrained???

Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

My primary concern is the fact that biracial women are replacing me. It affects me. It is important to me and should not be undermined by Native American, Korean, or what you think White latinas are going through

Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
this is what an unmixed black girl looks like

you dont see too many mainstream black girls with her phenotype in the media. its almost always the mixed looking kind

Nyanna, you are very off the mark. You can not determine that an African American is "unmixed" by using the eyeball test.

This is Don Cheadle...

His DNA admixture was tested for the PBS program African American Lives and he has 19% European ancestry. (ie 1 out of 5 of his ancestors was European)

DNA proves many African americans are WHITE ancestrally ! TRUTH! - YouTube

Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times
LMAO

Wait...please explain how they are "replacing" you? Are they taking your job?

That makes no sense.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
LMAO

Wait...please explain how they are "replacing" you? Are they taking your job?

That makes no sense.
Apparently, they are breathing her air or something.

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I would say the plight of the Native American and African American historically are both pretty bad and we never see Native Americans on TV. Even in colleges I don't know any NA's in my college. I do know a good amount of black kids though.

Maybe you should stop watching TV or start watching African programing. There are a lot of opportunities out there for all people in the U.S. and you can't fully appreciate them when you are constantly worried about being judged because of your race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nyanna, you are very off the mark. You can not determine that an African American is "unmixed" by using the eyeball test.

This is Don Cheadle...

His DNA admixture was tested for the PBS program African American Lives and he has 19% European ancestry. (ie 1 out of 5 of his ancestors was European)

DNA proves many African americans are WHITE ancestrally ! TRUTH! - YouTube
Don is a man. It's okay for black men to look very African looking, however black women in the media must look mixed, like Lauren London, Beyonce, and Rihanna.

I want to see more black girls in the media with MY phenotype celebrated as beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care