Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

You can pay about as much as you want to for shampoo. When I saw the prices of advertised shampoo at Walgreens, I decided that I could pay the same for products from Whole Foods, where I hoped I could find gentler, better products. I did. I use Giovanni brand shampoo--two sorts, and their conditioner. These shampoos are gentler, and I need slightly more product than I think I should to get a clean head, but I do like my hair.

I use a max clean shampoo and then finish with a max volume shampoo. Then I apply a tiny amount of conditioner and rinse it out.

For me, it is about gentleness. Using two of them seems to be working well for me.

I also apply gel body builder to my wet head, before blow drying.

I actually wish for an old lady haircut--bangs and straight sides. But my hair is not totally straight; it has too much wave to hold one of those Dutch boy haircuts that I see on lots of old ladies. That cut looks so easy! I am so tired of blow drying my hair with a round brush. But, a good shampoo seems to make my hair behave better. And it feels nice and soft after a shampoo.

I think overdoing hair spray dries out my hair though. I have to watch that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:48 PM

381 posts, read 177,145 times
I was discussing hair care and products with my friends over lunch yesterday, and several of them mentioned how the brand and price of shampoos etc. make a notable difference in hair softness and look. I was the only one to say that my hair looks the same regardless of the product I use, and they mentioned this is likely because I don't use heat in my hair or any chemicals. So I think the more one manipulates the hair, the more beneficial a higher-priced and sulfate-free shampoo may be.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
OMG.
I always thought the expensive shampoos were a scam. I called it 'scampoo.'

Not true.

It totally makes a difference.

Of course, not all shampoo is better just because it's more expensive.

But the Kerastase and the Pureology have been heads and tails better than anything I have ever bought under ten bucks. And since you get to use less, a bottle does last a while.
3 years later and I still haven't had to buy more shampoo.
My Pureology is still there...
(I bought 2 different flavors of shampoo and conditioner combo - 33.8oz).
Every day is a good hair day.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
I'm 40's white female. Hair is starting to thin a bit due to hormone changes like my other family females. Stinks when the males all have nice thick hair. I no longer do perms, just coloring sometimes but is a budget pincher. Cannot use store-bought colors, my hair won't even change color for regular bleach.

Been VERY pleased with Pantene products for YEARS. Used to pay for Matrix or Biolage back in early 20s. There is NO difference in product quality but huge savings as Pantene is double the bottle size and half the price of professional products. NEVER needed to do treatment for any residue from Pantene either...EVER.

Can also find good coupon and sale deals for Pantene products too...

Old 10-22-2016, 08:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
^^^ Sorry to say, but Pantene is not recommended if your hair is thinning. Check with your hairdresser; this is what I've been told by more than one (very good) hairdressers. As soon as I stopped using it ... no more hair in the shower drain. Redken and Biolage have excellent shampoos, and excellent products in general. Because I am now 90% silver grey though, I use the Clairol Silver Lights shampoo and conditioner most of the time, still no more hair loss.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:21 AM

777 posts, read 1,871,555 times
I'm a curly head and have been using DevaCurl No-Poo for years. It is pricey, but saves me money as eliminates the need for other products. Haven't found a cheaper drug store brand that equals it.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Sorry to say, but Pantene is not recommended if your hair is thinning. Check with your hairdresser; this is what I've been told by more than one (very good) hairdressers. As soon as I stopped using it ... no more hair in the shower drain. Redken and Biolage have excellent shampoos, and excellent products in general. Because I am now 90% silver grey though, I use the Clairol Silver Lights shampoo and conditioner most of the time, still no more hair loss.
Funny you say this.

At 29, my hair dresser of years said, "What's with your hair thinning/falling out?" My hair had always been crazy thick.
I was an exclusive Pantene user at the time.
I went to doctor and derm...put off as aging and then I was diagnosed with thyroid a couple years later (got tested every year bc of mom and caught it early).

However, after switching to Pureology, the "Your hair is crazy thick" comments are back again. So now I again have thick hair, but it is much better controlled. 40 years old...not a day of color and still looks good.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
I read years ago in Consumer Reports that all shampoos can pretty much wash your hair the same. Some will leave your hair with a coating of some sort for an appearance of thickness or some other effect. Since reading that report, I've been using Suave at about 3 bucks a bottle and am very happy.

FWIW, I'm a guy with a full head of thick hair.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
I would go somewhere in the middle prince range. I have tired some lower end shampoo like at hotels and the stuff really maybe my hair seem more dry.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
I currently use the Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo & Conditioner. I've tried a variety of other brands over the years, but this brand seems to work the best for my type of hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care