Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,089 times

Advertisements

If you're like me you're probably used to hearing "WOW! You have really thick hair" every time you go to the salon (or if you're really like me you reply with "Thanks! I grew it myself")

Anywho, I recently had my hair colored at a new salon and noticed that they hiked up the stated price because I have a lot of hair to color. Don't get me wrong- I realize that more hair means needing more product to color with. But I'm just curious what ya'll think is too much to overcharge?

My usual salon charges about $10 more during a routine full-highlights; however this new salon charged me $20 more for the same highlights. Does it really depend of what products/brands of color were used? How much do you feel is too much to hike up the price?

Also, do salons charge less for people with thin hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post

lol, you beat me to the punch! I've always had thin hair. Maybe I should be demanding a discount...

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,061 times
I myself have fine hair and I wonder if I should be charged less. However, my daughter has thick hair and I've been told that it would cost a little extra. The reasons given to me were: its time consuming, it requires more attention, and longer hair takes more time. I've never heard of anyone charging more for color. If your hair really does require additional coloring because its so thick, I don't believe they should have charged you double. Maybe just a $5 dollar increase.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Yes, I've been charged more for color for length and thickness. I don't recall the specifics except that for a cut, I get charged $20 more. The thing that gets me is that I have a simple long style. For cuts, I'm in and out in under an hour (that would be wash, cut, and blowdry). When I had a shorter, more layered cut, I was there for over an hour and paid less. I think they should just pick a price in the middle and be done with it.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
The last place I had my hair colored, they charged an extra 60 for the length. I know that the product and time it took did not come up to 120 dollars. That was the last time I went there.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I have very thick hair (that's short). I haven't been charged more for a cut, but many times I'm charged more for a color and nearly every time I have ever had it straightened I've been charged more.

I don't like it, but what can I do about it? LOL

Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
I've also got fairly thick hair. The salon I go to has prices for coloring listed as $baseprice and up, so it's dependent on how much coloring they have to mix up for your hair plus the labor/time. (And obviously, single process is cheaper than a fabulous job with highlights and lowlights).

I'm not charged double - I'm charged about 15-20% more, which seems reasonable.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
I have fine hair but plenty of it. It's not long, but it does require extra time to cut and color. I'm not sure how much extra I may be charged, but I do know that when I get highlights, some hairdressers charge per foil they use.

I seriously doubt if people with thin hair get a discount, but you make a good point!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
If you're like me you're probably used to hearing "WOW! You have really thick hair" every time you go to the salon (or if you're really like me you reply with "Thanks! I grew it myself")

Anywho, I recently had my hair colored at a new salon and noticed that they hiked up the stated price because I have a lot of hair to color. Don't get me wrong- I realize that more hair means needing more product to color with. But I'm just curious what ya'll think is too much to overcharge?

My usual salon charges about $10 more during a routine full-highlights; however this new salon charged me $20 more for the same highlights. Does it really depend of what products/brands of color were used? How much do you feel is too much to hike up the price?

do restaurants charge less if you don't eat all your food?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
do restaurants charge less if you don't eat all your food?
No, but then again they have set prices... the majority of salons don't.

I never know how much a haircut + color is going to charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care