Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 11:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

I went to try and get a hair trim yesterday . I had really long hair down past my shoulders . No one where
I live would trim it for under 50 .00 ....I could not believe this so I came home and trimmed it myself , yes I have done this before when I did not have time to go get it trimmed . So Im jumping up and down knowing Im leaving this area in ten months !!! I just cant believe we don't have any decent hair dressers around here or should I say any one who can trim for under an arm and a leg ....Have any of you ladies run into this type of thing in your area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:47 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
They should!

My hair has always been long, and I have gotten that extra "long hair" charge. Its a racket! It is just another thing businesses are using to make more money.

I don't think it is any harder to work with or cut longer hair. I can understand when it comes to chemicals and they may have to use twice as much, that is a different story. But a cut? Or even just a trim??? It is nuts.

I got about 8 inches of my hair cut off back in May I think, and it lays just beneath my shoulders. Betcha five bucks I will still get the long hair charge!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
I went to a salon once and asked them to trim my bangs. They told me they couldnt because theyd just grow back.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Yeah, I agree with the long hair charge. My hair is bra-strap length and it now takes less time to get a wash/cut/dry than it did when my hair was short (chin-length). I still get the long hair charge. I've also been charged a "thick hair" charge, too. I only go to the salon a few times a year and color my hair at home. Much cheaper and I'm much happier with my color.

I suspect they charge a long hair charge because they know they are going to see you less than if you have short hair. If you have short hair, you usually have to stick to that 6 week schedule, even if you're growing your hair out, just to have it evened out/cleaned up.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:07 PM

I agree, bande. When I had short and layered hair, the stylist had to do much more than when I have long hair.

I have stopped coloring my hair and am rocking a grey streak, and that's ok, lol. My hair is much shorter but I know I am gonna get that charge.... makes no sense in the world.

OP, I am wondering if you couldn't find a barber shop to find a trim. Years ago, I used to get my hair trimmed at a barber shop and he did a great job, there was no upcharge, and he was very nice!

Anymore, the barber shops are full of women barbers. My fiances barber cuts womens hair all the time! Sit in a barbers shop and watch. Some men have longer hair and the way they have to cut their hair is no different than what they would do at a salon.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Yeah, I agree with the long hair charge. My hair is bra-strap length and it now takes less time to get a wash/cut/dry than it did when my hair was short (chin-length). I still get the long hair charge. I've also been charged a "thick hair" charge, too. I only go to the salon a few times a year and color my hair at home. Much cheaper and I'm much happier with my color.

I suspect they charge a long hair charge because they know they are going to see you less than if you have short hair. If you have short hair, you usually have to stick to that 6 week schedule, even if you're growing your hair out, just to have it evened out/cleaned up.
Thats just crap. To me thats like my doctor/ins company charging me my entire deductible for one visit because they know thats the only time i'll go to the doctor that year.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I've never been charged a long hair charge for a cut (coloring/highlighting processes, yes, which stands to reason). I also go to a salon that does complimentary bang trims in between cuts.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've never been charged a long hair charge for a cut (coloring/highlighting processes, yes, which stands to reason). I also go to a salon that does complimentary bang trims in between cuts.
You are one of the lucky ones, then! I think I have been dealing with this long hair charge for about 7 years or so now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care