Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

You find this sort of thing more often with darker hair dye colors due to the higher presence of PPD. The substance is in all hair dyes where you have a color plus developer that have to be mixed, but the concentration seems to be higher in darker colors (more incidences of severe reactions with people using darker colors).

I dunno... go for blonde highlights?

That's a tough one. I like coloring my hair because it seems to give me more body and texture (my hair is fine textured normally).

I also am not a huge fan of gray. I've considered going for something very close to my natural color with some heavy highlights mixed in to minimize hair dye exposure. I've never had a reaction to hair dye. Occasionally, it'll make my head itch, but that only seems to happen if I've recently shampooed my hair, so I always try not to shampoo it for several hours before coloring it.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
‘NCIS’ star hospitalized after severe allergic reaction to hair dye - NY Daily News

Quote:

The actress who plays goth-style forensic scientist Abby Sciuto on the hit
CBS show says she recently dyed her hair black like she’s done for years and
made a beeline for the hospital after suffering a severe allergic reaction.

“Did my head look a bit puffy on the red carpet last night? Turns out I was
having a dangerous allergic reaction to hair dye,” Perrette, 45, wrote to her
half-million Twitter followers Friday.
She is a natural blonde.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You find this sort of thing more often with darker hair dye colors due to the higher presence of PPD. The substance is in all hair dyes where you have a color plus developer that have to be mixed, but the concentration seems to be higher in darker colors (more incidences of severe reactions with people using darker colors).

I dunno... go for blonde highlights?

That's a tough one. I like coloring my hair because it seems to give me more body and texture (my hair is fine textured normally).

I also am not a huge fan of gray. I've considered going for something very close to my natural color with some heavy highlights mixed in to minimize hair dye exposure. I've never had a reaction to hair dye. Occasionally, it'll make my head itch, but that only seems to happen if I've recently shampooed my hair, so I always try not to shampoo it for several hours before coloring it.

To help avoid scalp irritation, Clairol recommends that you don't wash your hair for 2-3 days or so before coloring your hair as the oil accumulation on the scalp acts as protection. Didn't work for me this time so I'm still looking into natural color products (there aren't many) and buying wigs as my hair is getting very thin.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 18,499 times
I also developed a gradual PPD allergy -- I would notice some tingling and itchiness but one time I had huge itchy bumps and felt like my scalp was on fire. I've since switched to henna (aka mehendi) and I use it in conjunction with indigo to get a true cool black. You can play around to get varying shades from red to auburn to black. Just make sure you're getting pure henna and pure indigo, no black henna, which may have PPD.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhablha View Post
I also developed a gradual PPD allergy -- I would notice some tingling and itchiness but one time I had huge itchy bumps and felt like my scalp was on fire. I've since switched to henna (aka mehendi) and I use it in conjunction with indigo to get a true cool black. You can play around to get varying shades from red to auburn to black. Just make sure you're getting pure henna and pure indigo, no black henna, which may have PPD.
I used henna for much of my early 20s. I like red. It seems to damage the hair more than traditional dyes, though. Eh. Maybe I'll perm my hair, get highlights every 6 months to minimize damage, and use organic, temporary color as needed.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:49 AM

12 posts, read 159,425 times
Default Henna or Italian dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Yesterday I used Clairol Grey Buster permanent haircolor (have used this product for 4 years). This is the first time I've had an allergic reaction--itchy red spots on the back of my head. The folks at 1-800 Clairol were very helpful but bottom line is that they recommend not using any hair color products at all but to see my doctor to get tested to see which ingredients I'm sensitive to (I probably won't do this as no way will Medicare cover this one ). My partly grey hair is an ugly shade so I color it. Anyone else here have to stop using haircolor due to a reaction? Did you just live with your ugly color? Wear wigs? What?
Radiance by loreal too

Old 05-28-2015, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 18,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I used henna for much of my early 20s. I like red. It seems to damage the hair more than traditional dyes, though. Eh. Maybe I'll perm my hair, get highlights every 6 months to minimize damage, and use organic, temporary color as needed.
I think you need to use a lot of conditioner if you're dying with henna, because henna can be drying. also, some people mix yoghurt or oil in the henna, which helps.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I'm not ready to give up coloring. This last time I added 2 envelopes of Sweet and Low, plus a tbs of coconut oil. I put petroleum jelly all around my hairline, and then washed it 48 hours hours later with Head and Shoulders for itchy scalps. I took Benadryl also. Within 72 hours I was fine.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 22,980 times
Hi there...

Have you ever considered organic hair color? I got highlights with this type of color and a toner yesterday and it wasn't itchy like so many salon colors had to me before like Wella and Redken. It came out very pretty too and it actually smelled good, not noxious like some chemicals. I live in a city and there are a few salons that carry organic color but they're a bit harder to find. Maybe consider googling or yelp searching it? Goldwell is another type of salon hair color which is much more gentle on the hair than other colors and I've never had a problem with it having used it many years. Maybe someone could do a patch test?

I think I have a hair dye allergy too but organic color and Goldwell are my answers.

Good luck!

Amy

Old 10-05-2016, 03:05 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
I have also developed an allergic reaction to hair dye. For years I never had a problem but the last year or so after dying my hair my scalp itches like crazy and sores appear and my whole scalp is irritated. I went to a dermatologist about 8 weeks ago right after I dyed my hair and he said I was probably allergic to the PPD in hair dyes like some here have mentioned. He gave me an allergy shot and within 3 days I was completely healed. I can't go have steroid shots after each hair dye because it can be harmful. But these last weeks it has been a relief to my scalp.

What is Henna? I found a company that said they use no peroxide or PPD..every ingredient is natural. It was called Madison-Reed. Has anyone every heard of that company?

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care