Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times

Advertisements

So many so called "Asian hairstyles" include bangs and look great. (And no, not ALL, of course!)

I want to understand more of the aesthetics of WHY this is- the art, geometry, physics or whatever!

Something about the shape of face? Eyes? Cheeks? What? Why do they not GENERALLY look AS GOOD on Caucasians?

Asian Medium Hairstyle

Thanks for helping me understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 02:45 AM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
Those hairstyles suit their often delicate child-like features.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 PM

So, in general, do bangs and straight hair look better on those w smaller features. I would think that the straight hair would so it doesn't "overpower" the face. But the bangs? Do bangs soften the features or make them more defined? I always thought softened them but Asians for the most part already have softened features . . .

Old 09-27-2014, 04:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Who said bangs don't look as good on Caucasians? Bangs come and go from fashion. There are times when bangs are THE thing, and that's what all the young Caucasian women are wearing. Maybe in the Asian community, fashion focusses on other aspects of the hair (short/long, wavy/straight, updo/down). Bangs are very common in both populations.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said bangs don't look as good on Caucasians? Bangs come and go from fashion. There are times when bangs are THE thing, and that's what all the young Caucasian women are wearing. Maybe in the Asian community, fashion focusses on other aspects of the hair (short/long, wavy/straight, updo/down). Bangs are very common in both populations.

I'm really not trying to go there in a PC kind of why.

I said it. It's my opinion. I can find no data to support it. What i DO find is a lot more Asians' hairstyles online have bangs in comparison to Caucasion haircuts. Again no stats.

To phrase it in a hopefully less controversial way: why do Asians look good with bangs?

I'm just interested in the science behind the asthetics.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
To phrase it in a hopefully less controversial way: why do Asians look good with bangs?

I'm just interested in the science behind the asthetics.
Maybe the same reason Caucasians look good with bangs? Few women look bad with bangs.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:18 PM

Then why do Caucasians look good w bangs? What about those few women who MAY LOOK BAD w bangs? Why is that?

Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 AM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
It's about shape, texture, color, relativity, and most importantly, balance.

* dark hair contrasting relatively medium to fair complexion creats a distintive shape
* coarse and straight hair strands that can be texurized through cutting and do not need any hair products
* When the face is framed in a smaller area, for some the eyes would look relatively bigger, while for some their already large eyes and noses stand out even more.

What these styles do is to frame the face into a certain shape. If the facial features are prominent like Anjelica Huston, it'd be good to look at the overall balance, changing the hair vs. head/face shapes and textures to accentuate those great features.

Last edited by Waterlily Pad; 09-28-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
I love bangs on women! In the 90's, everyone had bangs. I didn't notice they looked bad on anyone. They're still popular, for which I'm grateful. I think they look soft and feminine. Just my two cents.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I love bangs on women! In the 90's, everyone had bangs. I didn't notice they looked bad on anyone. They're still popular, for which I'm grateful. I think they look soft and feminine. Just my two cents.

STILL POPULAR? Really? Maybe i have just not seen a lot (wasn't paying attention?) but the last few years i see them EVERYWHERE. Especially after Michelle Obama.

I have them on myself for the first time in nearly 2 decades. They don't look that great and i'm trying to understand WHY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care