Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to do with my hair anymore. It's pretty thin and curly. It dries out easily and has been drying out like crazy here. I drink a gallon of water a day doesn't help. I will wash it only 1 day a week but then it gets gross and heavy and oily looking even though when I touch it it's dry and feels kinda like straw in some parts. So I wash it every other day and it's still just always dry and frizzy and have fly aways like crazy. I have a light spray in leave in conditioner that I spray on when it's when and comb through and it kinda helps for part of the day but it's not helping as much as I need it to. I am also growing my hair out so it's in this awkward looking stage right now where it's just starting to get past my ears so the sides look all funky and flipped out. I'm sure I shampoo it too much...cause I want it to look clean and when I don't shampoo at least every other day it looks bad my shampoo and conditioner are natural ones from whole foods, I thought they would be good but they aren't helping.

Please help! What do you do with your hair in az?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,061 times
Instead of shampooing, try conditioner washing (co-washing). If you're willing to spend $$$, you can go with Wen, or if you want to do it MUCH MUCH cheaper with similar results, use Suave Rosemary & Mint conditioner (go ahead and get the big bottle. You'll use a lot more conditioner than you're used to).

I have very fine, limp hair, and when it starts getting really dry, I switch to co-washing. At first I worried that using conditioner on my roots would weigh my hair down, but it really doesn't.

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/hair-care/co-wash-natural-hair/page2

^^^This link claims that co-washing isn't for people with fine, limp hair, but I disagree. It just depends on the conditioner.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 AM

466 posts, read 576,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona Ren View Post
I don't know what to do with my hair anymore. It's pretty thin and curly. It dries out easily and has been drying out like crazy here. I drink a gallon of water a day doesn't help. I will wash it only 1 day a week but then it gets gross and heavy and oily looking even though when I touch it it's dry and feels kinda like straw in some parts. So I wash it every other day and it's still just always dry and frizzy and have fly aways like crazy. I have a light spray in leave in conditioner that I spray on when it's when and comb through and it kinda helps for part of the day but it's not helping as much as I need it to. I am also growing my hair out so it's in this awkward looking stage right now where it's just starting to get past my ears so the sides look all funky and flipped out. I'm sure I shampoo it too much...cause I want it to look clean and when I don't shampoo at least every other day it looks bad my shampoo and conditioner are natural ones from whole foods, I thought they would be good but they aren't helping.

Take a look at what I use, Pro Naturals, it is a hair repair treatment and I think it will help you. My granddaughter has frizzy dry curly hair and since she has incorporated this treatment into her routine it is now lovely and shiny and she doesn't suffer from frizz or static hair any more.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 AM

50 posts, read 50,413 times
Take a look at naturallycurly.com.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 AM

175 posts, read 258,684 times
Bio-silk oil leave in conditioner.. It smells wonderful and your hair will be super soft. I'm in Utah. Get it from Amazon. It's a little spendy but you only use a dime size amount.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona Ren View Post

You don't say what kind of hair you have - straight or curly, thick or thin. The problem is either the dry air in AZ or the water in your home. It is NOT your shampoo and conditioner. I use fragrance free baby shampoo and conditioner, very cheap, and my hair looks exactly the same as when I bought expensive stuff at salons. That really makes no difference.

First, you might need a haircut. Nothing will help if you don't have a good cut. Second, you probably need to use product. Try a clear gel. That cuts down a lot of frizz. Also, you don't say if you blow dry or natural dry. A different brush and blowdryer, along with product, could also make a difference, especially if your hair is longer than it was. Go to a good salon and get a good cut and see what they recommend.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM

15,101 posts, read 27,541,944 times
That was a one-time post in July!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,281,887 times
I use curl cream mixed with jojoba oil.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,281,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That was a one-time post in July!
Oops! Well maybe this will help others.

I also use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, and be sure I eat enough good fats. I wear hats sometimes too, to limit the amount of sun on my hair.

My hair is changing with age too, on top of being in this dry climate. I just bought sulfate-free co-wash to try.

I have a cotton conditioning cap. I dampen my hair and put oil or conditioner on it and sleep with it sometimes. I put extra oil or curl cream on the ends of my hair where it's dry.

I highly recommend the book Curly Girl: The Handbook. Best $8 you can spend, if you have curly hair and don't know how to manage it. You can even get it used for cheaper than that. The book has a DVD showing you how to wash and style your hair to get the best results with curly hair--I am a big skeptic about everything in life, but this book is for real. We've been doing it wrong!

My hair was curly in a humid climate and here it instantly became much straighter. It is what it is and I work with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care