Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
some women can pull it off- and I say some- but too many look like an anachronism as do men who never change. It is kind of like my late mother who wore the same basic hairstyle from about 1962 on until her death in 2006. have you noticed old men who still wear a slicked down head full of vitalis and a buzz around the back and sides? Same thing really. Some people just can't let go of the past.
Agreed! I've seen so many elderly women who've had the same hairstyle since the 50s or 60s and the same polyester slacks and blouse from the 70s. Don't you have to sleep in curlers to maintain those styles? I've never been able to sleep in curlers. I can understand not being able to keep up with the latest trends as we age, but how can someone let all those decades pass and not change their look at all??
I won't put the old men down too much if that's how they're wearing their hair, because those fellows are lucky if they still have hair by then.
What I'd like to know about those women is how some of them get that pinkish peach haircolor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
It comes down to comfort & style preference & it differs for us all. I don't understand the style choices of many people I see each day, but it doesn't affect me in one way or the other. I don't judge it, I just notice.

For me, femininity is tied up in my long hair, prefering dresses/skirts over trousers, perfume, makeup. Some overdo it, some underdo it, but, that's always been the case. That isn't to say that women with very short, cropped cuts who prefer baggy trousers don't feel feminine... I just don't. Like many women I have varying styles... I don't go food shopping in high heels & a silk dress... it's more shorts, tee & a ponytail... baseball cap if it's hot & sunny. I still feel feminine, just not as much as when wearing a pretty outfit with hair down.

The only time people need to worry about their looks is if interviewing/working, I believe. We all know image projection is important then, even though beige nylons, hair in a bun & a suit aren't my favorite things to wear. I have a young relative who shows up for office interviews with about 30 metal eyebrow/lip/nose piercings, enormous ear plugs, shocking neon hair & a giant tongue piercing which affects the way she speaks. She never gets hired. (Truth is, she doesn't want to be, but that's another issue for her mum to deal with, since she lives at home). If that's the way she chooses to look, cool... just save it for afterwork. People at work wouldn't recognize me in other environments either (dressed in a gown at a social event or in workout gear & no makeup at the gym), but it's smart to know how to tailor your look when necessary. Other than that, express yourself in the way which makes you & your SO (if you're lucky enough to have one) happy.

I agree with the others above... to long, flowing hair for me!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
What I'd like to know about those women is how some of them get that pinkish peach haircolor.
They're using a semi-permanent color (typically a medium brown) and their natural white hair shaft doesn't have enough melatonin for the darker color molecules to grab onto so the color can set. They need to change to a permanent color in a lighter shade and then they can get something that looks closer to a color found in nature.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I think after 50 you need to have shorter hair. ten years ago my two nieces were in their early 20s,here is what my nieces had to say about long hair; The faces look old. Longer hair looks better when you are younger.Imagin looking at someone from their back,they have long hair.It does look pretty.But when they turn their head around you would see an old face.It just doesn't look appealing and doesn't match.
Yes. I think it is the juxtaposition of the long hair (youthful) and the older face that makes a woman look as though she is trying too hard and not aging happily, not comfortable with herself.

That said, I have seen women with totally grey hair that is long that was gorgeous, but then, the face and hair matched.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
They're using a semi-permanent color (typically a medium brown) and their natural white hair shaft doesn't have enough melatonin for the darker color molecules to grab onto so the color can set. They need to change to a permanent color in a lighter shade and then they can get something that looks closer to a color found in nature.
No, those gals are using a rinse.
Roux Fanci-Full Rinse:
Interesting to see the lavender and blue rinses arent listed anymore.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM

132 posts, read 304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
It comes down to comfort & style preference & it differs for us all. I don't understand the style choices of many people I see each day, but it doesn't affect me in one way or the other. I don't judge it, I just notice.

For me, femininity is tied up in my long hair, prefering dresses/skirts over trousers, perfume, makeup. Some overdo it, some underdo it, but, that's always been the case. That isn't to say that women with very short, cropped cuts who prefer baggy trousers don't feel feminine... I just don't. Like many women I have varying styles... I don't go food shopping in high heels & a silk dress... it's more shorts, tee & a ponytail... baseball cap if it's hot & sunny. I still feel feminine, just not as much as when wearing a pretty outfit with hair down.

The only time people need to worry about their looks is if interviewing/working, I believe. We all know image projection is important then, even though beige nylons, hair in a bun & a suit aren't my favorite things to wear. I have a young relative who shows up for office interviews with about 30 metal eyebrow/lip/nose piercings, enormous ear plugs, shocking neon hair & a giant tongue piercing which affects the way she speaks. She never gets hired. (Truth is, she doesn't want to be, but that's another issue for her mum to deal with, since she lives at home). If that's the way she chooses to look, cool... just save it for afterwork. People at work wouldn't recognize me in other environments either (dressed in a gown at a social event or in workout gear & no makeup at the gym), but it's smart to know how to tailor your look when necessary. Other than that, express yourself in the way which makes you & your SO (if you're lucky enough to have one) happy.

I agree with the others above... to long, flowing hair for me!
I feel like what is objectionable is telling women that once you are whatever age you need to….fill in the blank.

I thought this kind of crap stopped when you turn 21 and you’re old enough to make your own decisions about what you do, where you go, what you wear, etc.

You’re an adult and what’s it to anybody if you want to wear your hear down to your back if you’re seventy?

Women get this kind of flack much more than men do and I know it’s all about youth has a right to present itself as vibrant and sexy and old women must “accept” they’re old and done. In short that they’re NOT vibrant and they’re definitely not sexy.

To drive home these points, society takes away all the markers of femininity and adornment punishment to women who dare to grow older. This tells you how women are viewed, doesn’t it? You very much get the message that your worth is youth and beauty and once it’s gone there’s no use for you. In fact, nobody wants to see you!

That’s the other half of cut off all your hair and climb into a gunny sack mentality or else you’re embarrassing yourself by trying to look “young.” Sadly, many women are complicit in this.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
I feel like what is objectionable is telling women that once you are whatever age you need to….fill in the blank.

I thought this kind of crap stopped when you turn 21 and you’re old enough to make your own decisions about what you do, where you go, what you wear, etc.

You’re an adult and what’s it to anybody if you want to wear your hear down to your back if you’re seventy?

Women get this kind of flack much more than men do and I know it’s all about youth has a right to present itself as vibrant and sexy and old women must “accept” they’re old and done. In short that they’re NOT vibrant and they’re definitely not sexy.

To drive home these points, society takes away all the markers of femininity and adornment punishment to women who dare to grow older. This tells you how women are viewed, doesn’t it? You very much get the message that your worth is youth and beauty and once it’s gone there’s no use for you. In fact, nobody wants to see you!

That’s the other half of cut off all your hair and climb into a gunny sack mentality or else you’re embarrassing yourself by trying to look “young.” Sadly, many women are complicit in this.
Well said, I 100% agree.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I think it actually helps a woman to look younger to keep her hair long. I like it on all ages, and it's a shame women start chopping their hair when they get older.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post

I can't tell if you agree or disagree with me... I felt I was saying the same thing... be yourself, be comfortable... that's what is attractive in anyone.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think anyone who thinks women over 45 with real long hair look silly....is silly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care