Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times

Advertisements

Okay, the time has come for me to try this forum for hopeful information.

Has anyone used Rogain for Women to treat natural genetic/hormonal hair loss?

Almost purchased a box but decided to read it first, and am glad I did. The box states that the product works only for general thinning on top of the head, that it won't work on the hairline or "patches". (This bit of info is NOT mentioned in their website at all.) My biggest concern is in the top-back of my head, similar to the men's pattern.

Can't do estrogen therapy because of my cardiac history, and my thyroid is normal. Stress may have a lot to do with it, but I think most is truly hormonal. Hair replacement procedures average $5000 ~ money that should be spent on other necessities.

But I damn sure don't want to end up nearly bald like my mother did.

Funny, there's a product out there to "grow" eyelashes. But, boy, I sure don't know about this Rogain with it's limited capabilities. I did email the Rogain company but ~ unsurprisingly ~ never received a response. Am beginning to really wonder about them.

Has anyone out there used the product? Please let me know your experience with it.

Thank you, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,569 times
Hey,

Im on here trying to get info on results for women who have been on it for a while, so i could compare it with my own results. So i was skeptical but i thought what more have i got to lose besides more hair so i bought some. i got the equate walmart brand $28 for 3 months supply. i squeeze the dose on my scalp 2x a day at the most (2% minoxil) i started back in dec 2011 and its now going on april 2012. its been 4 months and i just ran out of my 3 month supply, ill admit there were days i only did it once. i do notice some results though. they said it would take up to 4 months to start to notice and i started to notice about a month ago. ive experienced none of the possible side effects they list. i cant believe it that its working on me. i used to always get the worst case scenerio on results for other stuff so i was not getting my hopes up on this. i just wish i knew what my hair potential was. if it keeps going i may be normal one day and ive been going through this for years now (hair loss/thinning) since i was like 17 and im 35. one thing i did notice was the regrowth has some white or grey hairs in it, moreso than before and its definately got some wave to it. i dont care, hair is hair to me and i want all of it! lol if you do it, let me know, we can be regrow buddies and report our concerns and results. lucky for you im at the point already so i can tell you what to expect based on my own growth. i hope for the best for you.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
The thing you need to know about Rogaine, and even, Latisse.....if you stop, hair or lashes go right back to the way they used to be.... so once you start, you have to keep doing it, or lose the gains you've made!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,668,064 times
That stuff is really toxic to cats (lethal). I wouldn't bring it into a home where there was a cat. They love to go after tub water.

Even worse than that hair falling if your don't keep using it is that : it can make the problem WORSE from using it at all.
I was like..waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah when I saw that researching the men's version. Any guy I told that they made the most hilarious "oh hell no" faces. LOL

Women are generally more daring: "well well see...."

Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM

541 posts, read 857,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Even worse than that hair falling if your don't keep using it is that : it can make the problem WORSE from using it at all. "
Wrong. That's a myth. People who complain that using Rogaine made their baldness worse don't seem to realize as time passes the baldness would have increased anyway. They didn't notice that their baldness was increasing because they were using the Rogaine.

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-30-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Wrong. That's a myth. People who complain that using Rogaine made their baldness worse don't seem to realize as time passes the baldness would have increased anyway. They didn't notice that their baldness was increasing because they were using the Rogaine.

No it actually triggers it.

Minoxidil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Paradoxically, hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment.[14] Manufacturers note that minoxidil-induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as "shedding". Although this phenomenon demonstrates that minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth."

Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,939,993 times
Sigh. Well that's that then, as far as experimenting with Rogaine goes for me.

In the past year I have lost more than half the hair on my head. Fortunately, I had way too much hair to begin with (and thick strands)......the kind that used to break hair brushes and wouldn't all fit inside a ball cap...so even though I've lost so much, it still looks normal (especially because it's also wavy and frizzy, which adds to the illusion of volume). When I mention it to people, including my doctor, they tell me to stop being a drama queen and a hypochondriac. But I know that I've lost a lot of hair. I have ponytail holders that I used to be able to get around my hair only twice. Now, I can get those same ponytail holders to go around four times...and they're still loose. There is hair all over the carpets in my house, kitchen/bathroom floor, the floor around my desk at work, and my car seats. Every time I take a shower, a scary amount of strands fall out. The hair loss is to a point now where I have to be careful how I part/tie/braid/clip it because then you can see big bare patches of my scalp. I don't have any bald spots...it's diffuse hair loss all over, but when you put sections of it up, it looks like I have bald spots.

Ugh. I don't understand why this is happening to me. It's not genetic. I eat enough (believe me). But just in case, I'm now taking prenatal vitamins. I do have issues with depression and stress, but I always have. I don't think it's thyroidal or hormonal either. At least, my blood works always comes back in the normal range (it's always borderline this or that, but not enough to officially diagnose or dose me with anything).

To top it all off, at 34 years-old, I am also now starting to get white hair...yeah, and of course THOSE don't fall out .

Now all I need is to lose some of my teeth, develop a humped back and maybe grow a hairy mole on my chin. That should complete my new look of decrepitude.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Sigh. Well that's that then, as far as experimenting with Rogaine goes for me.

In the past year I have lost more than half the hair on my head. Fortunately, I had way too much hair to begin with (and thick strands)......the kind that used to break hair brushes and wouldn't all fit inside a ball cap...so even though I've lost so much, it still looks normal (especially because it's also wavy and frizzy, which adds to the illusion of volume). When I mention it to people, including my doctor, they tell me to stop being a drama queen and a hypochondriac. But I know that I've lost a lot of hair. I have ponytail holders that I used to be able to get around my hair only twice. Now, I can get those same ponytail holders to go around four times...and they're still loose. There is hair all over the carpets in my house, kitchen/bathroom floor, the floor around my desk at work, and my car seats. Every time I take a shower, a scary amount of strands fall out. The hair loss is to a point now where I have to be careful how I part/tie/braid/clip it because then you can see big bare patches of my scalp. I don't have any bald spots...it's diffuse hair loss all over, but when you put sections of it up, it looks like I have bald spots.

Ugh. I don't understand why this is happening to me. It's not genetic. I eat enough (believe me). But just in case, I'm now taking prenatal vitamins. I do have issues with depression and stress, but I always have. I don't think it's thyroidal or hormonal either. At least, my blood works always comes back in the normal range (it's always borderline this or that, but not enough to officially diagnose or dose me with anything).

To top it all off, at 34 years-old, I am also now starting to get white hair...yeah, and of course THOSE don't fall out .

Now all I need is to lose some of my teeth, develop a humped back and maybe grow a hairy mole on my chin. That should complete my new look of decrepitude.
LOL..oh that last sentence....SHHHH!

You shouldn't take pre-natals because its not made for a normal womans blood volume. The level of iron can build up in your system and damage your liver. They make vitamins specifically designed for hair. I like the country life hair and nail formula. I took those for awhile to combat a stress fall out. I didn't stay on them as diet and time fixed it eventually.

Are you on any medications? Check the side effects for hair change. I also would go to a different doctor and maybe a dermatologist to check out your scalp. Hair loss can be a normal part of aging in the 30's

Do you dye your hair or have you in the past?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,939,993 times
Quote:
LOL..oh that last sentence....SHHHH!

You shouldn't take pre-natals because its not made for a normal womans blood volume. The level of iron can build up in your system and damage your liver. They make vitamins specifically designed for hair. I like the country life hair and nail formula. I took those for awhile to combat a stress fall out. I didn't stay on them as diet and time fixed it eventually.

Are you on any medications? Check the side effects for hair change. I also would go to a different doctor and maybe a dermatologist to check out your scalp. Hair loss can be a normal part of aging in the 30's

Do you dye your hair or have you in the past?

The last time I dyed my hair was in high school (a truly heinous aubergine color...I don't know what I was thinking...it was the 90s and I think I was trying to be goth).

The number of times I've gotten a perm (curly or straight) I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over (and all that was years and years ago as well).

I don't even blow dry my hair. And I use curling/straightening irons so infrequently I can tell you the exact date of the last time I used one: July 16, 2011 (I had to look fancy for a wedding).

Not on any medications. Well, except for the prenatals. OMG. I didn't know about the iron and the liver damage. THANK YOU for that info . I will look around for these hair vitamins.

Maybe there is a patron saint of hair I can pray to.

ETA: Sorry Bluesmama, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 04-03-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM

541 posts, read 857,829 times
Quote:
No it actually triggers it.

Minoxidil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Paradoxically, hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment.[14] Manufacturers note that minoxidil-induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as "shedding". Although this phenomenon demonstrates that minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth."
Whoever wrote that Wiki didn't read their own footnotes. If you go to the #14 footnote, which is a link to the FAQ for Rogaine, there is nothing that directly says that hair loss is a common side effect (I also notice they didn't include any footnotes for the rest of their commentary. So did they make this up?). What it does say is:
"I just started using ROGAINE® and I've noticed that my hair loss has increased. Is this typical?
ROGAINE® stimulates hair follicles to shift from the resting phase to the growth phase. Thus, it is not uncommon to see a temporary increase in shedding during the first 2 weeks using ROGAINE®. This occurs in some people as the new hair pushes out the older hairs, when the hair follicle shifts into the growth phase. It is very much like losing baby teeth to make room for adult teeth. This increase in shedding is only temporary and should subside within a couple of weeks with continued treatment. Please note, however, if increased shedding continues for longer than 2 weeks, you should consult your doctor to rule out other possible medical problems."

Wikipedia is not fact checked and has been known to be full of many mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care