U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM

17 posts, read 152,954 times

Advertisements

I have been coloring my hair forever, but it is surprisingly healthy right now (this hasn't always been the case).A few years ago I bleached out my permanently colored light brown hair because I was bored, ready to go blonde again, and my hair was taking color unevenly. I (stupidly) bleached it 2x in one day, then toned it a pretty medium ash blonde. It was, of course,significantly damaged but looked good. Over the course of a year it got too brittle and I had to cut my long hair to chin length and had a salon add in low lights so I could go back to my natural, boring medium ash brown color. I wanted to grow my hair out and get it healthy again. Well, now two years later, here I am in a similar place as when I decided to bleach few years ago. My hair has had many applications of permanent color on it and isn't taking color evenly. The roots are about 1.5 in grown out, then I have a band of lighter brown (1 or 2 applications of permanent color), a band that's really light, and a band at the ends that's a shade darker. I have to fix this mess, can't afford to see a pro at a salon,and want to keep my hair soft, healthy, and long. Ideally, I'd like to go back to the ash blonde. I just don't know how to do that and keep my hair healthy. Suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,585,073 times
I think that almost any salon should be able to do partial highlights and color, as long as it's not sketchy. I used to go to a higher end salon to have my hair highlighted every 3-4 months and was paying well over $100 each time. I'm tight on cash nowadays and have found a similar salon to a hair cuttery (a little more high-end, of course) and spend a lot less. If you're not looking for something that too fancy, I think any experienced stylist/colorist should be able to handle highlight and color.

My hair was in a similar situation to yours. I was very blonde (full highlights) with my medium brown roots growing out. I had my hair partially highlighted with a medium brown color used in between the foils. Turned out great- not to mention you can't tell that my roots have grown out- so my hair is not as damaged because I'm not highlighting/coloring as much.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM

17 posts, read 152,954 times
Thanks for the reply however I can't afford a salon dye job. I want to go lighter not darker so low lights aren't the solution. I will still be unhappy with the color. I am looking for alternative ideas to doing a full bleach to even things out and get the blonde I like. Maybe do a protein filler, then touch up my roots, pull the color through to the ends after its been on the roots 20 mins. Follow that up with foil high lights in the color I like (bleach them then tone them to the desired shade). For maintenance I would touch up my root, add in more high lights and eventually some low lights. I'm pretty good with foils so I can do it myself. This would still involve bleaching but it would be more gradual and I will be deep conditioning quite a bit. Any pros have feed back on if this might work? I know it will be high maintenance but I've never been blonde without it being that way.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM

3,427 posts, read 8,345,688 times
OP, I'm a hair coloring junkie and have damaged my hair beyond repair many times in the past.

I have also successfully and not successfully done my own highlights even receiving compliments from my stylists.

Your hair has been through a lot and only a highly skilled colorist can help you out. Find a stylist with good reviews on yelp and go from there. If you can't afford monthly visits, just go in whenever your color starts looking horrible again.

After doing my own highlights for a year, I decided to lighten the base at home from a level 4.5-5 to a level 6. Sound easy right? Well, I messed it up and had an orangey brown base color and too ashy highlights ( I used a light ash brown hi lift).

So just forget about doing it yourself, it will make your life a lot easier. Also, do coconut oil treatments once a week.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,585,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace325 View Post
Thanks for the reply however I can't afford a salon dye job. I want to go lighter not darker so low lights aren't the solution. I will still be unhappy with the color. I am looking for alternative ideas to doing a full bleach to even things out and get the blonde I like. Maybe do a protein filler, then touch up my roots, pull the color through to the ends after its been on the roots 20 mins. Follow that up with foil high lights in the color I like (bleach them then tone them to the desired shade). For maintenance I would touch up my root, add in more high lights and eventually some low lights. I'm pretty good with foils so I can do it myself. This would still involve bleaching but it would be more gradual and I will be deep conditioning quite a bit. Any pros have feed back on if this might work? I know it will be high maintenance but I've never been blonde without it being that way.

Considering you're wanting to color your hair at home, how much are you willing to spend?

I mentioned the lowlights hoping to make the color even. If you do partial color or even full highlights, you just may be able to see the unevenness. Maybe even a demi or semi permanent in a dark blonde may work? IDK, anytime you go lighter, there's more damage. Post pictures if you end up coloring/lightning!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 AM

910 posts, read 2,120,505 times
Quote:
I have been coloring my hair forever, but it is surprisingly healthy right now (this hasn't always been the case).A few years ago I bleached out my permanently colored light brown hair because I was bored, ready to go blonde again, and my hair was taking color unevenly. I (stupidly) bleached it 2x in one day, then toned it a pretty medium ash blonde. It was, of course,significantly damaged but looked good. Over the course of a year it got too brittle and I had to cut my long hair to chin length and had a salon add in low lights so I could go back to my natural, boring medium ash brown color. I wanted to grow my hair out and get it healthy again. Well, now two years later, here I am in a similar place as when I decided to bleach few years ago. My hair has had many applications of permanent color on it and isn't taking color evenly. The roots are about 1.5 in grown out, then I have a band of lighter brown (1 or 2 applications of permanent color), a band that's really light, and a band at the ends that's a shade darker. I have to fix this mess, can't afford to see a pro at a salon,and want to keep my hair soft, healthy, and long. Ideally, I'd like to go back to the ash blonde. I just don't know how to do that and keep my hair healthy. Suggestions?
You have described a real good mess there so I'm assuming you've been coloring your own hair and doing it incorrectly, that or your salon sucks. I've known a lot of people that when their roots have grown out they just do a total head application, not taking into account that the hair that has already been colored, or simply it's older, will be more porous and absorb more colors (hence your darker ends...). The other bands could be due to difference in timing, change of shade/brand, but I have no idea what you've been doing. One thing I see is that you keep repeating the same mistakes. If you know you get bored with your hair dark, why use a permanent color to begin with? You could've used a demi-permanent which fades out on its own or is easier to remove. I fear that if you insist on going blonde right now with that mess on your head you're gonna end up with damaged hair all over again.

Not knowing the missing details I am reluctant to suggest anything, but the wheels are turning in my head so I just want to post what I'm thinking now, but I cannot guarantee your success as this is something that as everybody has already said should be done by a professional, so do at your own risk.

First, you'll have to go and buy L'Oreal's Hair Color Remover kit, or if you already have developer at home you can get a packet of Effasol at Sally's Beauty Supply. You NEED to do a strand test first! If you get impatient you just might be sorry for a very long time! Start appllication where the hair is darkest, then after it's lightened at least one level (that will depend on how dark it is, here's a chart so you can decide) skip the lighter band and go on to the other darker one closer to the roots (but don't apply on the roots!) and check every 5 min., because you're going to have to apply it also to the lighter band, but since it has less accumulated color it won't require as much time. If I were you I'd invite a good friend over to help you with this.

And you're also going to have to guess what stage of lightening your hair has reached once the pigment is gone
by using the chart. Which brings me to asking you how often you had your ends trimmed in these two years and how much hair you would calculate was taken off, because when you cut your hair chin length you left several inches of already processed hair which could still be at the ends of your hair and would not only process a lot lighter than the rest (from orange gold to pale yellow, depending on how light your shade of blonde was...) but it could be destroyed by removing the color and then bleaching and toning on top, so you may have to consider cutting it even before you go ahead with the color removing.

It is a mistake to use bleach on top of permanently colored darker, bleach can only oxydize so much pigment, which is probably why you had to bleach it 2x. That happened to me many years ago, but the fault was of the teacher of the beauty school where I had gone, she kept insisting it was the same - NOT! You would still have to use bleach to achieve the desired stage but it would take less time and do less damage to the hair.

After the color removal you will have to use a protein rich deep conditioner that also has some oils, leave it on for a whole hour if possible and then let your hair rest at least 24 hours. Plan to do this during a weekend so you don't have to go out because it won't be a very pretty sight.

After the rest you can bleach applying first to the roots since the rest of the hair will be a few levels lighter, read your instructions carefully so you can calculate the time. It's best if you also do a strand test for the bleach on the same color remover strand once you rinse it out, and so you don't forget, write down the time it took for the roots to get like the rest of the hair and then how long it will take to get it all at the desire level so you can apply the toner of your choice, which you may also want to test right after.

After you do the total head bleaching not shampoo, just use a conditioner rich in oils but with no proteins to wash the residue out. Apply the toner and condition again. I would NOT blow dry or use any heating utensils for at least a week. If your hair needs "something" try wrapping it in curlers, it's the most protective tecnique there is, and even if you have to put a dryer to your head it will still leave it shiny and bouncy.

Don't use any conditioner with proteins for at least 48 hours or else the toner will fade really fast. And you may want to consider ditching shampoo altogether because the "no shampoo" routine remoisturizes the hair (in about 2-3 weeks), preserves the color and makes it and keeps it as healthy at it can be.

Phew! You owe me at least a certificate for a free meal, lol!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 32,904 times
Him I wonder if you can give me some advice, yes I was a hairdresser, was is in the past tense....I need to dye my hair, and really can't afford GOUNG to a hairdresser. Not working! Doing interviews and really don't feel good about self like I am at present. First of all, my hair loves ,UG Ug going red..as my hair is now, I've had proffesional you done 6 Months ago med brown as base and my high lights..., now I got, the re growth of that and darker brown and grey..with this other!..I want the high lights, yes I do, as my hair is 1/3 grey and rest the darker brown...driving me nuts....I don't look gd fully blond and don't want that...was thinking about doing the base colour, then taking by hand and doing random highlights....please your advice on this and what best product do I use! Hope you can help...I do like my base more dark chestnut...and very light small high lights! You advice really would help before I even attempt this mission impossible...giggle...as always ,I want try keep hair as healthy as possible...oh, as I've thyroid problems, my hair has thinned, for now ...I'm very carful with it, also it frizzy and curly...the froz, is the problem....many thanks...I'm white origin.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:38 AM

12 posts, read 153,660 times
Quote:

Noooooo!!! Get joico's base breaker, in cool. Then strand test but for the next week use olaplex which you can buy off ebay to repair the hair or you willbe bald. Go to a beauty school! Also oil treatments & no heat. All the time sweety!
Check my thread to accomplish healthy blonde down to your butt

Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 AM

12 posts, read 153,660 times
Quote:
I'd use joico base breaker in cool and all radiance deposit only by loreal. Zero peroxide. Add highlights over & over again until it's mostly ashy. I'd buy manic panic colors as its deposit only

I'd use

Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 AM

94 posts, read 142,688 times
First of all you should avoid shampooing your hair frequently but you can use conditioners and shampoos for colour treated hair contain moisturisers which can protect your hair from damage issues. I do occasional deep conditioning treatment to maintain my hair's health after bleaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care