Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonhead View Post

Stevie Nicks at 60!!! fabulous!!!
Stevie Nicks is an excellent example!! Can you imagine her w/short hair?? I can't! Just as I can't imagine myself with short hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I don't know if it's long hair that dates a woman and makes her look older or failing to update it. I have several friends with longish hair that looks straight out of the 80's. ANd it drives me crazy b/c they are so beautiful--but the hair is soo distracting. I have one dear friend who wears her hair poker straight and parted in the middle. Didn't look good 20 years ago and doesn't look good now. If long hair didn't suit you when you were younger, it won't make you look good as you age.

Alternatively, cutting it into a bob doesn't seem to magically make women look younger, either. I wouldn't cut my hair just because I reached a certain age. BUt as I get older, my hair's only purpose is to draw attention to what I like and draw attention away from what I don't. I think as you get older, you have to have a talented hair stylist to tweak your hair, whether it's long or short, so that it's customized for you. Also, as you get older hair does thin--usually starting at the hairline so some of us may not have a choice anyway. To tell you the truth, my older friends with long hair that looks great have extensions for either length or thickness.

As for me, my hair is should-length. As I get older, I'm definitely going to try different hairstyles. I figure it's only hair and it'll grow back. If it doesn't I'm going with extensions/wig
No offense--but sounds like you should worry less about your friends and let them decide what they want to do with their hair since that's what you've done with your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
No offense--but sounds like you should worry less about your friends and let them decide what they want to do with their hair since that's what you've done with your own.
And here I thought the thread was about how older women who wear long hair are perceived by others

Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Long hair is not universally flattering.
Yep, and neither is short hair.

It's all about choosing what's most flattering, and that varies person to person. I guarantee that I will not EVER choose to wear my hair any shorter than chin length at the absolute shortest. Any shorter than that is very, very unflattering given my face shape.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times
Default Short can be appealing too

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I think men feel differently too. A woman's hair is appealing to them.
And there are all kinds of lengths too.

It is just that the "over the ear" cut seems to be thing about not being sexy anymore, so cut your hair. The menopause cut.
My wife recently let her past the shoulder-length hair go natural (she's African-American) and it kinked up into a tight medium-length Afro (except for the front which she relaxes and styles into a long wavelength curl). It looks great and I find the Afro a lot more appealing given her exotic high-cheekboned looks that never looked quite right with typical European stylings. I actually like running my hands through her better now than before. You can pat it and it magically springs back and I can run my fingers through it now and the natural hair's a lot stronger so she doesn't yell at me about "breaking off" the weakened relaxed hair. It's like a beautiful fuzzy black nerf ball - very groovy. She was thinking about going back but with Michael Jackson's death she thinks they will become more popular and mainstream (seeing all the piccies of the "young, black, male Michael).

Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,946 times
Default My opinion as a woman

is, that long hair and black hair on women over 50, makes them look OLDER, unless they are very-young looking to begin with.

And another problem I am observing is: that many ladies today are looking to compete with their daughters, who read these magazines for the under 30 group, and they begin to dress like 30 or under, without realizing their true age, and how ridiculous and cheap they look.

I know I am going to get criticism for my way of thinking, but that is .

Old 07-06-2009, 04:48 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
is, that long hair and black hair on women over 50, makes them look OLDER, unless they are very-young looking to begin with.

And another problem I am observing is: that many ladies today are looking to compete with their daughters, who read these magazines for the under 30 group, and they begin to dress like 30 or under, without realizing their true age, and how ridiculous and cheap they look.

I know I am going to get criticism for my way of thinking, but that is .
I won't criticize YOU, but I will criticize the department stores and clothing manufacturers that don't want to give older women any options BUT to dress like their daughters.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Long hair on women over 45 looks horrible when it's the same hair do from their high school days - bleach blond "Farah Fawcette" hair on a 50 year old woman who smokes 2 packs a day - just horrible!

Will pencil this in on my 45th bday next year...............make appt. at hair salon- cut hair off 1st thing in the am! (My hair is a little past my shoulder)....Not!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Will pencil this in on my 45th bday next year...............make appt. at hair salon- cut hair off 1st thing in the am! (My hair is a little past my shoulder)....Not!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I won't criticize YOU, but I will criticize the department stores and clothing manufacturers that don't want to give older women any options BUT to dress like their daughters.
You might be correct up to a certain extent about the influx of the young in our culture, and manufacturers wanting to cash on them, since they do lots of buying, however, there is an excellent chain of stores called "Coldwater Creek," with a multitude of stores all over the USA that have beautifully-made clothes, at reasonable prices, and lots of sales, and J. Jill, has many stores and sales. And there are a multitude of catalog houses with very beautiful ones, also.

Nordstrom's, JC Penney, Sears, Kmart, Walmart, Lord & Taylor, Macy's all do have regular and plus sizes.

There is no reason to look like one's daughter!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Back in the 1970s when I was young, many women had long hair. It got started in the hippie era of the late 1960s and continued well into the 1980s. Trouble is many of these women who grew up with the long hair in the 60s and 70s are now Grandmas and no longer look all that great with super long hair. Though they still look at themselves as young hippie girls from 1970s- instead of the middle aged women they are today.

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?
Disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care