Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times

Advertisements

Upon the recommendation from several friends (some of them here on City-Data), did I go and purchased "Biotin" (After getting the ok from my doc FIRST though )
Biotin is the "building block" for nails and hair, and they need the Biotin to grow (it's like "food" for them, if you will)
So, I've been taking it now for approx. 2 months or so.....and I finally SEE some results.
Yes, my hair seems stronger, as well as my nails......and my hair is not as lifeless and dull anymore. (But that maybe because I am doing weekly deep mask conditioning applications at home for my hair, soften and smoothing the hair cuticle.)

I am extremely happy with the outcome so far...but...huh.....uhm...there's just ONE little "snag" though..
I am getting my hair foiled blond, and every visit to the salon will set me back about 100 dollars.
Well...guess what ?
Now I have to go more often, because my hair does grow out faster, it seems.
Can't win...can I....huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I was going to suggest the biotin too. Where is it breaking? Because the pulling it back for sleep breaks my hair unless I do it with one of those nylon loops I make from tights. You probably need to get 2-4 inches taken off to help stop the breaking and splitting. I would suggest a soft boar hair brush or high end nylon brush. The problem with cheaper brushes is that they don't polish the edges of them so the are rough and can rip at the hair. When conditioning in the shower use a large toothed "wet comb" to pull it all through the hair. This makes a HUGE difference.

Brush your hair by starting at the ends with a wide toothed comb. Only comb down from an inch up from your hair's ends and work your way up inch by inch. Style with your fingers or the wide toothed comb. Only use the brush to smooth the top layer gently.

Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase and don't wear hats

Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
what a wetcomb looks like:
Buy Swissco Wet Comb, Tortoise Online at drugstore.com

Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
My hair is growing out and is now to my armpits, but how do I keep it from breaking? Grey hair is much more coarse and prone to break.
I did read that I should use a nylon brush (got it!) and brush from the underside first. Or use a big wide tooth comb first before brushing the topside of my hair. Is there anything else I can do to keep my grey hair from breaking off? HELP!
I have short grey hair but due to post op radiotherapy my hair became brittle and was very prone to breaking. After my final radiotherapy treatment I mentioned it to my hairdresser. She told me to look for a product online called Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. Cut a long story short, I liked what I read and now use it religiously. It has solved the problem of brittle breaking hair. After only a few months use my hair started to get back to normal and now I follow the 4-step hair repair system for only one week in every six as recommended by Pro Naturals. I also found that changing my hairdryer to a Karmin Salon Series Ultralight Ionic Hair Dryer has also helped. Switch the ion generator to blue and the negative ions dries hair much faster. I mostly finger dry my hair.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've been 100% grey for years. Right now I use a henna product to color my hair and that seems to make my hair better.

I don't really have a routine but I have a bunch of products in my bathroom that I like playing around with including Redkin Diamond Oil, which I use before bed because I like the scent, Oi Oil (a Davines product) that I use before straightening, and some conditioners that I rotate through including It's a 10 leave in conditioning spray, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm and Dove daily moisture. 1-2 times a month I use Joico K-pak stuff that I bought but didn't like using regularly.

Up until a couple years ago I did nothing but wash my hair with VO5 or Suave shampoo, and it was not pretty. It's MUCH better now but I have no idea what products might be making a difference.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
My hair is growing out and is now to my armpits, but how do I keep it from breaking? Grey hair is much more coarse and prone to break.
I did read that I should use a nylon brush (got it!) and brush from the underside first. Or use a big wide tooth comb first before brushing the topside of my hair. Is there anything else I can do to keep my grey hair from breaking off? HELP!
My hair is grey/white/black and over 60+, coarse, straight. Got damaged badly last October post op radiotherapy. Was recommended by my hairdresser that I do 2 things:
1. Buy Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. The basic ingredient is Moroccan Argan Oil. Pro Naturals set out a 4-step regime that I followed religiously for one month. Since then I use Pro Naturals for one week in every six weeks. Now I can confirm that my hair has ceased to be brittle, it shines and is very manageable.
2. The second thing Becky (my hairdresser) suggested was that I invest in new hair tools. She asked me to purchase a Karmin Salon Series Ultralight Professional Ionic Hair Dryer. Because the ceramic heating unit provides the benefits of heating evenly and not getting too hot.
The electronic ion generator when switched to green = negative ions = hair drying faster
When switched to blue = positive ions = increases shine and if you finish off using the cool shot button it will help eliminate frizz and flyaways.
Weight : approx 12 ozs
The other tool she recommended was a Karmin G3 Salon Pro Hair Styling Iron has 100% pure tourmaline ceramic plates because ceramic plates allow for even heat distribution which means that there will not be any overheated or cold spots. I know this is very important to me because I use my styling iron every morning to style my hair. I hope this post helps you.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Silica supplementation increases hair follicle tensile strength. Known for decades I suppose. I use this: Organic silica, Orgono Living Silica
my wife, mom and barber notice the difference- they people who regularly touch my scalp hair.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
These products work really well for me (they are similar and I noticed that they have most of the same ingredients when I compared the labels). I realized that my hairstylist used a lot on my hair, so I recently started loading my hair up too and it seems to make a big difference. :-)
Procalim Glossing Polish
Amazon.com: CHI Silk Infusion, 6 fl. oz.: Beauty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care