Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"natural" is what us oldsters call our grey too. It's not a copyrighted term used only by a specific race. Maybe there aren't websites devoted to it using that word but, jesus, natural is a term anyone can use without diminishing it's meaning to someone else. Why even bicker about that?

I think the majority of people are going to know who/what is being discussed when using the term by reading the first sentence or seeing who is doing the talking. There is no confusion here.
I absolutely agree. My hair is in it's natural state every day. I have no chemicals, I do not heat style it. Most of it is brown but I do have streaks of grey. I have been pretty shocked over many of the responses in this thread.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
My natural straight which makes a Brazilian Blow Out look wavy is going silver. And that after years of fashion mandated perms, highlights, lowlights, waves and everything else. It is now natural.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:52 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,516 times
I think if you don't understand the role relaxers play within the black community and the standards of beauty in the black community, then you'll never quite understand why natural hair refers to black hair in it's natural state.

There is NO stigma in white/Latin/Asian communities for wearing your hair the way it naturally grows out of your head.

Sure, straight hair is generally universally preferred, so people flat iron it. But that is not the same as being told you're less beautiful or less of a person or less made up simply because you choose to not change the texture of your hair to conform to beauty standards.

Relaxers are incredibly damaging to the hair and the scalp, which is why it seems to many that black women cannot grow or maintain long hair.

There are deep rooted issues that often (not always) cause black women to relax their hair.

If you don't understand the concept of "good hair" in the black community, I encourage you to read up on it.

Go watch "Good Hair" and maybe you'll understand why it's a movement or thing among black women.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I think if you don't understand the role relaxers play within the black community and the standards of beauty in the black community, then you'll never quite understand why natural hair refers to black hair in it's natural state.

There is NO stigma in white/Latin/Asian communities for wearing your hair the way it naturally grows out of your head.

Sure, straight hair is generally universally preferred, so people flat iron it. But that is not the same as being told you're less beautiful or less of a person or less made up simply because you choose to not change the texture of your hair to conform to beauty standards.

Relaxers are incredibly damaging to the hair and the scalp, which is why it seems to many that black women cannot grow or maintain long hair.

There are deep rooted issues that often (not always) cause black women to relax their hair.

If you don't understand the concept of "good hair" in the black community, I encourage you to read up on it.

Go watch "Good Hair" and maybe you'll understand why it's a movement or thing among black women.
I know about those things and I also know that no matter what your race or ethnicity is, your hair has a natural state.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"natural" is what us oldsters call our grey too. It's not a copyrighted term used only by a specific race. Maybe there aren't websites devoted to it using that word but, jesus, natural is a term anyone can use without diminishing it's meaning to someone else. Why even bicker about that?

I think the majority of people are going to know who/what is being discussed when using the term by reading the first sentence or seeing who is doing the talking. There is no confusion here.
Well, that is probably why the words "hair movement" are added to natural. So as to be specific.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Honestly, I've always referred to my hair as "natural." It wasn't until recently I found out "natural" was something black women said. Hence, the controversy.
And do you refer to your natural hair as a "movement"?

Probably not.

And I have always referred to my hair as being naturally curly, or keeping my natural color, etc. If you cannot understand the difference between the two different uses of the word, than I feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care