Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM

221 posts, read 318,171 times

Advertisements

I have brown hair, a little more on the dark side.

I've never dyed my hair, only highlights.

I THINK I want to dye it....any advice? I wanted to go reddish, but I've been advised by an experienced hair dyer not to do that in the summer. I don't want really high maintenance upkeep, and I don't like when roots look terrible growing out.

Should I do it? If so, color suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
If you dont like the maintenance then no, you shouldnt. I'm not a hair stylist so no idea about summer not being a good time. Iv only done all over color once and it was close to my hair color so It didnt require much maintenance. I always highlight.

I think a reddish brown is very pretty, if done right. I also like a deep rich chocolate brown color to. depends what you like and what you think will work with you color wise and how often you want to be at the salon to touch up roots. If your hair grows quickly, expect to be in even more often.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:36 AM

221 posts, read 318,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
If you dont like the maintenance then no, you shouldnt.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't mind maintenance, I think I would just be annoyed if I had to go in all the time for touch ups. I've had highlights a few times before, but maybe they were just a good match with my hair because when I decided I didn't want to maintain them anymore, they didn't look terrible in the growing out stage. They blended nicely with the rest of my hair and horrible roots were not an issue.

I like your idea of reddish brown or a dark chocolatey brown. I'm just wondering if those colors are better suited for fall and winter. Maybe something a little lighter/caramel toned for summer? Beats me

Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post

I THINK I want to dye it....any advice? I wanted to go reddish, but I've been advised by an experienced hair dyer not to do that in the summer. I don't want really high maintenance upkeep, and I don't like when roots look terrible growing out.

I wouldn't. Enjoy your natural hair color while you can. It won't last very long.

I hate the idea of having my hair with different shades. Dying natural brown color can go wrong very easily if not dyed properly.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:56 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Your hair grows. You will have to go in for touch ups every three weeks or so if you don't want roots. You will be annoyed!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Buy Semi-Permanent hair color. There are 2 brands at most Sally's.

They don't contain ammonia or peroxide. In fact, you don't even use a developer. It doesn't change your natural hair color, so you cannot go ligher. It washes out after approx 6 washes.

One brand is Clairol Beautiful Collection. Clairol also has a 1 use tempy dye called Jazzing. It washes out after 1 use. But the colors are very vivid/bright so this might not be what you are looking for.

The other brand at Sally's is Ion Color Brilliance Semi-Permanent. Make sure you get Semi-Permanent and not Demi-Permanent the first time.

Demi-Permament lasts longer and it has a slight developer where some folks that lighten easily have commented that demi slightly lightened their natural color, even when it wasn't supposed to. This won't happen with semi.

There is another one time/washes out tempy color called Fanci-Full. Roux is the brand. There are only a few colors. One bottle lasts many uses.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:

Just go lighter to a more honey-colored brown. It'll give you a nice subtle change and it's pretty low maintenance. Loreal has a series called hi-lift browns that should do the trick.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:

If you do decide to do it, you should go for this color...looks like a few colors mixed in...never seen any woman have it like this before...cool as heck

Old 09-06-2015, 11:07 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Just a warning about going red: I was red for a few years, first using henna, then the colour straight from a box. Red is always permanent to some extent. Even the "semi-permanent" red dyes. Red doesn't wash out or fade, not as readily as brown dyes do.

Red dye sticks to the hair shaft, and other dye colours (even black) won't stick on top of the red... they wash right out when you try to dye on top of the red. The only way to remove red dye from hair is to use an actual hair colour remover. It basically bleaches away the red, and leaves the hair blonde, so if you have the red removed that way, you'd have to dye over the hair again to get some colour back (blonde or brown or black).

I went through that process a couple of years ago and posted about it here. I was very pleased with the results when I had a hair colour remover done by a salon, but it's a bit expensive. So if you go red, think ahead about how long you want it to stay red, and the bother that's involved with either growing it out, or using a colour remover to get rid of it.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
The best way I think is that you could buy a red wig for try, it doesn't cost much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care