Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene09 View Post
Maybe you mean women who "look" over 45 vs. women who are over 45. I'm sure there are many women over 45 with long hair out there that look great, but don't look their age. I think the hair length issue is less about how old you are and more about how you look, what's appropriate for that look, your hair style and your overall personal style.
Agreed. And then again, as well, what do people think 45 is supposed to look like? Remember when Gloria Steinhem wore that wonderful black strapless dress and when people said she looked so GOOD for 50, she said "This is what 50 looks like!"
We women are looking better than ever, at whatever age we are, but we also are (hopefully) learning to be more comfortable than ever in our own unique skins...that means if you want to wear your gray hair long and flowing in the breeze, "ain't nobody's bizness" but your own! Yeah for women!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM

192 posts, read 617,891 times
Quote:
I just love when people spend their days on Fashion and Beauty threads and argue the whole world how they don't care how they look! anyway, this thread is not about that and we can end this discussion.
Im only a member of the hair forum, and thats because I'm in cosmetology school....not because i give a rats behind for MYSELF. And I guess others agreed with what I had posted, because I just got 3 rep points just from this post, so whatever. I'll continue talking, because I can....because that's what DISCUSSION boards are for.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,308 times
What is truly silly is the notion that once a woman reaches a certain age she should chop her hair off.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
I don't know when women started opting for the short hair as more of a norm but I've never been particularly fond of the idea or look. At some point it is easier for older women who may have some physical difficulties to have their hair cut and set and the shorter styles are practical.

I've worked in health care for years and I have seen more than a few women who kept longer hair, did not dye it and wore it in an updo. In almost all cases it was soft looking on them and seemed quite appropriate.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
If a woman takes care of herself and her hair (it is well cut and dyed) then I don't think it is inappropriate. But there is sooo many women who seem like they never trimmed or dyed their hair.
What's with you and your need to stamp out gray hair? Why does everyone have to dye their hair? Gray hair can be well cut and healthy, but you seem intent on including "dying" in your list of mandatory hair grooming. WHAT THE H*** IS WRONG WITH GRAY HAIR?

ETA: How old are you? Just testing a theory.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Thumbs up Don't hate the long-haired beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene09 View Post
Maybe you mean women who "look" over 45 vs. women who are over 45. I'm sure there are many women over 45 with long hair out there that look great, but don't look their age. I think the hair length issue is less about how old you are and more about how you look, what's appropriate for that look, your hair style and your overall personal style.
Yup! If you don't look your age (weight is good, wrinkles low, etc.) then you can only be one thing with those long locks:extremely sexy!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Back in the 1970s when I was young, many women had long hair. It got started in the hippie era of the late 1960s and continued well into the 1980s. Trouble is many of these women who grew up with the long hair in the 60s and 70s are now Grandmas and no longer look all that great with super long hair. Though they still look at themselves as young hippie girls from 1970s- instead of the middle aged women they are today.

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?
Long hair actually stopped in the Roaring Twenties with the "bob" haircut, and started back up in the late sixties, when "au naturale" was "in" again. Back in those days, it was a scandalous thing to chop all of your long locks off.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Frankly, I see a lot of young women with long hair that needs a really serious trim, and for some face shapes, it does nothing at all to enhance their looks. And I see plenty of older women with thick, long gray hair that looks fabulous on them. So I think it depends more on your hair and what length looks best on YOU, rather than your age.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM

196 posts, read 564,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
What's with you and your need to stamp out gray hair? Why does everyone have to dye their hair? Gray hair can be well cut and healthy, but you seem intent on including "dying" in your list of mandatory hair grooming. WHAT THE H*** IS WRONG WITH GRAY HAIR?

ETA: How old are you? Just testing a theory.
Your theory is probably right - I am 24 with georgeous NATURALLY blond hair and nobody will ever see me with gray hair when the time comes.
To answer your question - I just don't see why woman wouldn't want to look younger and in my oppinion gray hair doesn't do the job. I am sure you are trying to fight the wrinkles? Same thing.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
To answer your question - I just don't see why woman wouldn't want to look younger
Because not all of us are insecure and hung up on looking younger. I'm 45, and I embrace my age. Aging is simply part of living. The fact that you "just don't see" speaks volumes.

Quote:
I am sure you are trying to fight the wrinkles? Same thing.
You would be wrong. I'm not fighting anything. One of the nice things about maturing is that you figure out what is important and what isn't. I like to look as good as I can (who doesn't), but I'm not ashamed to have gray hair and a few wrinkles. I feel very sorry for insecure women who cannot accept that they are going to get older and look older. It's called life.

You're welcome to do anything you want to your face, hair and body, but please don't presume that we all share YOUR values. And don't gripe about those of us who don't agree with YOUR priorities. You are not the sole arbiter of acceptable hair colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care