U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM

18,434 posts, read 31,981,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh yea, I'll never be socially distinct! lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,550,843 times
As usual I'm the odd one out.

Pik, you aren't even 40 yet, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that grey hair is ageing.

I started going grey at 18 and there was no way I would accept it at that age, nor 30 years later. 50 is the new 30, after all.

I was born with very dark hair and most of it still is very dark, like yours. I merely do my own roots about once a month and that's that. I get a full colour every year or so just to ensure it's even but just oing the roots is enough to keep the grey away completely.

I notice I have one side of my head greyer than the other, too. I'm too scared to grow it out as I'll end up looking like a lop sided skunk lol.

Also, I am quite fair, and as you age you tend to "fade", eg lose colour in your face and your features. Grey hair adds to that draining effect, you look tired even if you aren't.

When the time comes, I will just start getting streaks professionally done to blend it in gradually. I love grey or white hair if you're over 60 like Helen Mirren, but on anyone younger it just looks unkempt and unflattering.

Sorry y'all...I'm sure you all look really awesome but it's just not for me, and I think Pik is far too young too.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

43,100 posts, read 53,711,188 times
I agree, and support you, OP, to go au naturale. I'm in my mid 60's and can't wait to have a lot of gray hair. Until then, I get it foiled blond to blend in the gray and use a blue conditioner to silver everything up.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Well, I have had a few strands since I was 15, so that is not aging, it is genetics.

A huge part of it, here lately, is the chemotherapy I take part in weekly. It changes the color, the texture, the everything about my hair....

I don't think I look terribly old or drained out, but that is only my opinion.

Most of the time it looks like a streak, and i actually think it looks pretty, so for now I will keep it.

Every once in a while I will color it if I am looking or feeling terribly older.... Maybe once a year or so, but I don't know about that anymore.

My sister is 53 and she is completely grey, as my mother was. I remember my mom being grey when I was a little girl. I saw pictures of her when I was a baby and her hair was very dark, like mine. All I ever remember is her hair looking grey. She was 38 when she had me, my father was 52. He had black hair. My mom had little to no hair when she passed due to the chemotherapy she had been taking but her hair changed as well. My father may have had 5 grey hairs when he passed at the age of 73.....

It is just in my genetics. My brother is grey as well....

I don't think I look like a terribly old hag....yet. lolol
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
As usual I'm the odd one out.

Pik, you aren't even 40 yet, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that grey hair is ageing.

I started going grey at 18 and there was no way I would accept it at that age, nor 30 years later. 50 is the new 30, after all.

I was born with very dark hair and most of it still is very dark, like yours. I merely do my own roots about once a month and that's that. I get a full colour every year or so just to ensure it's even but just oing the roots is enough to keep the grey away completely.

I notice I have one side of my head greyer than the other, too. I'm too scared to grow it out as I'll end up looking like a lop sided skunk lol.

Also, I am quite fair, and as you age you tend to "fade", eg lose colour in your face and your features. Grey hair adds to that draining effect, you look tired even if you aren't.

When the time comes, I will just start getting streaks professionally done to blend it in gradually. I love grey or white hair if you're over 60 like Helen Mirren, but on anyone younger it just looks unkempt and unflattering.

Sorry y'all...I'm sure you all look really awesome but it's just not for me, and I think Pik is far too young too.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,142,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hello cders. I have posted about the changes in my hair as far as the texture and color, etc. I used to have a thin streak of silver I guess you would call it, and it wasn't so bad. I would color it then let it grow out, then color it once it made me start feeling 'old'.....

My SO doesn't mind it at all... he tells me it just makes me who I am... ( )

It seems to be getting more grey and I actually think those are the new growth hairs coming in. My hair falls out quite a bit from a chemo I have to take weekly but the good thing is that it does come back. I have many lengths of "new growth." It seems to come back in cycles.

When it does.....for the most part, it comes back silver.

I am adding my picture so you can tell me if it is terrible or not. I really don't care if it does not lend a youthful appearance, etc, I don't think I look terribly old, and I am almost 40, so its no big deal. I just want to know if it presents badly or not.

Thanks!
Honestly I can't really see the grey and it looks like some sparkles in the hair. My hair is going grey and I know very soon I am going to have to color it.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Honestly I can't really see the grey and it looks like some sparkles in the hair. My hair is going grey and I know very soon I am going to have to color it.
Well, it is kind of sparkly! It is up at the top of my hair.

My nieces daughter when she was about 6 or so, used to ask me why I had metallic highlights......heehee

Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,069,004 times
I don't think it looks bad at all. In fact, it might be even prettier if you get more gray all over. Then it will look like it's frosted without going to all that expense!

I myself have been paying a lot of money to maintain my hair, and soon I will no longer be able to afford going as often or paying as much. I'm seriously thinking of getting my hair dyed to a shade closer to my natural color and then letting the color grow out as it will. I'm kind of curious as to if it will be gray, silver or not much of either.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I don't think it looks bad at all. In fact, it might be even prettier if you get more gray all over. Then it will look like it's frosted without going to all that expense!

I myself have been paying a lot of money to maintain my hair, and soon I will no longer be able to afford going as often or paying as much. I'm seriously thinking of getting my hair dyed to a shade closer to my natural color and then letting the color grow out as it will. I'm kind of curious as to if it will be gray, silver or not much of either.
Thanks. I'm going back to college next month with all the young people...... will see what happens!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care