Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 AM

75 posts, read 102,024 times

Advertisements

Years ago I went to get my hair trimmed. I think it was at the middle of my back at that time and it was straight with no layers. I'd been to the salon a few times but never had this stylist before. She asked me if I wanted long layers and I said that was fine by me. She ended up hacking my hair and giving me a short choppy soccer mom do. It probably would have looked nice on somebody else but if I wanted a short, choppy hairstyle I would have asked for one. I self trim now, but have been thinking about going to a place in town that everybody raves about and getting a trim and color. The owner has somewhat long hair so I would hope that if I asked for a trim I wouldn't end up walking out with a pixie cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 AM

216 posts, read 449,037 times
I've given up on hairdressers. I have found exactly one good hairstylist in 15 years - and she moved back to Brazil!
They're either pretentious and stuck up, or they can't seem to click with you on your idea of what you want your hair to look like.
I've simply resorted to just just paying the bare minimum now _ they're going to F... it up anyways, why pay more than $10?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I remember telling my former stylist that I wanted less frequent trims. I didn't want a trim with every relaxer. She got really upset. I guess she wanted to keep my hair around shoulder length and/or she wanted the extra $10 for the trim. It's my money and my hair. She even yelled at me once - she raised her voice in front of the whole salon. I just calmly and respectfully said that I didn't want a trim. I said that at a few different visits (I gave her a few chances, but she would get more upset every time) and she kept pressuring me to get a trim, arguing with me, and telling me what to do.

She lost me as a customer (she also lost my friend and her sister) and I went to a salon where they did what I wanted - a salon where they never even suggested that I get a trim or any additional services. They did only what I asked them to do.

I know 2 people who go to my former stylist, and they have the same problems that I had - pressure to get trims more frequently than they want, and "trims" that are more like cuts.
The moment she raised her voice to me is the moment I would have walked out and she would not have been paid either.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have read that there are shampoos and detergents that are formulated to cut back on the use of sodium laureth sulfate. The Wen product is one of these. The article said they have failed, to date, to come up with an adequate product, as they leave dirt on the fabric/hair and do not clean well enough. I tried one of the shampoos and my husband, another one. We both hated them so much that we threw out the bottles.

There is a thread on the Hair forum that goes inactive and is activated from time to time, which used to be by members with very little seniority on CD, so I conclude that there is a big marketing push on this product. I still see it advertised on QVC (I think) and it just makes me wonder how shoddy their other offerings are. This is just my experience, but I don't believe the product can make hair grow faster. If anything I would believe it to leave a residue and clog the pores and cause, over the long run, thinner hair.

Do ANY salons sell this product? I cannot believe there would be many repeat sales, probably none.
I never tried Wen. I use either mostly natural shampoo bars, cleansing conditioner (other than Wen) or cowash. I also keep a no-SLS shampoo around to clarify. The only slight film I feel from time to time is from the shampoo bar. The conditioner, for example, a cheap, clarifying conditioner by V05, usually clears that up.

There are many cleansing conditioners or non-lathering cleansing creams out there (L'Oreal, Curl Junkie, Miss Jessie's, Hair One, As I Am, etc.). Really, co-washing with regular conditioner can do the trick, IMO.

While I like using the more expensive brands, I need to cut back. In the future, I will hold on to a few of the more pricey products that work well for me, but I will mainly use drug store brands, because many work so well and are underrated sometimes. It really depends on what works for YOUR hair.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM

96 posts, read 171,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I never tried Wen. I use either mostly natural shampoo bars, cleansing conditioner (other than Wen) or cowash. I also keep a no-SLS shampoo around to clarify. The only slight film I feel from time to time is from the shampoo bar. The conditioner, for example, a cheap, clarifying conditioner by V05, usually clears that up.

There are many cleansing conditioners or non-lathering cleansing creams out there (L'Oreal, Curl Junkie, Miss Jessie's, Hair One, As I Am, etc.). Really, co-washing with regular conditioner can do the trick, IMO.

While I like using the more expensive brands, I need to cut back. In the future, I will hold on to a few of the more pricey products that work well for me, but I will mainly use drug store brands, because many work so well and are underrated sometimes. It really depends on what works for YOUR hair.
I only use sulfate-free products on my hair, but it is naturally curly, so it keeps the frizz down. I too only shampoo a couple of times a week and cowash with conditioner on the other days. This works great for my hair. My curls are moisturized, clean and frizz-free! I use MOPTOP products and Pureology shampoo. Haven't tried Wen.

I used to cut my own hair for a long time. It is very, very, naturally curly and thick. A lot of hairstylists were afraid of my hair. Some would straighten it with a flat-iron and then cut it (Eeek!). It does not do anything to cut someone's hair when it is straight when they plan to wear it differently!

I found a curly stylist on the naturallycurly.com website and go to her every few months. Mostly for coloring, she does some amazing curly highlights! I cut my hair in between on my own. She doesn't give me a hard time for cutting my own hair, either, she understands it. A lot of people, especially people with different types of hair have these issues. I don't think the stylists are trained to work on different types of hair.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I don't wear my own hair anymore because it always comes out . Fake hair is more manageable and my hair grows or at least stays stable underneath .
Well, I have read that although you need for your scalp to breathe, that it WILL grow a bit faster if kept warm under a wig or hat. I don't know how true that is. I also heard hair will grow more during the warm months than the cold.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I've given up on hairdressers. I have found exactly one good hairstylist in 15 years - and she moved back to Brazil!
They're either pretentious and stuck up, or they can't seem to click with you on your idea of what you want your hair to look like.
I've simply resorted to just just paying the bare minimum now _ they're going to F... it up anyways, why pay more than $10?
I get that. The basis for everything, including coming home and styling it yourself, is a good haircut. If the hairdresser cannot do that well, he or she can often cover it up with the style, which you have a hard time replicating at home.

Years back there were places that ONLY did haircuts. You came in, I think, with clean washed hair.
They were inexpensive and often did a better cut than full service salons.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, I have read that although you need for your scalp to breathe, that it WILL grow a bit faster if kept warm under a wig or hat. I don't know how true that is. I also heard hair will grow more during the warm months than the cold.
Oh I wear sew in tracks

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
To look good.

I don't do beauticians. Many of them get very scissor happy when they have black clients who have long hair. Out of jealousy, they constantly want to trim your ends so that your hair never gets a chance to grow.
nyanna - the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I think you are right on this one. They seem to feel you have to go with a style THEY feel you should have, which is what everyone else is wearing. A guy goes in for a trim for his mullet (though we know very few guys wear mullets anymore) and she rolls her eyes. (Understandably though) You go in for only a trim if you have really long hair, she thinks you should cut it short. How about that style everyone seems to be wearing these days, where you part slightly down the side and let some of your hair flow to the side of your face, so generic. Thats why I trim my own hair and dont care what everyone else wears, Im me. Short bobs or part slightly to the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care