Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times

Advertisements

Actually, I have friends who have very long hair and we look doggone GREAT!! Our lead vocalist (in the band) right now is close to my age and she has long beautiful hair. Sometimes I envy her, but in a good way....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:36 PM

22,136 posts, read 19,195,499 times
I am 49 and have always had long hair and I have to say the older I get, the more compliments I get on my hair. I have total strangers stop me, often from other cultures, and say, "Women in my culture don't have long hair when they are older and I think it is beautiful." It is lots of fun to hear the comments. In my experience, the guys I've dated looooooove long hair, but that could just be the ones that don't steer clear of me!

Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 PM

ooooo Magnum Mike is totally hot. Now that is a thread right there, while we're on the attractiveness of hair length, the whole segment of the female population that think bald men are totally hot. I would waaaaaaaay rather date someone with a gorgeous smooth head (shaved or natural) than either the receding hair line, or the "few hairs combed over" look. Why don't more men just go bald, because I think it is totally hot! I could never get why men went after the hair implant thing. Two hair styles for men are totally sexy in my book, bald, or long,long,long and ponytail or braided. To me those are the penultimate in masculine attractiveness.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Oprah had haircutters cut the hair of almost 100 volunteers on today's show, all looked better with shorter hair.
better by what standards? i love my long hair and i love being with people who love my hair (my hair and my cleavage are the only 2 parts of my physical being that I am vain about : ) ) Better to go by one's own standards of beauty than TV or magazine or cultural norm. Real people are what's really attractive, real people expressing creatively who they are by their own standards.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
Very long hair down to the waist looks bad imo. Long hair is ok as long as it isn't too long, maybe halfway down. But extremely long hair is the most unappealing thing. When I see woman with hair to their waist they all look the same with no fashion sense. They do nothing with their hair and that extends to their wardrobe too.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Very long hair down to the waist looks bad imo. Long hair is ok as long as it isn't too long, maybe halfway down. But extremely long hair is the most unappealing thing. When I see woman with hair to their waist they all look the same with no fashion sense. They do nothing with their hair and that extends to their wardrobe too.
That's not necessarily so. I have very long hair. I compete in ballroom dance and wear my long hair in a variety of styles that short hair would not allow. I wear a lot of killer updo's and have sassy ponytails for latin. When my hair was shorter I had to wear hair pieces to achieve these looks. As for fashion sense - I think I put Imelda Marcos to shame!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What a load of hooey,oh, but thats JMO. Live and let live I say. I love
long hair, and have it, and plan to grow it to my waist. And Im...gasp,48.
Updos are excellent!!!!!! And mines streaked with silver. Oh my

Greenchili

Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 26,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Back in the 1970s when I was young, many women had long hair. It got started in the hippie era of the late 1960s and continued well into the 1980s. Trouble is many of these women who grew up with the long hair in the 60s and 70s are now Grandmas and no longer look all that great with super long hair. Though they still look at themselves as young hippie girls from 1970s- instead of the middle aged women they are today.

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?
I strongly disagree. I have to echo other's post. It depends on the person that is wearing it. I am 55 years young...and, I lovessssssssss long hair. I wear it a tad over shoulders. And, it does look quite sexy. Men are always complementing me on my hair. Now! I do love the Halle Berry look on my daughter. She is gorgeous...but again. It just depends on the person.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
Does Julia Roberts, Catherine Zeta Jones, Meryl Streep,Lauren Hutton, Christie Brinkley,Cheryl Tiegs,Meg Ryan,for example..look bad with long hair? Having a nice face with good features and and a nice complextion looks much better on a woman with longer hair. Nothing more scary than standing behind someone with nice long hair thinking the person wearing it must be attractive and younger and have them turn around and it looks like Whistler's Mother. If you haven't changed your hair style since high school, and it's been over ten years then it could be time to update your look. That doesn't mean chop it all off. Just style it to suit your present age and looks and your lifestyle.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
Those stars you mentioned have a nice length.
This is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care