U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM

131 posts, read 259,829 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise if bleach is required for blonde highlights, when my original color is dark brown? I always go to a hair salon and will continue to do so. However, at this new salon, the stylist does not use bleach; she said she could make my roots blonde (not orange as we discussed) without using bleach.

My roots are now copper. The stylist offered to do the same process again (bleach free), but leave me under the dryer longer this time. Good idea or bad?

My appointment is in 1.5 hours, so speedy responses are especially appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edited to add product used was SunGlitz.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,032,407 times
What did she say she used? I only know of the hydrogen peroxide type to pull out natural color.

Double process? I don't know what she used but I know the more times you strip your hair the more damage is done with the other stuff. If you have really long hair I would just opt for putting in low lights with a demi permanent color and double process only in small areas so if it does break off its not everything.

Dark brown to blonde is damaging for most. I am guessing you have very dark brown hair or a lot of natural red?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM

SunGlitz was product applied. Are hydrogen peroxide and bleach the same when it comes to hair?

I think my previous stylist used bleach to do my highlights. Opsimathia, my natural color is very dark, not sure about natural red though, probably some. I'm just not sure if it will be effective to sit longer under dryer.
The stylist said she does gals with dark hair like mine all the time and it comes out great. Plus, I know the stylist irl & she seems to have great integrity. Yet, she did let me leave the salon with copper roots. Ugh.
I think I am going to be sick.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM

The HP is the common one and what I use. I read on your product and it said it can lift up to seven levels...

I would not do it if your hair feels like its dry. I cant find an ings list for that product. Just marketing mumbo jumbo.

The copper may be because she used the wrong tone or it just didn't lift all the way and she would rather be safe than overdo it if its the first time she did you hair.

I have natural red undertones and I always need to double process for the best results. My hair get dry as straw and I must condition it like crazy. So if she tries to get you to buy the proper follow up conditioners etc do it.
Use your own best judgement though if you want to try to lift again. Since i never used that one I can't speak for it or against it.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM

That was very sweet of you to look it up, Opsimathia. I'll post with results when I return home.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM

The new process improved the copper appearance. It is no longer as bright as a new penny at the new growth. It's not exactly blonde though. My signature look will include a hat this season.

I guess the answer to my original question is: yes, bleach is required.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM

3,427 posts, read 8,365,608 times
How blonde are you trying to go? Dark blonde? You can use a high lift but if you want a light blonde, bleach will be a necessity.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM

Pear Martini, I appreciate your comment. I think that sums it up nicely! As far as how blonde I am trying to go, at this point, any shade of blonde that is not orange will make my day. I know it can be done because it is my usual look; it's just a matter of finding someone who can do it in my location. Right now I am a salon sl_t, doing one nighters at a salon, never to return again to that salon.

Last edited by Sunnny; 03-15-2013 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Edited because I was not allowed to type **** on cd

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM

Bummer it didn't lift all the color out. Do you know what she used exactly? I saw four different colors on the website.

Did she say if you can use HP over that type of color lifter or not?

Maybe one of those purple tinted shampoos can give you an extra boost to cancel out any brassy tones.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM

16,195 posts, read 23,006,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Pear Martini, I appreciate your comment. I think that sums it up nicely! As far as how blonde I am trying to go, at this point, any shade of blonde that is not orange will make my day. I know it can be done because it is my usual look; it's just a matter of finding someone who can do it in my location. Right now I am a salon sl_t, doing one nighters at a salon, never to return again to that salon.
I used to double process my hair. I always ha to use an ahs blonde type toner to take out the red/orange color. Course I toned my hair. I think using a very heavy highlighting or frosting treatment would be my choice now.

I got away with shampoo in haircoloring for awhile too. Nice and Easy brand...100 I think. My hair is light to medium auburn. Well, now it's a lot of grey lol

Double processing your hair to treat roots becomes a lot of work and you really have to know what you are doing to treat your roots and not pull it through to the rest of your hair...That's when you get real damage. They used to make an "old school" conditioner called "Life" not sure if it is still around.

But, I double processed my hair for years, always had healthy hair...I quit when I had my first baby. Had to go through a reverse frosting so that I didn't have those ugly roots for years. Course, now I see that the young ladies are attempting to achieve those roots as a new style...WTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care