U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,548,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Last October for my birthday I bought a book on haircolor called the Haircolor Mix Book by Lorri Goddard-Clark, who is a celebrity haircolorist. I really love it.

Celebrity Hair Colorist, Lorri Goddard Clark | THE HAIR COLOR MIX BOOK
Now why did I not think about looking for a book???? What a great idea. Cat - thank you so much for the info - I am going to check this out.

You are a dear for sharing this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 100,207 times
Like I tell my Guest. It is cheaper for me to highlight your hair then for me to correct it. I have been doing hair for 17 years and I would never do my own highlights. If you get a drop of bleach on any other hair then the one you want highlighted you will get spots or hot spots and could look like a calio cat. When I have guest that get both color and highlights but the budget is a little tight. I will do the color and the cut one day and have them come back in a week or two when they get paid again to get the highlight. I read it is a couple of foils not sure what the price is but I charge $6 per foil that way. If you have a salon professional acdemcy never you I will try there it is a Redken school all work is done with an educator there.
Hope this helps
Amy

Old 03-29-2008, 10:53 AM

2,144 posts, read 4,732,094 times
I always use LOreal La Petite Frost...I don't use the cap, but instead I paint it on where I want highlights.....it's definately not brain surgery....but the stylists need to make some $$$ too.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I always use LOreal La Petite Frost...I don't use the cap, but instead I paint it on where I want highlights.....it's definately not brain surgery....but the stylists need to make some $$$ too.
Now this sounds about my speed, LOL. But may I ask . . . is your hair colored, and then you put the stuff on to streak it? Or are you applying the streaks to natural hair (not colored?) Cause if your hair is colored and then you put streaks in it . . . that would be exactly my situation.

Great idea! The product is aready "put together" . . . very smart, NCMom. BTW - are we neighbors? I am in Charlotte.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria's Salon View Post
Like I tell my Guest. It is cheaper for me to highlight your hair then for me to correct it. I have been doing hair for 17 years and I would never do my own highlights. If you get a drop of bleach on any other hair then the one you want highlighted you will get spots or hot spots and could look like a calio cat. When I have guest that get both color and highlights but the budget is a little tight. I will do the color and the cut one day and have them come back in a week or two when they get paid again to get the highlight. I read it is a couple of foils not sure what the price is but I charge $6 per foil that way. If you have a salon professional acdemcy never you I will try there it is a Redken school all work is done with an educator there.
Hope this helps
Amy
Your charge - $6 per foil - is very very reasonable. We don't have a Redken school here but we do have Aveda.

Thank you for sharing! <wouldn't want to look like a calico cat >

Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 AM

2,144 posts, read 4,732,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now this sounds about my speed, LOL. But may I ask . . . is your hair colored, and then you put the stuff on to streak it? Or are you applying the streaks to natural hair (not colored?) Cause if your hair is colored and then you put streaks in it . . . that would be exactly my situation.

Great idea! The product is aready "put together" . . . very smart, NCMom. BTW - are we neighbors? I am in Charlotte.

Yes...we're distant neighbors! Lincoln County here!
My hair has always been colored when I've done this.
The longer you leave it on, the blonder it gets.
I just paint on from root to tip where I want the streaks.
It's up to you how thick you want them....

You may have an amount of time you'll need to wait between
putting on your base color and the streaking....I'd read up on that.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Yes...we're distant neighbors! Lincoln County here!
My hair has always been colored when I've done this.
The longer you leave it on, the blonder it gets.
I just paint on from root to tip where I want the streaks.
It's up to you how thick you want them....

You may have an amount of time you'll need to wait between
putting on your base color and the streaking....I'd read up on that.
Sending you hugs ((((NCMom)))). Now I shoulda known a Southern Sister would give me the secret to doing this the easy way!!!! I have no hangups about trying this method at all!!!

I grew up in Catawba Co. We are just crafty, resourceful women from that part of the state . . . Thank you again!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM

187 posts, read 586,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria's Salon View Post
Hope this helps
Amy
What She said!, I also have been a stylist for 18 years and I would never foil my own hair!! EVER! if your foil slips after applying the color you will have "tiger stripes!" Its not that i want you to go waste your money, you can find someone good for a reasonable price. The company I work for is doing a 24-7 sale. 7 foils for $24.00

Old 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
What She said!, I also have been a stylist for 18 years and I would never foil my own hair!! EVER! if your foil slips after applying the color you will have "tiger stripes!" Its not that i want you to go waste your money, you can find someone good for a reasonable price. The company I work for is doing a 24-7 sale. 7 foils for $24.00
Well, as I said in my first post, my stylist does beautiful work . . . and his colorists do, too . . . and I have been very happy w/ all the color work I have had them do. But the cost is just too much - and I have decided I don't want to go one place for color and another for cut. I am a very hands on person and have been messing w/ my hair since I was 14 wh/ makes that close to 40 years. I have done all sorts of things to my hair over the years and two things I know for sure: 1. nothing I have ever done that couldn't be corrected (altho I can't really think of any disasters except color that has not come out to the shade I wanted and 2. Hair grows out.

Decades ago I used to use a cap and do my own frosting - as well as doing all my friends' frosting. Never messed up on myself or anyone else. So I think it will be fun to try NCMom's suggestion and see how it works. If I hate it - so what. I will do what I did back in the 70s . . . when my color came out awful after trying to lighten it, Hee Hee . . . Just re-color it.

I will be picking up some of the L'Oreal in the next week or two and I will post back to let you all know how good (or bad!!!!) it comes out.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM

9,368 posts, read 23,941,495 times
The best that my hair has ever looked has been when I have colored it the base-red color that I like, invite a girlfriend over, get a bottle of wine, a blonding color, a low-light color and some tin foil and just let her go to town, with me advising- "okay, now do the blond, now do the brown". Even my stylist loved it.

If your hair is long, I would suggest two bottles of wine!

Now that I have moved away from my friend, I recently tried using those silver hair clips to affix a sheet of tin foil over the top of my head and pulling the hair through the tinfoil to highlight. I liked it better than the caps that I have tried, as I find them hard to deal with. I just made my own holes through the tin foil with the knitting needle-thing. I am thinking of trying a double layer of tinfoil this weekend- to be able to do the highlights and lowlights..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care