Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,369 times

Advertisements

I recently changed my hairstyle from shoulder length to off my neck. I absolutely LOVE the change.
I just wanted to talk about it with some regular folks. There are a lot of odd sites out there having to do with fetishes and such. I'm sure it's all quite harmless but I didn't feel comfortable to be a part of that group.

I've gone from long to short a couple of times in my life. They were always positive experiences with hairstylists I trusted. Twice I've done it on purpose once was on accident and once I got over the shock It was fantastic and I received many compliments on my new look.

The first time I was in my 20's I had never had a short haircut. I had been going to a stylist for a while and we had talked about going short a few times before I decided to do it. Once I made up my mind I put myself in her hands and said I want to cut is short and I want you to choose something that would look good on me. I went from a chin length bob to a chili bowl type cut that was very popular at that time. The time was right and I absolutely loved it. It was nice and easy to style and up off my neck.
After a while I got tired of the upkeep on such a short style and grew my hair back out.

It's kind of like an ebb and flow of the tide. Sometimes you want longer hair other times you want shorter hair.

The second time I did it was on accident, but the result was awesome. Hair can be hot and heavy and I knew I needed to lighten the load a bit. I went in for my appointment and we were talking about what I wanted to do. I complained that my hair felt like a bit hot heavy cat on my head. He suggested some changes we could make. What we talked about didn't sound super short. But when he started cutting it was too late to change my mind. He was cutting really fast so there was no way to stop the process. I went from past my shoulders to off my neck. It was a style similar to what Princess Diana wore before she passed away. I was in shock but after I got over the shock I loved how easy it was to style and how light and cool it was. When I went to work the next day I received so many compliments it was astounding. I felt so confident and happy. Again I guess the time was right to go short.

When I left my job to return to school I didn't have a lot of money for haircuts so I grew out my bangs and layers, a long irritating process and just wore a straight shoulder length style with a few long layers. Mostly it was pulled back in a pony tail. It was easy and didn't need to be trimmed but a few times a year. I've had basically the same style for several years but this week it was time to lighten the load again.

I made an appointment and went in with a few pictures of short choppy bobs. My stylist helped me choose the one that would work best with my hair. It turned out it was the one I liked the best too. So again I went from shoulder length to off my neck. I feel so liberated and pleased. It's like I was a prisoner and have been set free. I'm giddy with delight. It felt so good to see her sweep up all that hair and throw it away, it's like I threw away a burden I had been carrying. My hair can be styled in 5 minutes with my fingers and a blow dryer. No more curling iron. No more struggle to get it dry. Hairspray is optional. Love how light and cool it is off my neck. I had some broken pieces of hair I always had to use hairspray to keep from sticking up. No worries about that, it's ok if they stick up! Tossed out all the ponytail holders. I always had to have one around my wrist so i could pull my hair back when I got busy or hot or if it was windy. No more big round brush to blow dry with. I'm free.

I know this is long, but you were warned. Thanks for letting me share. Has anyone else felt liberated going from long to short? I'd like to know I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
I've done the long to short a few times as well. For me, it's not easier to have short hair because my hair is very curly and dry, and sleeping causes irreparable bedhead. I have to start from scratch every morning with shampooing and conditioning with short hair because the curl pattern is smooshed and all over the place. Having shoulder length hair means I can always do a half-up/half-down, a french twist, messy braid or any manner of styles without having to wash it first (and dry hair shouldn't be washed as often).

So glad you're loving your new style, though.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
when I was in my early 30's I had mid length hair. went in for a cut and he cut layers which I hated. went to another hairdresser to have her fix it, just didn't like that either. I ended up with a hair cut every week for about 5 or 6 weeks until it was short. I loved it.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I had short hair for most of my childhood, started growing it out my senior year of high school. A few years later, it was mid to low back and it stayed that way for many, many years (at least a decade). Eventually, I cut it to the upper back and it stayed that way for a while. About 18 months ago, I decided to spontaneously chop it off top of neck. I did a junk job, and had to have a professional fix it up, and it ended up just below my ears. (I have been cutting my own hair since I started college). On the one hand, it felt liberating. On the other hand, it required more upkeep that I couldn't do, AND it was the wrong length for my hair type. With really thick, wavy/curly (big curls, waves when my hair is really long), dry hair, and a large head, I really needed longer hair or super super short hair. It's now back to upper back and I think I'll keep it there for a while. As a PP said, my kind of hair doesn't like frequent washing. I wash and straighten it twice a week and that works for me.

There are some hairstyles I would LOVE that are short, but they don't fit my hair type and/or would take way too much work to style/keep up.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,351 times
Once I've had short hair.. well not too short not too long but I couldn't find myself. I've started to let it grow and now i love it. My hair is curly so short hair is not a good idea for me plus I can perfectly show my curls with long hair
one way or another it's all about personality, you gotta know how to rock it!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhaircut View Post
Once I've had short hair.. well not too short not too long but I couldn't find myself. I've started to let it grow and now i love it. My hair is curly so short hair is not a good idea for me plus I can perfectly show my curls with long hair
one way or another it's all about personality, you gotta know how to rock it!
Does your hair look like this? I love this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IZAVVm0wc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care