Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,782,240 times

Advertisements

I know how to grow my hair but how do I keep it neat and maintain it?

For most of my life I've kept my hair short so I am new to growing long hair.

I have semi-curly black hair but every time I go to the haircutters and ask them to trim and clean up my long hair they look at me like they have no clue what to do and I basically have to tell them what to do even though I have no clue how to cut hair. Of course, this usually results in a total disaster and I end up losing a lot of the growth I waited so long to get instead of them just making it look neat as I originally asked them.

I just wanted them to trim the back and make it neat and they always lose focus and make a mess of it.

How do i grow my hair long when every time I go to get a hair cut they tell me to trim it and clean it up, they have to cut it shorter. Yet I see other guys with perfectly neat long hair while my hair length keeps going backwards every time I go to just clean it up and they look at me like they don't understand what I want.

Is it me? Should I not go in to get it trimmed or cleaned up at all?

I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm the only one who's crazy.

Any guys with long hair out there who can advise me? Thanks.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 08-22-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,881,859 times
Stop getting it cut. Maybe get a trim twice a year.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,782,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Stop getting it cut. Maybe get a trim twice a year.
Thanks and sorry for the freak out.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,642,096 times
Tell them you just want a health trim. Curly hair shrinks up as it goes from wet to dry and takes longer to see progress in length.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,889,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

I have semi-curly black hair but every time I go to the haircutters and ask them to trim and clean up my long hair they look at me like they have no clue what to do and I basically have to tell them what to do even though I have no clue how to cut hair. Of course, this usually results in a total disaster and I end up losing a lot of the growth I waited so long to get instead of them just making it look neat as I originally asked them.

I just wanted them to trim the back and make it neat and they always lose focus and make a mess of it.

How do i grow my hair long when every time I go to get a hair cut they tell me to trim it and clean it up, they have to cut it shorter. Yet I see other guys with perfectly neat long hair while my hair length keeps going backwards every time I go to just clean it up and they look at me like they don't understand what I want.

Mega-Tek, if you can get the original formula. Amazon.com: Mega-Tek Rebuilder Hoof, Mane & Tail, 16 oz: Pet Supplies

Hair vitamins, Biotin, Low manipulation to your hair.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,143,898 times
You just grow it. If you have curly hair, you can get Japanese hair straightening.

It will take you awhile though, maybe as long as a whole year.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,148,919 times
Women do this all the time, so you shouldn't have a problem at all. What you are asking for isn't strange.

Have you told your haircutter you want to grow your hair out? If you have and he doesn't get it, time to switch cutters.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 PM

51,939 posts, read 52,363,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

I got hair down past my mid back.

I've only had a few "trims" for the most part.

I don't have curly hair, more wavy, as it turns out. I don't know how to advise you to do it. Don't cut it for a good while.

The hardest part is getting it to the stage where you can put into a ponytail, before then, it could look crappy for a while.

I wear a ponytail 90 percent of the time. It looks cleaner and is more "work friendly" if that makes any sense.

Wear hats sometimes to help with the awkward stage.

Don't know what I can tell you

I have a goatee too so when my hair is down and I'm out and about I look like I just walked off the set of Sons of Anarchy.

And people will judge you accordingly so don't get defensive about it.

I've told this story before, but at work one time this new hire, happened to be a woman, I introduced myself to her and was making small talk and she asked me if I worked in the warehouse.

Saw the goatee and the ponytail and figured I couldn't have been an engineer type, had to be the warehouse guy.

No offense to warehouse workers...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM

27,260 posts, read 27,321,853 times
Im guessing its pretty easy....just never, ever cut it?? I havent cut miine in years and barely trim it, when I do, its not even an inch. Just a thought...?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,186,349 times
I wouldn't say never cut it. Every three months or so you need the ends trimmed so the splntery ones don't start splitting. And use a wet comb in the shower to comb out tangled so you aren't pulling and ripping at it. It has big threads. Use a good conditioner as well, something with biotan is especially good to make hair stronger. If you use a ponytail, don't do it tight and use the ties made for hair, not elastic as they can damage it.

I envy those who can grow their hair fairly long. Mine is so baby fine--always has been--and just past my shoulders is usually the best I can do.

Happy hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care