Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Some of you guys are grossing me out. I have smelled dirty hair and it makes me ill. And it looks skanky.

Me? Every day. Sometimes two times a day.
Rude much? Some people can get away with washing their hair less and its okay. If you have to wash your hair twice a day, then you are obviously doing something wrong or need to make an appointment with a doctor ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh. Some of you guys are grossing me out. I have smelled dirty hair and it makes me ill. And it looks skanky.

Me? Every day. Sometimes two times a day.

There is no need to wash your hair twice a day unless you have overactive glands that are spewing oil out of the pores of you scalp.

Just because people don't wash their hair daily (or twice daily ) doesn't mean their hair is dirty or it smells or it looks "skanky"

If I washed my hair daily, it would be a disaster. I wash it twice a week at most. Any more than that, it would be brittle, frizzy, overly dry, split, and falling out.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
My sister washes her hair every day and she haves the worst/most dry hair i have ever seen. Its dry, huge, stiffed, like a paste. She cant even manage it properly and it looks like crap. I ve told her to not wash it everyday for it to look better (she was asking me how to make her hair look more like mine) and she said "no way, how can i not wash my hair everday, are u crazy"

so shes left with her awful hair that looks dry and even dirty all the time, and im left with wavy, healthy looking hair, healthier if i havent washed it in days.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 24,706 times
It's best to wash your hair between 1-2 times a week with a shampoo that cleanses your hair of the unwanted dirt and particles. But during the week it's best to condition hair if not everyday at least 4 times a week, because your hair constantly needs moisture. That is what will help to prevent damage to your hair. One the days you're not using a shampoo to wash hair, do a conditioner and rinse in the shower using mildly warm water (if not cold). Refrain from using hot water on your hair.

If you need help finding a good shampoo and conditioner please send me a private message and let me know. Thanks.

Heavenly Essence

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
I set a record: i spent 5 (FIVE) days without washing in the long/holiday weekend of eastern!!!
I finally washed it yesterday.

By day 5, everyone in work was telling me how WONDERFUL my hair looks. They dont say this everyday when i go with my hair just washed, they tell me this after i havent washed in a record time of 5 days. It was the most time i spent without washing it, and the response to it was overwhelmingly positive. I ended up washing it cause i started to feel it was dirty, though it smelled good. But i couldnt help it. I think 3 days was the maximum i spent without washing it before.

Anyways, i guess not washing your hair prevents it for damage and make it look beautiful!!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
I have oily hair (pain in the butt) so I usually wash every other day.

It is funny you ask this question because I was reading about women using baby powder or corn starch in between shampooing to keep the oilies out. I tried this the other day and wow I really like it, my hair was full of volume. When I first heard about this the first thing I thought was: gross, but so far I actually like it.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Hell will freeze over before I wash my hair less than once a day in my am shower.
If I get sweaty and need to shower in the afternoon - like after a day at the beach - a LIGHT shampooing is all that's needed.
At a late night shower I let 'er rest.
I have short, generally oily hair, but not excessively.
I use plenty of product so this may affect my shampoo rate.
And my hair is in excellent condition.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I wash my hair when it's dirty. Sometimes that's every day, sometimes every other day, sometimes every three or four days.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Hell will freeze over before I wash my hair less than once a day in my am shower.
If I get sweaty and need to shower in the afternoon - like after a day at the beach - a LIGHT shampooing is all that's needed.
At a late night shower I let 'er rest.
I have short, generally oily hair, but not excessively.
I use plenty of product so this may affect my shampoo rate.
And my hair is in excellent condition.
Short hair generally is in better condition than long because you are constantly cutting off the dry, older, ends, no?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 AM

351 posts, read 499,662 times
My hair is very brittle and "kinky" with lots of split ends (keep in mind I am a guy with short hair)
I don't know if this matters, but I can hear my hair when I run my hand through it -- is that a symptom of dryness? Because when I feel individual strands they do not feel dry.

My hair is brittle but the individual strands seem quite flexible.

I'm so confused!

I wash my hair daily with shampoo -- I've heard it's bad...but the problem is it smells if I wash it only with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care