Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,151 times

Advertisements

I have a Chi and use it on my fine hair occassionally. I say occassionally because it is really damaging to fine hair. It actually "melts" my hair and gives me a lot of breakage. However, it is marvelous to get rid of the rainy day frizzies. Buy her one, but be sure to teach her how to use it on her delicate fine hair or she may end up without hair. That thing gets HOT.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:07 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
You may be able to go with one that is less expensive if she has fine hair. I have really thick curly hair and the Chi is the only one that I've found that will straighten it out completely. Although, I have not tried the Sedu.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 108,498 times
I'm a hairstylist and I have used the Chi iron, Bed head, Paul Mitchell, and J. Beverly flat irons. Chi and J Beverly are by far my favorites. They get hotter and seem to withstand more use better. With a smaller iron you need to take smaller sections, but that usually increases the straightening affect and will last longer. It is important to use good, salon quality products. Especially a heat protectant. Proper products will also increase that effectiveness and the long-last of the style, while protecting the health of your hair.

If your hair is "melting" when you flat iron, you're doing something wrong. Either the iron is WAY, WAy too hot for your hair, or your hair is very damaged and in need of some sort of restucturizing treatments. I also have very fine hair, and I have never "melted" it.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
Nothing compares to a Chi, and no you don't need to use their styling products. My hairdresser ordered mine for me and it was only $125.I was told to never wrap the cord around it as they have found that is one of the reasons there were problems. Even after mine is turned off I unplug it. Just keep the box, anything ever goes wrong that is the guarantee.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM

187 posts, read 613,793 times
If you have fine hair you shouldnt use a Chi unless you know how to use it. great irons, just use it right.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 48,913 times
CHI is one of the best flat irons out therE, BY far! yOu'll love your chi.GHD is a good iron too, but they run over $200! i got mine at stylebell, they have maxiglides too, i hear that is a really good one too! i hope THis hELPs you

Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 AM

1 posts, read 9,503 times
Thumbs up CHI is BEST!

I've had a CHI for the past six years and I've been through 2 and only paid for one. the ONLY thing that went wrong with my first was that my puppy chewed the cord.... but the LIFETIME WARANTEE covers it! the second one I received I've had for about 3 years and have NO complaints....as a matter of fact-its PERFECT!! my hair is healthy and not fried...and while other straighteners "straighten" hair- they do not perfect, smooth and style without breaking it! thats why i LOVE my CHI!! and wouldnt have it any other waY!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM

302 posts, read 921,926 times
You all have given me something to consider. I have curly, waist length hair, but I prefer to wear it straight. My little cheapie flat iron works ok, but since my hair has not been "chemically altered," it doesn't stay straight long. I may have to give myself a CHI for Christmas.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:14 PM

291 posts, read 1,074,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgurl View Post
You all have given me something to consider. I have curly, waist length hair, but I prefer to wear it straight. My little cheapie flat iron works ok, but since my hair has not been "chemically altered," it doesn't stay straight long. I may have to give myself a CHI for Christmas.
I'm chiming in here late, but maybe you should look into the GHD ceramic irons. I just bought one after hearing rave reviews and it seems that many, many people prefer them to the CHI. I got mine from Sephora (which has an excellent return policy BTW) and couldn't be happier with it. The barrel is rounded so you can wave, curl, straighten, or volumize. It was hella pricey, but it's your *hair* so in my mind, it's worth it. It was $240 originally, but I paid $190 during the Sephora Friends and Family Sale. For me, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Japanese Straightening that I used to do at $750 a pop, twice a year!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 PM

302 posts, read 921,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I'm chiming in here late, but maybe you should look into the GHD ceramic irons. I just bought one after hearing rave reviews and it seems that many, many people prefer them to the CHI. I got mine from Sephora (which has an excellent return policy BTW) and couldn't be happier with it. The barrel is rounded so you can wave, curl, straighten, or volumize. It was hella pricey, but it's your *hair* so in my mind, it's worth it. It was $240 originally, but I paid $190 during the Sephora Friends and Family Sale. For me, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Japanese Straightening that I used to do at $750 a pop, twice a year!

I'll look into that one too, because I really do hate having all of these irons and curlers everywhere, and if I could one that does both, I'd be good. Either way, it'll still be a Christmas gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care