Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yes, and they are taking the black men in the black community.
Wow!

LOL

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,925 times
why does everyone ignore black girls who look like this? i have a phenotype like hers. why can't mine be embraced?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,661 times
Quote:
why does everyone ignore black girls who look like this? i have a phenotype like hers. why can't mine be embraced?
Have you embraced it yourself?

Why are you so invested in how other people perceive you?

Chile...you need some help.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Well for one thing, most Black Americans are mixed thanks to 1. General marriage and 2. Rape (yay, Thomas Jefferson~ not really.) You're probably mixed yourself and don't even know it unless you're from a completely remote group in Africa who has had no contact with other ethnic groups of any sort.
Yep. Same is true of us white Americans.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Have you embraced it yourself?

Why are you so invested in how other people perceive you?

Chile...you need some help.
Because how other people perceive me affects my livelihood. It determines how I will be treated by society

Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Girl, go sit down

....and I'm quite sure that the beautiful girl in that pic you keep posting wishes the hell that you would leave her out of your twisted mess. And her man is also wishing that you would seriously have a seat \_

Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Really? And just where pray tell are they taking them?
I swear to god, did she not just say that biracial women tend to marry white men and are therefore producing "whiter" looking children? Now they're "taking the black men?". So Nyanna, if a biracial woman has kids with the black man she "took", are those kids "black enough" for you??

Back to the original posting, someone (think it was Pear Martini) brought up an interesting point about Sofia Vergara, who is a natural blonde but was told to dye her hair darker. We tend to pigeonhole people into types and assume all those people all into those types. Lots of people think all Asians have dark, straight hair and slanted eyes, all Irish people are fair (blond/red hair, freckles, pale), all black people have kinky, coarse, dark hair. Fact of the matter is, throughout multiple generations, the races have mixed and you can and do find Asians with wavy, light brown hair and light colored, rounded eyes, or darker skinned, dark haired Irish, or blacks with lighter hair and skin (it was brought up in another thread that there is a group of South Pacific Islanders who look black but have naturally occurring blond hair). I think when people see this, they think "your hair color/texture doesn't fit your race" because they assume everyone of one race all look exactly the same, which is incorrect. Whether it's through genetics or heat/chemical manipulation, you'll find that this is increasingly false. Just because you don't fit into the neat little boxes people like Nyanna try to force you in, doesn't mean you are any less black/white/Asian/Hispanic/whatever

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
It is embraced, just not by you.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
You see more of them in media. Black men prefer them. Whites and blacks think they are better looking and much smarter.
This is a figment of your imagination.

There may be more women who don't look like you in the media. As others have pointed out, there aren't many women who look like other varieties of women in the media. I'm 44, short, I have 3 kids, and it's been awhile since I wore a size 4, though I'm hardly obese or anything, and I assure you there aren't any women like me in the media, either.

And, yet, I have managed not to scare away all the eligible males in town.

We cannot control the media machine. We CAN control our interactions out in the world.

You present yourself as confident, polished, and intelligent and people will see those qualities.

You present yourself as unsure, embarrassed of your appearance, and a persecuted victim and THAT is exactly what people will see.

You have to be your own promoter.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
(it was brought up in another thread that there is a group of South Pacific Islanders who look black but have naturally occurring blond hair)
Yes! People from Fiji? That must be the 3rd picture you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.