Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 AM

466 posts, read 576,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Congrats on taking the plunge. All of the whitening agents have a drying effect, so don't use them too often. I use a light oil on my hair, like Neutrogena body oil or an almond oil. Oil brightens the silver streaks of hair and calms the curl.
Did not know that whitening agents have a drying effect, thanks for this info ElizaTeal. I use argan oil, a leave in treatment which is part of my Pro Naturals hair repair system. It does make the white really shiny but best of all it protects my hair because I heat style on average every 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 AM

301 posts, read 816,828 times
I use Clairol Shimmer Lights & love it! It's reasonably priced and I get it at my local Sally's Beauty. I follow the age-old suggestions of only using it 1-2 times per week and let the shampoo sit on my hair for 5 mins. before rinsing. I'm on well water with a high rust factor that we treat for and my gray is never yellow or dingy. I do keep it in a short pixie type cut so that may help.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:49 AM

301 posts, read 816,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
This stuff is amazing, they have it for blond hair too, and it made my hair so shiny and healthy.

</title></head><body></body></html><!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing, Normal/Dry Hair | drugstore.com

I also love this stuff! Be sure and get the one for silver/blonde hair (it's in a gray box) and use it sparingly - believe me, a little goes a very long way! Just wish they could do something about the fragrance. It's not bad, but not great either - lol!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:33 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I also love this stuff! Be sure and get the one for silver/blonde hair (it's in a gray box) and use it sparingly - believe me, a little goes a very long way! Just wish they could do something about the fragrance. It's not bad, but not great either - lol!
Alberto V05, the original hair grease. *LOL*

Invented by a Hollywood hairstylist to cope with the dried and fried bleach blondes whose hair was abused on two fronts; chemicals and the harsh/hot lighting used when filming. Actresses also had problems because often their hair was dyed to suit each role. You could be a red head while shooting one film but a blonde in another, all in the space of a few months. In between you might get your hair dyed back to its original color (or close enough).

IIRC the stuff then and now is mostly Vaseline/petroleum jelly and mineral oil. Not far removed from similar products used by African-American women (and some men) to cope with the same hair problems but from slightly different sources ; chemical relaxers and hot combs/marcel irons. Stuff like Dixie-Peach come to mind.

Beauty of petroleum jelly and or mineral oil is in the days before silicones the stuff will smooth down dried crispy hair, give it a bit of shine and some what of a smoother and or conditioned feel.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
Most of the shampoos have a blue tint. Or you can make your own by adding a couple drops of blueing into your shampoo or conditioner, or in your rinse water.

My dog show friends with white dogs have been using bluing for many years to get the white coat looking as white as possible, without the dingy yellow.

Use Mrs Stewart’s Bluing to achieve whiter white hair and whiter pet hair

bluing is an old timey laundry product that can still be found in the laundry isle at some stores. It was added to white laundry to make it appear whiter. it's not a bleach. The blue color tones down the yellow.

Where to find blueing shampoo for brassy orange hair and names for blueing shampoos

How to Make your Own Bluing Shampoo thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care