Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I have crazy, wild curls that I never wear. Ever. It is just too unmanageable. I'm bi-racial (half white/half black) and go to the Dominican shop near my apartment for weekly blowouts. Really not that bad though- $25 a pop + tip of course.

Do any of you have some type of relaxer that you use which make it easier for you to get your hair wet without worrying when your next hair appointment is?? I'm going to Miami for Labor Day Weekend and I know my girls and I are going to want to go to the pool, beach, ride jet skis, swimming with dolphins, etc. So much water activities. Sometimes I don't even bother because getting my hair done is such a hassle.

Any relaxer recommendations? I've always been worried to use the products because I don't want it to damage my hair.
Hey, you're in NYC?? Have you ever been to Devachan Salon there? I'll be up in a couple weeks to get my hair cut for the first time in a loooong while! I haven't had it cut properly since I stopped relaxing it in 2007. I know you said you hate your hair, but it's a combo of the right cut and right products; I SWEAR!! I have a feeling your curls have major potential, but you just have no direction on how to bring them into submission.

I'm getting my hair cut by Anna, who is from Brazil with a head full of curls. In fact, half the stylists in the salon have curly hair!! You should PM me so we can exchange numbers, and maybe you can meet me up at the salon just to check things out and get some advice from Anna about your hair struggles. She's like a sculpture artist when it comes to hair, and understands curly hair inside AND out! She's so knowledgable! (The salon is downtown off Broadway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Aaawwwww Mneca, I'm so sorry you feel this way about your hair. I too, took some time to embrace my curls. I stopped straightening my hair in 2007, and struggle off and on making peace with my curls. I just recently accepted my natural hair for what it is, but still have "bad hair days" from time to time.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your have type? Is it thin or thick? And if you didn't keep it short, does naturally grow long? I hope you know that very few curlies have even texture and curl pattern; if they do, it's rare, so you're not the only one on that. I'm also wondering what products you've tried, and have you had a string of bad experiences with stylists? Is that why you feel there is no one that can "fix" your curl issues?
I have had some great "curly hair" stylists and tried just about every product every created. I just don't like the way it looks. It looks sloppy, not sleek and professional. And even if it looks good when I leave the house, all it takes is a good wind or some rain (or maybe trying on clothing or wear a hat) to turn it into a total disaster. What's more, in order for it to look good curly (if such a thing were possible) I'd have to wash it in the morning, which I don't have time for. I like blowing it out at night and then being able to leave the house with just combing it. Life is just easier with straight hair. I seriously doubt I'll ever do anything different - it's been half a century and if I haven't learned to love it by now it doesn't seem likely it will happen in the future.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
I have mixed race, thick, curly hair; what those is in the natural hair community would call 3C hair. My biggest woes are: frizz, dryness, and lack of curl definition in certain parts. (And EVERY product claims to define curls. SO not true!)

I've tried soooooooooooo many curly hair products, I could start a small store out of the trunk of my car! UGH. Im so sick of the frizz and feeling of dryness. I do color my hair, and I know that's contributing to the dryness aspect, but even when I blew my hair out all the time and flat ironed it, it was dry. I suffer from dry skin as well.

One thing I have learned is that my curly hair hates products that contain non-natural ingredients. For instance, products with lots of alcohol, sulfates, words ending in -cone, and anything else I can't pronounce. My hair is very porous, and I haven't figured out yet if it loves or hates products with protein.

Here are my staples that I either use regularly, or can go back to at any time and I know they work:

Tresemme Naturals sulfate free conditioner. (I use it as a leave-in)
Ouidad Climate Control Gel. (I use it in combination w/moisturizing products, or it dries my hair out)
Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner
As I Am Coconut Co Wash
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo
Devacurl AnGEL hair gel

I'll be going to the Devachan Salon in New York City August 13th for my first haircut in a long while. After much research, I chose famous senior stylist Anna, who's Brazilian with curly hair of her own; she's said to be a literal sculpting artist when it comes to cuts. In fact, over half the stylist in this salon have curly hair themselves! I'm excited to see how it turns out. At $165, it betta be awesome!

What are your curly hair challenges?? What are your go-to products?
I go to devachan once a year…also in the summer! I am a 3a/3b.

Their line, devacurl, is the way to go. I have been using no poo and one conditioner. Their entire method had changed the way I feel about my hair. If you must use gel, than their angel gel is pretty good.

How often do you wash/condition? How and when do you comb it out? How do you dry your hair? Simple questions but if curly girls aren't doing it "right" can ruin your hair

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Quote:
Hey, you're in NYC?? Have you ever been to Devachan Salon there? I'll be up in a couple weeks to get my hair cut for the first time in a loooong while! I haven't had it cut properly since I stopped relaxing it in 2007. I know you said you hate your hair, but it's a combo of the right cut and right products; I SWEAR!! I have a feeling your curls have major potential, but you just have no direction on how to bring them into submission.

I'm getting my hair cut by Anna, who is from Brazil with a head full of curls. In fact, half the stylists in the salon have curly hair!! You should PM me so we can exchange numbers, and maybe you can meet me up at the salon just to check things out and get some advice from Anna about your hair struggles. She's like a sculpture artist when it comes to hair, and understands curly hair inside AND out! She's so knowledgable! (The salon is downtown off Broadway.)
definitely! I'm not sure how to PM you. It says your profile is only available to friends lol

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM

308 posts, read 506,445 times
I'm a Puerto Rican/Italian guy. My mom's hair is wavy and my dad's is very curly. I use to grow my hair out and either get it cornrowed or leave it big and frizzy almost like an afro. Then I grew up and people told me to stop looking like a slob and I agreed it was about time to sharpen up.

I tried the buzzcut look with a nice edge up but I can't stand keeping the line clean. Soooo annoying especially since my edges need to be edged up 2 days after.

What works for me is short curls.

Best thing about curly hair, as a dude, honestly is chicks love it. I've never had a hard time talking to women, getting numbers, dates, and girlfriends. They love playing with the curls.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
I am a natural 4a/4b/4c. You could call it "kinky/curly". I have too many different textures, that is the main problem. In the summer, I can't do anything with my hair. If I straighten it, it looks like I used a krimping iron on it as soon as I step outside. I used to be able to get gorgeous braidouts, but now my hair is so dry. As soon as I moisturize it, my hair soaks it right up. If I do manage to get it where it isn't so dry, it still frizzes up as soon as I step outside. I hate it. I am thinking about going back to relaxers, getting a cute bob haircut and calling it a day. I am going to try switching my products. If that doesn't help with the dryness, I will be going back to the "creamy crack". LOL

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
I'm blacj, and I hate curly hair because it gets nappy faster, and tangles.

So, I have worn my hair straight for years. If it's not straight, it's braided in 1 pigtail. Straight is easier to manage, comb through. Curly is too much hassle, and I hate how it looks around my face. Straight or wavy.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
I'm a Puerto Rican/Italian guy. My mom's hair is wavy and my dad's is very curly. I use to grow my hair out and either get it cornrowed or leave it big and frizzy almost like an afro. Then I grew up and people told me to stop looking like a slob and I agreed it was about time to sharpen up.

I tried the buzzcut look with a nice edge up but I can't stand keeping the line clean. Soooo annoying especially since my edges need to be edged up 2 days after.

What works for me is short curls.

Best thing about curly hair, as a dude, honestly is chicks love it. I've never had a hard time talking to women, getting numbers, dates, and girlfriends. They love playing with the curls.
LOL. Well, it sounds like your curls have worked out quite nicely for you. WATCH OUT LADIES!!!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
My life would have been so different with something other than thin, frizzy (not curly) hair! I've never been able to accept/be comfortable with it! as a child, my mother would get mad at me cuz she'd comb it & I'd "ruin all her work" --the woman didn't understand weird hair & gave me a real complex about it.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I am a natural 4a/4b/4c. You could call it "kinky/curly". I have too many different textures, that is the main problem. In the summer, I can't do anything with my hair. If I straighten it, it looks like I used a krimping iron on it as soon as I step outside. I used to be able to get gorgeous braidouts, but now my hair is so dry. As soon as I moisturize it, my hair soaks it right up. If I do manage to get it where it isn't so dry, it still frizzes up as soon as I step outside. I hate it. I am thinking about going back to relaxers, getting a cute bob haircut and calling it a day. I am going to try switching my products. If that doesn't help with the dryness, I will be going back to the "creamy crack". LOL
Oh man, you sound frustrated! Girl listen....I know the struggle. I went natural back in '07, and would have to say that just this year I'm FINALLY figuring out what my hair needs! I had successes and failures with various products along the way, but I think I'm finally accumulating a holy grail of products that I know FOR SURE work!

Have you used a mix of various products? Do you deep condition? When you say your hair soaks everything right up, it sounds porous; that's how my hair is. Did you see my earlier post about my newly found deep conditioner that's amazing?? It really softened hair!

When you have dry hair, (and most curlies do) conditioner is your absolute best friend; rinse out, leave in, and deep. You need them all! Stay away from parabens, sulfates, and mineral oil, they dry your hair out! Oh, and anything ending in -cone. Sleep in a satin cap, and stop drying your hair with bath towels, they create frizz; use a old T-shirt instead, or a microfiber towel. Check out naturallycurly.com and join for free; it's a forum like this one. There are other girls with your hair type that can give good tips, and they have an online store of products with reviews.

DO NOT PERM YOUR HAIR! Don't give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care