Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

I have used this: ColorMark - it is a liquid applied with a foam-tip applicator - they also make this is a marker version: TouchBack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default Can you PLEASE share more about Root Erase??? ANd home hair coloring??

I tried the mascara looking color devices and wasn't crazy about them. Once I dropped the applicator and the whole thing spilled out before I could pick it up.

I read the reviews for Root Erase and it looks great. Do you use it with your own home hair coloring? I'm considering trying to go to home coloring to save money but am scared of the unknown. I am normally a medium brunette and I go blonde, kinda light; think Cameron Diaz blonde.

Any suggestions on brands to consider for home coloring??
Thanks for any input!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I have used the Roux stick also. Only on the narrowest margin of roots though because on my hair it feels tacky if I try to use it on what is approaching a strip of roots. I thought drugstore.com had it but either I was wrong or they no longer carry it. So, as you said, Sally is it. And where I live, Sally seems to be in the worst plaza locations.

For actual root coloring I use the Revlon product which I think is Root Erase. For the last few minutes I run it through the length of my hair and get what looks like subtle highlights. Of the root color kits it is by far my favorite.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
I began going gray around the age of twenty, so I've been coloring my hair a LONG time. It grows quickly, and by this point I have a lot of bright silver at my temples and hairline that show even earlier than the roots along my part! By a week or two after coloring my roots (I don't do all the way from root to tip except every third or fourth application) they'll show up silver again around my face. And yes, I'm covering them thoroughly when I color. I also use Grey Magic, an additive available at Sally to put in your normal coloring bottle with whatever color you use. It does help.

I simply go ahead and apply a small touch-up of color to the bright roots if they're bothering me. On occasions when I don't have time to do that before some event (like it's Wednesday and I won't have free time until Saturday) I've used Physician's Formula felt-tip eyeliner to cover them. I happened to have one in brown lying around -- it hadn't been dark enough for my liking as an eyeliner -- and tried it for this purpose. Worked like a charm, without rubbing off onto my pillowcase that night when I went to bed.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
Skatergirl,

Yes, I thought Root Erase was the best, along with Revlon's previous version. I can't recall the name now; the applicator was a little different and I think the package included the small conditioner envelope. Anyway, I can no longer find Root Erase anywhere. Once it was pretty plentiful and often on sale at CVS. I had also ordered it from drugstore.com but they have been "temporarily" out of stock for a long time now.

I don't know anything about coloring hair light. For roots, my main concern has been keeping them a rich, but not black-brown as the roots want to pull red.

Kineticity,

That is a good suggestion. I saw an ad last night for a felt tip liner and I wondered if it would work on roots. I'm guessing it would have to be waterproof.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I tried the mascara looking color devices and wasn't crazy about them. Once I dropped the applicator and the whole thing spilled out before I could pick it up.

I read the reviews for Root Erase and it looks great. Do you use it with your own home hair coloring? I'm considering trying to go to home coloring to save money but am scared of the unknown. I am normally a medium brunette and I go blonde, kinda light; think Cameron Diaz blonde.

Any suggestions on brands to consider for home coloring??
Thanks for any input!!
I'm imagining that to go from a medium brown to light blond you must be having a double process coloring done at the salon... If so, you'd have to do the same thing at home and that can be a bit of a pain... If you have a Sally's near you, try it, they can recommend products there that will suit your needs, such as an oil-based lightener which is the one to be used near the scalp. Then you'll need a toner, which is a gentler, low-pigment tint for bleached hair.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was going to start a thread about grey hair too.

I'm only in my late 30s but I have them...all along my hairline, which is the worst place since it's right in the front for all to see. I've been dying it, usually myself with the drugstore brand, but every once in a while, I'll go to my salon.

My skin is sensitive, so the sye irritates my skin at my hairline & makes is scab, so it looks like horrible dandruff.

My other problem is what y our thread's about. My hair grow3s so fast, that the grey starts whoing up fast!

I can't keep dying it too often or it will irritate my skin. The Rita Hazan Temporary Root Touch-Up spray is good. Google it to find the cheapest price. Colormark is also good when you want to get more precise with small/fine hairs.

What I HATE is the wiry texture that grey hair takes on! If you have short hair around the hairline, it sticks up, rather than lays down smoothly!
I'm aware this is not recent but just in case you still have the problem OR someone else reading this does, the solution is very simple: Sweet-n-Low (or any off-brand similar saccharine sweetener). I used to get an additive at Sally's but when I learned about this I made the switch because I already had it at home, and it works just as well, no more itching or flakes!

As for camouflaging roots, I've tried the sticks but there isn't one that really matches my present hair tone so I use Roux temporary coloring in a small spray bottle in a darker shade than my hair, and if necessary "tweak" it with food coloring (i.e., adding the tiniest amount of blue to make the shade ash...) or mixing with another one. I also use another product that has a creamy consistency so I apply it with a highligh brush, but I got it in another country and it's not available online that I know of.

A trick I learned to make hair coloring penetrate better on resistant hair is to rub some of the coloring, NOT mixed with developer, on the most resistant areas such as the hairline, at least 30 min. before applying the color, you don't have to rinse off, just apply the mixture right on top. But what I've always done is to choose one shade darker for my roots and leave the lighter one for when I need to retouch my length.

Oh, and something very important! There has to be some scalp oil on those roots if you expect the color to "grab"! Very often people are overzealous with the cleansing and will wash their hair the day before a color, so when it's freshly done it looks right but as soon as you wash the hair again most of the color washes right out. So if possible, WAIT at least a couple of days, especially during winter when dryness is more likely to occur. And if you just need to remove the crayons/temporary coloring, rub a little jojoba oil on your scalp the night before to give it time to be absorbed (jojoba oil is very similar to our natural "sebum"), but an alternative to that would be to just wipe out the temp coloring using a bit of conditioner that contains some kind of oil on a cotton ball before coloring.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM

417 posts, read 455,535 times
I have been using Clairol Root Touch up for several years. I have dark hair and the grey REALLY contrasts with the darker hair. I was needing to go to the salon every 3 to 4 weeks. (well as I say, I needed to but didn't go so often so my roots were really obvious and not very lovely).
I find Root Touch up is pretty easy to use, and I feel that even if I don't do a great job, it is way improved. I use it probably more like every 2 to 3 weeks, which at $5 or $6 is wonderful compared to the salon. I used to use it a few times and then maybe every 2 or 3 months go to the salon for a thorough coloring. That is probably what I should continue to do , but I hardly go to the salon at all due to the price.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 PM

489 posts, read 1,325,043 times
I recently tried a root touch up kit from the drugstore and thought it worked pretty good. I have blonde highlights and can't get my roots as light as the length, but luckily the ombre look is in so it's not uncommon to have roots that are a little darker. I'm planning to alternate this between salon visits to help cut costs. Also, for years I've used eyebrow pencils to quickly color in the most obvious gray roots.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:53 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I use the root touch up (Clairol Root touch Up) - I have very dark hair. I also started to use it in between salon visits but have decided that it works good enough so I only go to the salon for cuts which is not as often as it should be. I was impressed because when I have gone to the salon, on a few different occasions I expected them to make a negative comment either about my coloring application skills or the poor inferior product-----but to my surprise they commented that it worked pretty fine.
Of course, they do a superior job but for the $$$ I am happy to do it myself most of the time.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I'm aware this is not recent but just in case you still have the problem OR someone else reading this does, the solution is very simple: Sweet-n-Low (or any off-brand similar saccharine sweetener). I used to get an additive at Sally's but when I learned about this I made the switch because I already had it at home, and it works just as well, no more itching or flakes!
Would you mind explaining how to use the saccharine sweetner, please? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care