Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times

Advertisements

I did a search, and came up with nada.

My hair is about waist-length, and I cannot find a comfortable way to sleep! Wearing it up in a ponytail is not comfortable, because I feel the knot at my neck if I wear it low, and if I wear it high, I feel like it's stressing the fragile hair at my hairline, and I don't want breakage. I usually settle for the ponytail-bun, even though it ends up in a rat's nest in the back by morning, and doesn't stay put (I don't put my hair up tightly). Wearing it down is not an option, because I'm too aware of it, I'm afraid I'll choke on it (coughing up a hairball at 3 am = not fun), and it also tangles beyond belief by morning. I've tried satin pillow cases. Helped a bit, but not enough to say it made a huge difference. I've heard the suggestion to try a hair net or cap or something, but wearing a hat to bed is not very appealing to me, aesthetically or comfort-wise.

I feel I've exhausted all my options, here, so any creative, new ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
I do a simple 3 strand braid. I've heard some women bun on top of their head.

For more ideas, check out the Long Hair Community

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 09-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
That's why our Victorian grandmothers wore their hair in a loose braid while sleeping!

At its longest, my hair was about waist length. I just pulled it up and over my shoulders before sleeping.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I do a simple 3 strand braid. I've heard some women bun on top of their head.

For more ideas, check out the Long Hair Community
Thanks for this! I've done the bun, but felt like I had to wear it really tight to keep it still. Maybe I'm overcomplicating things. ;p

I think braiding may be the one thing I haven't tried. I'll give a loose braid a try tonight. I'm tired of dealing with the tangles in the morning from my other methods.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
My hair is to the small of my back. I do a side braid over my front shoulder, on the same side I sleep on, where it pretty much stays out of the way while I sleep.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My hair is to the small of my back. I do a side braid over my front shoulder, on the same side I sleep on, where it pretty much stays out of the way while I sleep.
I move around so much when I sleep I'm afraid I'd get wrapped up in it. But then, my hair isn't quite as long as yours!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
My hair isn't quite as long as yours (a bit more than halfway down my back), but it's very thick. I usually pin it to the top of my head in a bun, held with a few bobby pins. I don't do it very tight, but the pins do fall out sometimes while sleeping (but not always). I also like to put it in a loose braid (I do it loose so it's not too "crimped" looking when I loosen it).

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I did a search, and came up with nada.

My hair is about waist-length, and I cannot find a comfortable way to sleep! Wearing it up in a ponytail is not comfortable, because I feel the knot at my neck if I wear it low, and if I wear it high, I feel like it's stressing the fragile hair at my hairline, and I don't want breakage. I usually settle for the ponytail-bun, even though it ends up in a rat's nest in the back by morning, and doesn't stay put (I don't put my hair up tightly). Wearing it down is not an option, because I'm too aware of it, I'm afraid I'll choke on it (coughing up a hairball at 3 am = not fun), and it also tangles beyond belief by morning. I've tried satin pillow cases. Helped a bit, but not enough to say it made a huge difference. I've heard the suggestion to try a hair net or cap or something, but wearing a hat to bed is not very appealing to me, aesthetically or comfort-wise.

I feel I've exhausted all my options, here, so any creative, new ideas?
I did a loose braid or a silky tie that always came out as I slept but by then it didn't matter because I was asleep.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
My hair is about elbow length, but I have had it as long as my waist. I don't do anything special with it before bed. In fact, if I had a ponytail or anything during the day, I take it out before I sleep. I just push my hair behind me. Other than occasionally getting it caught under my arms, it has never been an issue. I wouldn't be comfortable with it in a pony, bun or braid at night.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Thats easy. Either I do a loose braid or a ponytail on top, kinda like the 'Pebbles' look. Not too often I wear it down in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care