Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times

Advertisements

I have been co washing my hair for a month and a half and occasionally use baking soda and water to wash my hair. The last few days I have had flakes in my hair and cant tell if it is baking soda or dandruff. My scalp is a little itchy sometimes but its such tiny specks that im not sure which it is. Is dandruff always bigger flakes or can it be specks? how can I figure that out and how can I get rid of it without using shampoo? Also if it is dandruff, is it just a phase like the greasy hair phase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM

487 posts, read 896,756 times
Just a note..i hear you should use ACV to wash every now and then, cuts the oil & makes your hair look shiny.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times
I read that but I just dont know if I could stomach that smell. I could maybe give it a try. maybe it will help with the problems I am having now.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
I have been co washing my hair for a month and a half and occasionally use baking soda and water to wash my hair. The last few days I have had flakes in my hair and cant tell if it is baking soda or dandruff. My scalp is a little itchy sometimes but its such tiny specks that im not sure which it is. Is dandruff always bigger flakes or can it be specks? how can I figure that out and how can I get rid of it without using shampoo? Also if it is dandruff, is it just a phase like the greasy hair phase?
Part the hair into 4-6 sections. Rinse the hair section by section (gently massaging the scalp with your fingertips) in the shower with just plain warm water for several minutes. Follow this with an ACV rinse (add a tablespoon of ACV to one cup of water). Then quick rinse with plain warm water again.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Whenever my scalp feels like there is a film (shampoo or not) I like head and shoulders for a real wash. I never used it consistently as a shampoo as I don't really get druffy, but it makes the scalp feel clean and doesn't dry my hair as much as ACV.

I think if I had a dry scalp it would be flakey at that point. It just lays weird at the roots like my mothers does right before she has a dander spell.

I think ACV or the HS both rinse the residue away best underwater in the tub. The hair moves around more freely and its absolutely saturated with water instead of being poured on in from a shower head in spots.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
It's been a while so I'm wondering how did it go...? I also want to point out that baking soda is very alkaline and if you indeed had flaking, very likely as I suppose you rinsed out the baking soda solution, it could've been due to disrupting the normal pH balance of your scalp. I actually used it recently but I followed with a white vinegar solution, some people make it too strong and that's neither necessary nor helpful either, I just use about 1 tbsp. in 8 oz. of warm water (for either) or even a little less.

But there's a better alternative to ACV and it's lemon juice which acts as a clarifier and it's recommended for occasional use in the book "Curly Girl" which originated the "no-shampoo" trend. It is best used by mixing it with CO, also about 1 Tbsp. (or less if the hair is short), limes and even fresh grapefruit juice can be used as well.

Every so often it's also good to do a scalp scrub and either brown sugar or Epsom Salt mixed with CO will do a great job and rinse out completely, plus the advantage of E.S. is that it would help encourage better curl formation, especially on the top of the hair where sometimes the hair tends to go flat.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
It's been a while so I'm wondering how did it go...? I also want to point out that baking soda is very alkaline and if you indeed had flaking, very likely as I suppose you rinsed out the baking soda solution, it could've been due to disrupting the normal pH balance of your scalp. I actually used it recently but I followed with a white vinegar solution, some people make it too strong and that's neither necessary nor helpful either, I just use about 1 tbsp. in 8 oz. of warm water (for either) or even a little less.

But there's a better alternative to ACV and it's lemon juice which acts as a clarifier and it's recommended for occasional use in the book "Curly Girl" which originated the "no-shampoo" trend. It is best used by mixing it with CO, also about 1 Tbsp. (or less if the hair is short), limes and even fresh grapefruit juice can be used as well.

Every so often it's also good to do a scalp scrub and either brown sugar or Epsom Salt mixed with CO will do a great job and rinse out completely, plus the advantage of E.S. is that it would help encourage better curl formation, especially on the top of the hair where sometimes the hair tends to go flat.
Does this help those of us with straight hair? I would love to get some kind of natural wave in my hair.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Hair shape decides the texture. The more flat the strand, the curl is tighter. Strait hair is more rounded. Naturally curly hair will fall in a more strait type pattern if it is dry though. The better hydrated naturally curly or wavy hair is, the more bounce and shine there is to the curl. Build up of styling product can also pull naturally curly hair out and leave it looking dry or dull.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Please, what is CO?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM

42 posts, read 89,336 times
maybe you should try cowashing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care