Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I think I posted on this before about the texture of my hair.

My hair has always been very straight all over, front and back. It has been fairly fine but very thick, and a lot of it.

Now I have lost quite a bit of it due to a chemotherapy medication I have to take weekly. It does come back in and you can tell that because of all of the new growth of different lengths all over the place.

It is a different texture. A lot of it is much thicker and some of it even may have a bit of an ethnic feel. I don't know how else to explain that.

Now what it is doing is being completely wavy in the back. From just behind my ears. The front and top are still straight. Just the back that is wavy.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know the other part must be from my medication but the half and half perplexes me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
I say work with what you have. The different textures will make your hairstyle unique!
Get same styling products and try new things, A creative hairstylist should give you some good ideas if you book a consultation. What you have is not that unusual, Hair texture changes with climate and age as well.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Essentially that is what has happened to my hair as I got older. I had straight hair, and through the past 15 years it's become wavy (which isn't bad) and frizzy (which is bad). We live in a high humidity area, and this has happened to a large portion of my female friends.

All that is probably not related to your situation? Or perhaps it is.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

My hair has always been very straight all over, front and back. It has been fairly fine but very thick, and a lot of it.

Now I have lost quite a bit of it due to a chemotherapy medication I have to take weekly. It does come back in and you can tell that because of all of the new growth of different lengths all over the place.

It is a different texture. A lot of it is much thicker and some of it even may have a bit of an ethnic feel. I don't know how else to explain that.

Now what it is doing is being completely wavy in the back. From just behind my ears. The front and top are still straight. Just the back that is wavy.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know the other part must be from my medication but the half and half perplexes me....
It is commonly known as "chemo curls". After the chemo is over, after a few follicle cycles, your hair should begin to return to its previous texture. If you run a search for chemo curls you'll find a lot of information.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Now I have lost quite a bit of it due to a chemotherapy medication I have to take weekly. .

Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It is commonly known as "chemo curls". After the chemo is over, after a few follicle cycles, your hair should begin to return to its previous texture. If you run a search for chemo curls you'll find a lot of information.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I had a feeling it was this medication changing my hair. It has changed the coloring as well..... lol... maybe it will also go back to normal if I ever stop taking it....

Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Aww. Sweetie. Yes, my friend who had chemo for breast cancer had her hair grow back in positively curly. It was very straight before. Actually, it looks gorgeous.

Good health to you.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 AM

466 posts, read 581,134 times
Quote:
I agree with Tilli, chemo curls. I also know that your hair will revert to being straight eventually. My hair suffered after a breast cancer op Oct 2013 which was followed by intense radiotherapy. To cut a long story short my hair became very brittle, broke, lost it's shine and body. My hairdresser suggested I change to Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. I did and now my hair is back to healthy, grey, straight, coarse, shiny and very manageable. Yours will be too.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin1313 View Post
I agree with Tilli, chemo curls. I also know that your hair will revert to being straight eventually. My hair suffered after a breast cancer op Oct 2013 which was followed by intense radiotherapy. To cut a long story short my hair became very brittle, broke, lost it's shine and body. My hairdresser suggested I change to Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. I did and now my hair is back to healthy, grey, straight, coarse, shiny and very manageable. Yours will be too.
Thank you but I don't think it will because I will take the chemo once a week most likely for the rest of my life.

Now I am battling with it all falling out all over the place! I had surgery almost 5 months ago and the last 2months it has been falling out.

I do have new growth, so that is a good thing.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 AM

466 posts, read 581,134 times
Default Hair has changed

Quote:
Thank you but I don't think it will because I will take the chemo once a week most likely for the rest of my life.
Now I am battling with it all falling out all over the place! I had surgery almost 5 months ago and the last 2months it has been falling out.
I do have new growth, so that is a good thing.
Hello Pikantari
Now you are through surgery but battling hair loss and facing chemo for the foreseeable future have you been given a list of the vitamins/food you should be taking/eating i.e. protein, fruit & veg so you can help build up your immune system and help your hair regrowth and your general wellbeing? See what your doc says, just a thought. Please message me anytime. Take care.
Lin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care