Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I think once is enough unless you use a lot of hairspray, gel or other stuff like that.
Or, if you have stock in the company making the shampoo! If everyone used twice the amount of shampoo they are now using $$$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
One and done for me, unless I have a lot of buildup. I go the sulfate-free route (although that's no guarantee a shampoo won't dry out your hair). I aim for a shampoo once a week or every 10 days, with a cowash midway through depending on how my hair feels and looks.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My hair is colored, and I read somewhere that to keep the color from fading, you should wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Apparently the chemicals in conditioner are enough to get your hair clean. I was skeptical, but it really seems to work, and my hair doesn't have that dried straw look that treated hair gets when it's washed too much.

I wash my hair four times a week. Just to be on the safe side I still use shampoo once a week and use conditioner on the other three days.
After reading this thread and the article (which was linked to in earlier post/comment), I've decided to try going the "condition without shampooing" route.

Had been conditioning every single time I'd shampoo, but as I've aged & perpetual use of dye have taken their toll, my hair has been looking/feeling chronically out-of-sorts. Of course I'll still use shampoo on occasion, I'll just be switching from always shampooing to only doing so sometimes, while sticking with using conditioner each time.
If it goes poorly, I can just switch back to my previous behavior-there's no risk/loss to trying it out.
If it goes well, then thank you (to people on the internet) for the "hair-helping" suggestion

Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Yes I've always shampoo'd twice. When I used Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo, my scalp wouldn't tingle until the second wash. So I do think shampooing twice is beneficial for the most part. Now that I've switched to Bumble & Bumble shampoo it says you should only need to shampoo once and I find one shampoo does the job.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
I have short hair and shower every day so it gets wet. I don't use a lot of post shower hair products and shampoo/condition once (no repeat) every 3ish days.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Shampoo and then condition..I leave conditioner in there for a few mins

Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
With baby shampoo clarifying days I do wash twice and then deep condition. The first go never really lathers up enough to get through my hair to my scalp unless I add baking soda for a harsher clarifying treatment mix.

Usually though I "wash" with conditioner first to hydrate any dry spots and de-tangle. Then suds and condition as normal.
If I use the baking soda mix I condition a couple times to make sure all the residue is out.

Frequency depends on activity. Workout days -2 x a day. Sitting around, maybe a skip day. Regular activity, everyday.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
As long as my hair is I only wash it every other day, so the oils from scalp can get down to the ends. But I wash it twice, the second time though, using just a dab of shampoo. Then I leave the conditioner in till the last minute, rinse it out just before getting out of shower.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I had posted earlier about washing with conditioner instead of shampoo to prevent fading if you have colored hair. After trying that for a month, I'm sorry to say that I had to go back to using shampoo. My ends were looking great, but the roots were looking a bit too oily even though I still washed with shampoo once a week. Not only that, but my color faded a bit anyway, as it usually does in the last couple of weeks before a touchup.

Both my colorist and my stylist said they had never heard of such a technique and thought that shampooing wouldn't fade my color. So now I'm doing like you, wisconsin woman, and using a small amount of shampoo, then leaving the conditioner in for as long as possible before rinsing.

Oh well, live and learn! It was an interesting experiment. Your mileage may vary.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
The experts are telling us now that for most of us, washing every day is too much and strips away the beneficial oils. Now I wash every other day and just use water for the day in between. I never use conditioner as I have found it makes my hair totally unmanagable. I also can't use the creamy type shampoos. I will use those that are clear. I try to alternate and use different ones. This way my hair seems to stay more managable.. I love "Wash and Curl" but find I can only get that now at Drugstore.com. People who say they use "sulfite free" shampoo are being fooled. A local hairdresser, who writes a column in our local paper, says that without sulfites the shampoo would not lather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care