Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

I have been wearing my hair in a short pixie for about 3 years now. I have had it short many, many times in the past, so I've figured out what I like and what I don't like. And I ALWAYS bring a picture, sometimes several pictures.

(Sorry this is long, but I'm getting very frustrated! I also want to point out that I am very friendly to my hairstylists and I tip well. I don't come in all bossy - do this! do that!)

When I first went back to the pixie I went to a higher end salon where I knew someone. She did a really good job - not perfect, but pretty close - but for the money I was paying I really needed it to be perfect, plus there were services that I was not receiving that I consider pretty basic (no brushdown to get rid of stray hairs, no towel after washing my hair, etc).

So I went to someone else who was still pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. But after the third visit or so (I would get it trimmed every 5-6 weeks - it was a very short pixie) I would say something like "I want the bangs shorter this time, and more piecey." Or "I want to let the sideburns grow some more, so don't cut them." And I would get ignored.

I have actually cut my own bangs now several times because I can't seem to get what I'm asking for.

I tried someone new a few days ago because he came highly recommended from a friend who also wears a pixie, though her hair texture is very different from mine.

So I go to my appointment, picture in hand. I explain to him what I like, where I like it shorter, where I like it longer. I *specifically* said "I want to keep the sideburns long and I want to keep the length on my neck." I had been growing my hair out a bit so I would specifically have and be able to keep this length. He's agreeing, nodding his head, talking about this technique or that, so I'm thinking - Finally! Yay!

What I wanted was something like this: http://www.the-fashion-street.com/ga...or_women_3.jpg
(This isn't the exact picture that I brought it, I just found this one.)

What I ended up with was this: http://www.hairxstatic.com/styles/im...cropbru141.jpg

All my length gone!

I like my hair very simple. It has the right texture for a short cut, and it works for me. I put in a tiny bit of product, muss it up, and I'm done. I am NOT asking for the moon!

Is there something I am missing? Is there some magic word I am not saying that is hairstylist code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
I've worn my hair really long, really short and everything in between over the years.

My experience is that it takes A LOT more skill to cut s good short hair cut than a long one. There seem to be a really fine line when cutting a short haircut between "fresh and modern looking" and "mom/matron cut"

The other thing I've noticed it that when my hair is short and the cut is good - it requires little styling ,not a lot of product, and makes me look younger.

If it's a bad cut - I end up fussing with it too much or using too much product which seems to lead to it looking to fixed and makes me look older.

For piecey-ness (not a word , I know) - I've had good luck with a tiny bit of Aveda Control Paste.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
You aren't alone in your frustration when it comes to stylists not listening to what you want. I've had my hair cut by a so-called master stylist, and on the opposite end of the spectrum by someone in one of the 'chop shops'. Neither person paid one bit of attention to what I told them, they just started chatting away and I ended up with cuts that were nothing like what I requested.

I have even stopped them midstream and reminded them of what I asked for - didn't phase them one bit.

And I have been to stylists who at first did an outstanding job, but after a few visits their skills started slipping. Makes one wonder if they do their best when you first start going to them to get you to make another appointment, and then when they feel you'll continue coming back they could care less how your hair turns out.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Exactly! You would think the loss of a potentially long term client + maybe a bad reputation would be a concern to some of these stylists, but I guess not! I have no problem paying a decent amount of money + tips, but not if I'm getting exactly what I want AND if I'm going to be there every 5-6 weeks.

I found something called a Tinkle hair trimmer that I'm thinking about getting to trim myself until I get my length back, and then I'll try again. Just so frustrating....

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
My rules: I never chat with the stylist; I want their total concentration. I always act nervous and untrusting; this keeps them on their game. I frequently interrupt them to ask exactly what they are going to do next; this lets them know I am really paying attention to every cut they make. And I never let them get away with saying, "Oh, the same thing again?" because they usually don't remember the last cut anyway.

Still, not a perfect system, but helpful.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Exactly! You would think the loss of a potentially long term client + maybe a bad reputation would be a concern to some of these stylists, but I guess not! I have no problem paying a decent amount of money + tips, but not if I'm getting exactly what I want AND if I'm going to be there every 5-6 weeks.

I found something called a Tinkle hair trimmer that I'm thinking about getting to trim myself until I get my length back, and then I'll try again. Just so frustrating....
Maybe you should consider learning to cut your own hair, either with the Tinkle trimmer or with scissors. I've been cutting my own for years, because I'm cheap, don't want to deal with stylists, and if I want a haircut at 6 am on Sunday, I can have it.

My hair is thick and wavy, and I cut it in a longer version of the style that you wanted (but didn't get).

Old 12-21-2013, 02:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I actually just let them do their job. They are professionals, and know hair, and my shape of face, they work with hair, I just sit there, and let them do what they want.

And magically, my hair always looks great! I don't expect them to brush hair off my clothes, I can do that myself. Maybe I am just lucky...or, not a perfectionist.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Maybe you should consider learning to cut your own hair, either with the Tinkle trimmer or with scissors. I've been cutting my own for years, because I'm cheap, don't want to deal with stylists, and if I want a haircut at 6 am on Sunday, I can have it.

My hair is thick and wavy, and I cut it in a longer version of the style that you wanted (but didn't get).
You are lucky your hair is thick and wavy, there is more room for error and to disguise mistakes. My hair is fine and very thin, so any wrong move I make would be very apparent.

If I could just buzz cut it and get away with it, I would.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 PM

And I'm not going to apologize for wanting my hair to look good and professionally done. Hairstylists are paid professionals who go to school to learn their skill. I also wouldn't put up with a "mostly perfect" job from an auto mechanic, house painter, plumber, carpenter, or seamstress.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You are lucky your hair is thick and wavy, there is more room for error and to disguise mistakes. My hair is fine and very thin, so any wrong move I make would be very apparent.

If I could just buzz cut it and get away with it, I would.

Who says you can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care