U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,698,204 times

Advertisements

Hi Foma -

Good advice here. I might be able to help a bit as I was a colorist for years. For those who don't want to be a slave to retouching roots, a good rule to abide by is to stay within 2 shades of one's natural color range... not levels (e.g., dark brown, med brown, light brown represent 3 levels of color), but if you take 1 level (dark brown for instance)... 3 shades within that level/range would be dark, dark brown; med, dark brown; light, dark brown. I'm keeping it simple & taking out bases (gold, green or ash, red, orange, violet, for example), as it can be broken down into smaller categories, too.

Black haircolor is level 1. Pure white haircolor would be level 12. With either end of the color spectrum, you do need to jump to the next level... meaning there isn't white & whiter, just white. Same as black. Your hair's black or it's not. But browns, reds & blondes have ranges. So, as a level 1, you'd need to go to a level 2 (dark brown), but in the very dark ranges/shades (dark, dark brown to med, dark brown) to have subtle highlights. Those haircolors can contain red additive, which would look very dark brown mahogany on a black base. These would be achieved with some sort of bleach for best results/lightening control or color/peroxide. I hope I'm describing it well as color can be hard to describe via words only, rather than have pics/swatches.

There's many methods for coloring, but if highlights were painted into the hair, rather than foiled or pulled through a cap, the result would be as if you were in the sunshine during the summer, soft/natural/healthy/shiny. Also, if you did notice a demarkation line and/or didn't want to upkeep any highlights, you could simply paint over pre-lightened hair with a black color & brush (that is what lowlighting means... putting darker color back in lightened pieces of hair). Sometimes hair will continue to lighten with continued washing/heat from dryers/irons, but particularly as you live in a sunny, hot environment, so the color could wash out another shade... 2+ if you regularly swim in a chlorine pool.

The best way to control the obviously colored look that you don't want is to just paint on a few strands at only a few intervals... subtle, rather than chunks or done throughought the entire head... just a few strands on the top layer of hair where the sun would naturally hit the hair. I did see you with blonde chunks in your hair & I must say I like it on you. You're very young, very pretty & have a vibrant personality, so honestly, you can pull off most colors. Just have it professionally done, at least the first time, to make sure your hair remains soft & undamaged. Timing can differ with different textures of hair, but I've seen very fine hair which is strong & takes a long time to lighten vs. thick density hair which "comes up" quickly. It can be surprising at how your hair will take to color.

Also, most importantly, you can purchase a few clip-on extensions to just place into your hair to see if it's something you might like. They come in different shades, from neon, vivid colors to natural shades... synthetic hair to human hair.

Lastly, there are some color rinses to use, none of which I know that are available to anyone without a hair license, but I'm mentioning it in case you have a hairdresser friend nearby. One is available at Sallys, is called Jazzing & the one I'm thinking of is pure red & could be painted into hair. It looks gorgeous on black hair, making it healthy, shiny & just adds a temporary coating on hair. It's like a Sebastian Celophane, pure protein & eventually washes out, in 1-6 wks... depending on beginning color of one's hair & the color rinse used. (Note: Sally's doesn't sell color to unlicensed customers, but they used to sell Jazzing to anyone. Honestly, I'm not even sure if they still carry Jazzing, but you may want to call a local Sally's & ask.)

It's best to have a very strong idea of what you'd like first (chunks, subtle highlights, all throughout the entire head, section highlights like just in the front or front/sides, etc.) just to ensure you end up with something you're fairly certain you'd like. Perhaps, checking out mags or online styles will give you some ideas, too. Some hairdressers/colorists will give you a 10-15 minute free consult. If you receive a referral, you may want to call the colorist first & inquire about a consult appt, without committing to having it done that day. If I can answer any q's, feel free to DM me.

Good luck. You've got great hair so something different & fun will look great! ... VV
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Location: If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun.
2,319 posts, read 5,894,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi Foma -

Good advice here. I might be able to help a bit as I was a colorist for years. For those who don't want to be a slave to retouching roots, a good rule to abide by is to stay within 2 shades of one's natural color range... not levels (e.g., dark brown, med brown, light brown represent 3 levels of color), but if you take 1 level (dark brown for instance)... 3 shades within that level/range would be dark, dark brown; med, dark brown; light, dark brown. I'm keeping it simple & taking out bases (gold, green or ash, red, orange, violet, for example), as it can be broken down into smaller categories, too.

Black haircolor is level 1. Pure white haircolor would be level 12. With either end of the color spectrum, you do need to jump to the next level... meaning there isn't white & whiter, just white. Same as black. Your hair's black or it's not. But browns, reds & blondes have ranges. So, as a level 1, you'd need to go to a level 2 (dark brown), but in the very dark ranges/shades (dark, dark brown to med, dark brown) to have subtle highlights. Those haircolors can contain red additive, which would look very dark brown mahogany on a black base. These would be achieved with some sort of bleach for best results/lightening control or color/peroxide. I hope I'm describing it well as color can be hard to describe via words only, rather than have pics/swatches.

There's many methods for coloring, but if highlights were painted into the hair, rather than foiled or pulled through a cap, the result would be as if you were in the sunshine during the summer, soft/natural/healthy/shiny. Also, if you did notice a demarkation line and/or didn't want to upkeep any highlights, you could simply paint over pre-lightened hair with a black color & brush (that is what lowlighting means... putting darker color back in lightened pieces of hair). Sometimes hair will continue to lighten with continued washing/heat from dryers/irons, but particularly as you live in a sunny, hot environment, so the color could wash out another shade... 2+ if you regularly swim in a chlorine pool.

The best way to control the obviously colored look that you don't want is to just paint on a few strands at only a few intervals... subtle, rather than chunks or done throughought the entire head... just a few strands on the top layer of hair where the sun would naturally hit the hair. I did see you with blonde chunks in your hair & I must say I like it on you. You're very young, very pretty & have a vibrant personality, so honestly, you can pull off most colors. Just have it professionally done, at least the first time, to make sure your hair remains soft & undamaged. Timing can differ with different textures of hair, but I've seen very fine hair which is strong & takes a long time to lighten vs. thick density hair which "comes up" quickly. It can be surprising at how your hair will take to color.

Also, most importantly, you can purchase a few clip-on extensions to just place into your hair to see if it's something you might like. They come in different shades, from neon, vivid colors to natural shades... synthetic hair to human hair.

Lastly, there are some color rinses to use, none of which I know that are available to anyone without a hair license, but I'm mentioning it in case you have a hairdresser friend nearby. One is available at Sallys, is called Jazzing & the one I'm thinking of is pure red & could be painted into hair. It looks gorgeous on black hair, making it healthy, shiny & just adds a temporary coating on hair. It's like a Sebastian Celophane, pure protein & eventually washes out, in 1-6 wks... depending on beginning color of one's hair & the color rinse used. (Note: Sally's doesn't sell color to unlicensed customers, but they used to sell Jazzing to anyone. Honestly, I'm not even sure if they still carry Jazzing, but you may want to call a local Sally's & ask.)

It's best to have a very strong idea of what you'd like first (chunks, subtle highlights, all throughout the entire head, section highlights like just in the front or front/sides, etc.) just to ensure you end up with something you're fairly certain you'd like. Perhaps, checking out mags or online styles will give you some ideas, too. Some hairdressers/colorists will give you a 10-15 minute free consult. If you receive a referral, you may want to call the colorist first & inquire about a consult appt, without committing to having it done that day. If I can answer any q's, feel free to DM me.

Good luck. You've got great hair so something different & fun will look great! ... VV

Good post. Very informative.

Foma. If youre not sure Id go with the temporary stuff or the extensions. You can always do permanent stuff later. Just a thought. Have you considered making your hair darker. Sounds like you have the coloring for it. Everybody has high lights or low lights but not many peeps can carry off black hair. And look good.

If youre feeling wild and crazy I once saw an Asian lady with navy blue hair. Her hair was so black it was blue. It wasnt flashy You didnt notice the navy right off. Only in certain lights. It was too kewl.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 AM

53 posts, read 182,526 times
I will just say this, once you start bear in mind that it is hard to stop and it does take a lot of up keep that can be costly and time consuming. growing out color is a pain in the a.....

Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,968,468 times
If you don't like something you have done w/ your haircolor - you don't have to wait to fix it, LOL. Just put on another color or go to a hairstylist and have them custom color it. Hair should be fun!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM

16 posts, read 70,389 times
LOL. Well it is not so much as what she is doing...but it is majorly about what they are mixing in the back and what volume developers and what brands and what ratios and what shades...sometimes it can be 2-4 shades.... which is what I call "my secret sauce" and would not give it away. That is what I get paid for, expertize,creativity,confidence, know how and a sure thing.. Apprentices can apply color...
Or do it yourself and take big risks. Enjoy

Old 04-21-2008, 04:08 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,375,935 times
It's better to go to a professional to do a radical haircolor change (e.i. brunette to blonde, highlights, lowlights, etc.).

Too risky to do yourself, I'd say. I go to a pro when I want highlights (did it myself once and it turned orange!!). Never again. Go to a professional, it saves you the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care