Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 129,263 times

Advertisements

Approximately 6 months ago my hair was thinned out entirely too much. it hasn't been the same since. I switched hair stylists and I specifically told her not to thin my hair out. during my last haircut, I noticed that she uses a technique called point cutting on the ends of my hair as opposed to a blunt cut. I questioned her about it and she said that she is cutting the ends at an angle to give it texture since don't want it thinned. I was wondering if point cutting thins hair out. Also, If I get a blunt cut next time, will that even everything out? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
No, I don't believe so. Thinning - with thinning shears - is an entirely different process than simply point cutting the ends for a trim. *It can take a long time to grow out hair that has been thinned, since sections of hair are cut at different lengths to remove major bulk & create layers.. Point cutting is a very basic technique most stylists use and it only affects the ends. Helps smooth things out and keep a nicer shape than a straight blunt cut.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
No, what your stylist told you was correct. She is not thinning your hair.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I agree that point cutting will not thin out your hair.

I have very fine hair and point cutting is perfect for me since blunt cuts end up looking just like that: blunt, and one can clearly see the cut lines.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 32,673 times
katie45, I have had the same problem, unfortunately I could not make my usual appointment with my usual hairdresser and had to have another stylist.....I was very nervous, but went all the same she point cut my hair, the very first time I have had this done and boy it was a good cut, my hairdresser, I have had for 30 odd years, still blunt cuts and my hair is poker straight to start with and it sick out in all angles, I have asked for a pointed cut but, she said it would ruin the style!
I said that the 'stand in' stylist gave a very good cut, she did not comment. but how do you change your hairdresser after 30 odd years of service, to another one in the same salon??? what a dilemma

Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbylu View Post
katie45, I have had the same problem, unfortunately I could not make my usual appointment with my usual hairdresser and had to have another stylist.....I was very nervous, but went all the same she point cut my hair, the very first time I have had this done and boy it was a good cut, my hairdresser, I have had for 30 odd years, still blunt cuts and my hair is poker straight to start with and it sick out in all angles, I have asked for a pointed cut but, she said it would ruin the style!
I said that the 'stand in' stylist gave a very good cut, she did not comment. but how do you change your hairdresser after 30 odd years of service, to another one in the same salon??? what a dilemma
You make the next appointment with the stand in and tell the old stylist she would not do as you, her customer asked for.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Default Depends

There's "tip" point cutting that doesn't go into the interior of the hair which can give nice texture to the style. This lets the ends not look too heavy. Then there's deep point cutting that absolutely can thin the **** out of your hair. Some cuts call for texturizing but it also depends on the type of hair you have and whether or not YOUR hair responds well to the type of cutting.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 AM

466 posts, read 581,134 times
I am so glad I read this thread. I'm going to be having my hair cut fairly soon and learning about tip point cutting and deep point cutting means I will be able to ask my hairdresser whether a blunt cut, tip or deep point cutting will be the best way of achieving the style I want. Thank you so much everyone.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
My hairdresser does this technique also. Never knew the name.

But, I love it. It gives my hair more body as it grows out. And it grows so fast.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 AM

466 posts, read 581,134 times
Thought you ladies might enjoy this link: Hair Cutting Terms - Hair Salon Language
I gave it to Becky, my hairdresser, (she comes to my house) and Becky whips it out to show all her new customers. Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care